Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Video demonstrating tarsal tunnel surgery

Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 10/22/01 at 17:38 (063433)

I recently viewed a good VHS video of tarsal tunnel surgery. It can be obtained from:

Carolando Productions
6545 West North Avenue
Oak Park, Illinois 60302
1-800-FOOT VIDEO

It is entitled 'Tarsal Tunnel Release.' The narrator, creator and surgeon is Orlando Mercado, DPM. He explains the problem with diagrams and procedes to show almost the entire operation. The particular patient whom he operates on in the tape has entrapment in the porta pedis area and due to a varicosity pressing on the nerve in the tarsal tunnel.

Ed

Re: Video demonstrating tarsal tunnel surgery

elliott on 10/22/01 at 21:41 (063440)

Did that particular patient get his vein ligated? I'm kinda curious, ya know. :-)

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/23/01 at 17:09 (063480)

Yes.

Ed

Scott R on 10/23/01 at 17:36 (063482)

Dr. Davis, does that TTS video cost? I wonder if he'll let me put it on the internet in Real player format.

Re: yeah, but...

elliott on 10/24/01 at 12:58 (063542)

was it successful? :-) And if yes, was it selectively chosen after the fact because it was?

How much does the film cost?

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/24/01 at 14:02 (063548)

Scott:

It has been a while since I ordered the video but believe it was $69. It is actually part of a series called 'The Art of Surgery' which includes a number of different foot surgeries. Contact the company listed to see if they would be willing to go with placing the videos on the net.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/24/01 at 14:12 (063549)

Elliott:

I do not know the outcome of the procedure. I am sure that Dr. Mercado had chosen video of a procedure that went smoothly.

Failure of the procedure can occur even if the technique is perfect. The chance of failure is much lower if the technique is good than if there was a problem with the technique or decision making during the procedure. I think that Dr. Mercado picked a procedure that showed a couple of interesting, if not common scenarios. Entrapment in the porta pedis is a newer concept (proposed by Dellon) and a bit controversial because nobody has ever demonstrated how tight (or loose) the porta pedis should be. The varicose vein etiology I would have stated, was universally accepted, except for the one surgeon whom you are familiar with who disagrees---I certainly have not taken a poll so there may be some others who are against ligation of a varicosity in the tarsal tunnel. I would feel safe to say that that is a very minority opinion.
Ed

elliott on 10/22/01 at 21:41 (063440)

Did that particular patient get his vein ligated? I'm kinda curious, ya know. :-)

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/23/01 at 17:09 (063480)

Yes.

Ed

Scott R on 10/23/01 at 17:36 (063482)

Dr. Davis, does that TTS video cost? I wonder if he'll let me put it on the internet in Real player format.

elliott on 10/24/01 at 12:58 (063542)

was it successful? :-) And if yes, was it selectively chosen after the fact because it was?

How much does the film cost?

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/24/01 at 14:02 (063548)

Scott:

It has been a while since I ordered the video but believe it was $69. It is actually part of a series called 'The Art of Surgery' which includes a number of different foot surgeries. Contact the company listed to see if they would be willing to go with placing the videos on the net.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/24/01 at 14:12 (063549)

Elliott:

I do not know the outcome of the procedure. I am sure that Dr. Mercado had chosen video of a procedure that went smoothly.

Failure of the procedure can occur even if the technique is perfect. The chance of failure is much lower if the technique is good than if there was a problem with the technique or decision making during the procedure. I think that Dr. Mercado picked a procedure that showed a couple of interesting, if not common scenarios. Entrapment in the porta pedis is a newer concept (proposed by Dellon) and a bit controversial because nobody has ever demonstrated how tight (or loose) the porta pedis should be. The varicose vein etiology I would have stated, was universally accepted, except for the one surgeon whom you are familiar with who disagrees---I certainly have not taken a poll so there may be some others who are against ligation of a varicosity in the tarsal tunnel. I would feel safe to say that that is a very minority opinion.
Ed