Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does it ever go away? I mean away!

Posted by Jen I on 10/23/01 at 00:00 (063443)

I am eight weeks out since my Osotron ESWT. Things started to improve at six weeks. It was quite a relief to have less pain. I mean I was at a 8-9-10 on most days and now I can say it is 1-2- and rarely 3! But, I have not started to do anything that might stress it either. I am a triathlete, just dying to get out and run again. Have been back on my bike some. But, I am afraid that if I run, I will end up in treatment again soon. Does this PF ever really go away once you have it chronically? So many people talk about their second and third time through with ESWT. Does one treatment ever do it? or do we just not hear from the success stories because they are off having a pain free life? Just curious.

Re: Does it ever go away? I mean away!

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/23/01 at 01:24 (063444)

Hi,

One treatment can do the trick. Most healing takes place between week six and week twelve. Yes about twenty to thirty percent will need a second treatment but in your case you sound like responder which is someone who is going to get a very good result. Find out if there are any biomechanical problems with your foot. Find out if orthosis are needed. Find out the range of motion and strenght of your foot, ankle.

Good luck. !!!

Jen I on 10/23/01 at 09:21 (063450)

Since the treatment, I have noticed other ankle pain. It feels weak too, and that is a new symptom for me. The outside of my ankle hurts at times. Can that be a result of treatment or is it just lack of use? I was putting on some pretty heavy running and biking miles before all of this happened. Did one long run in great pain and feel this was probably the clincher to PF. My original site of pain on the outside of the heal is really the only place that still hurts. I hope this is a good sign. I have two good sets or orthotics that help me alot. one softer for daily shoes, one set of hard ones for athletic shoes. Thanks Dr. Z. you sure have helped a lot of folks on this site, including me. I will check out the biomechanical side of things at my next appointment with Dr. Kline here in Michigan. I was told that a bunion was causing flattening of my arch and overpronation when I run. I hope the orthotics will help correct if and when I ever am able to run again.

john h on 10/26/01 at 12:08 (063625)

Jen: If there is one thing you must learn with PF it is 'patience'! There is no quick cure or quick fix. It will come in its on time with your help and on its own terms with your help. I had hallux limitus which is very similar to a bunion and it most certainly will alter the way you walk and run and could lead to or aggreviate PF.

Joanne S on 11/17/01 at 08:58 (064903)

I had PF really bad. It took 4 Osotron ESWT treatments to feel really relief. I am tender occasionally but so much better. I work on my feet all day at work and now go shopping after work or do whatever without any pain. I still wear my shoe inserts, nightsplint, and stretch. I also Never go barefoot, even in the shower. I don't want to go back to where I was. My ossotron treatments were spaced 6wks apart for the 2nd, 3rd and 2 weeks apart for the last one I had (4th treatment). Don't know if spacing makes any difference. The last two treatments were done at really low settings on the machine.

BrianG on 11/17/01 at 22:38 (064919)

Hi Joanne,

I'm no expert, but I do believe PF can, and does come back in many people. I know that Pauline, who posts occasionally, has had 3 or 4 bouts of PF. I know if it was me, I would be treating my feet like gold. If and when I ever get healed, I'll do stuff, like hike, walk, etc. I would never, ever get a standing job again. Would you even think about changing jobs? I think it would really help eliminate possible reacurances, jmho :*) Good luck

BCG

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/18/01 at 06:46 (064930)

Hi,

I am glad that you are doing well. The machine that we used on your foot was the orbasone . The ossatron doesn't have the treatment approach where you can continue to give additional ESWT treatments such as we did in your case

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/23/01 at 01:24 (063444)

Hi,

One treatment can do the trick. Most healing takes place between week six and week twelve. Yes about twenty to thirty percent will need a second treatment but in your case you sound like responder which is someone who is going to get a very good result. Find out if there are any biomechanical problems with your foot. Find out if orthosis are needed. Find out the range of motion and strenght of your foot, ankle.

Good luck. !!!

Jen I on 10/23/01 at 09:21 (063450)

Since the treatment, I have noticed other ankle pain. It feels weak too, and that is a new symptom for me. The outside of my ankle hurts at times. Can that be a result of treatment or is it just lack of use? I was putting on some pretty heavy running and biking miles before all of this happened. Did one long run in great pain and feel this was probably the clincher to PF. My original site of pain on the outside of the heal is really the only place that still hurts. I hope this is a good sign. I have two good sets or orthotics that help me alot. one softer for daily shoes, one set of hard ones for athletic shoes. Thanks Dr. Z. you sure have helped a lot of folks on this site, including me. I will check out the biomechanical side of things at my next appointment with Dr. Kline here in Michigan. I was told that a bunion was causing flattening of my arch and overpronation when I run. I hope the orthotics will help correct if and when I ever am able to run again.

john h on 10/26/01 at 12:08 (063625)

Jen: If there is one thing you must learn with PF it is 'patience'! There is no quick cure or quick fix. It will come in its on time with your help and on its own terms with your help. I had hallux limitus which is very similar to a bunion and it most certainly will alter the way you walk and run and could lead to or aggreviate PF.

Joanne S on 11/17/01 at 08:58 (064903)

I had PF really bad. It took 4 Osotron ESWT treatments to feel really relief. I am tender occasionally but so much better. I work on my feet all day at work and now go shopping after work or do whatever without any pain. I still wear my shoe inserts, nightsplint, and stretch. I also Never go barefoot, even in the shower. I don't want to go back to where I was. My ossotron treatments were spaced 6wks apart for the 2nd, 3rd and 2 weeks apart for the last one I had (4th treatment). Don't know if spacing makes any difference. The last two treatments were done at really low settings on the machine.

BrianG on 11/17/01 at 22:38 (064919)

Hi Joanne,

I'm no expert, but I do believe PF can, and does come back in many people. I know that Pauline, who posts occasionally, has had 3 or 4 bouts of PF. I know if it was me, I would be treating my feet like gold. If and when I ever get healed, I'll do stuff, like hike, walk, etc. I would never, ever get a standing job again. Would you even think about changing jobs? I think it would really help eliminate possible reacurances, jmho :*) Good luck

BCG

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/18/01 at 06:46 (064930)

Hi,

I am glad that you are doing well. The machine that we used on your foot was the orbasone . The ossatron doesn't have the treatment approach where you can continue to give additional ESWT treatments such as we did in your case