Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel pain-bottom of foot

Posted by Sharon D on 10/23/01 at 12:25 (063456)

My mom (89) has severe osteoporosis and recently has started experiencing pain on the bottom of her foot in the heel area (one foot only) but only at night when she's in bed. Not when she walks on it. Because of her condition, she spends most of her time in slippers and her doctor suggested putting heel pads in her slippers. This has not helped. In reading through the material here, I see that heel pads are bad and that she may need to wear shoes with more support for her arch when she is up during the day. Any help or suggestions you can offer would be very much appreciated. The pain keeps her up at night...she says it feels like someone is sticking pins in her heel.

Re: Heel pain-bottom of foot

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/23/01 at 17:07 (063479)

Elderly patients often have atrophy of the fat pad under the heel bone. Plastic heel cups can be very helpful (MF brand works the best in this situation).
Ed

Sharon D on 10/24/01 at 17:48 (063565)

Dr. Davis,
Thank you very much for your response. I will get heel cups for mom to try.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/23/01 at 17:07 (063479)

Elderly patients often have atrophy of the fat pad under the heel bone. Plastic heel cups can be very helpful (MF brand works the best in this situation).
Ed

Sharon D on 10/24/01 at 17:48 (063565)

Dr. Davis,
Thank you very much for your response. I will get heel cups for mom to try.