Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A.R.T.

Posted by Annette on 10/23/01 at 18:45 (063488)

Has anyone here tried A.R.T.( active release technique) and if so, has it helped? From what I have read about it, A.R.T. has had great results. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Annette

Re: A.R.T.

Pamela S on 10/24/01 at 12:01 (063540)

I have had ART (at the tail-end of a 2 year bout of plantar fasciitis). What it does is bust up the adhesions. Count on it hurting while it is being done. It is definitely worth giving a try.

Carlw on 10/25/01 at 14:05 (063595)

Annette,

I have had around 15 sessions of ART. It seems to make sense what they are doing (breaking adhesions). However, I cant say that I have substantially improved from it though. I have had PF for about 1.5 years and have multiple pain spots on my feet. After each ART session I feel better, however after a few days it seems back to the same old. My thoughts are that my own physiology creats the scar tissue faster than it can be broken down or absorbed. I would definitely give it a try though.

Carl

JudyS on 10/26/01 at 10:18 (063616)

Annette I had ART treatments about a year ago and found that they were about the first thing I'd 'tried' that helped with great improvement....this probably because I'd let the PF get so bad that I had a huge amount of scar tissue. I went three times a week at first, then two - this for about three months. In retrospect I would not do it three times a week again because the treatment itself can cause some soreness for a day or so and I think one needs more time to let that settle down between treatments. If you do it, be sure to keep up with icing, ibuprofen and VERY gentle stretching on a daily basis.

Annette on 10/27/01 at 01:40 (063671)

Thanks so much for your input Judy, Carl and Pamela. I have had PF for nearly 3 years and have not had much improvement ( well....
enough improvement for me to run again) After 3 pairs of custom orthotics, 2 night splints 4 Dr.s and 2 therapists, I think that it is time to try something else. Good luck to everyone and thanks again!
Annette

Patty S. on 11/04/01 at 23:07 (064138)

Annette,
I had PF and posted on ART about 18-24 months ago. Dont frequent the board very much anymore, as I consider myself 'cured'. If you do a search you will pull up all of my old posts and several others that convinced me to try it. I am fortunate to live near San Jose, CA where the brother of the Dr. who started doing ART lives, so I felt comfortable going to him. I went about 8-10 times, 2x a week. He told me that he would be able to tell at the first treatment if it was going to work. I say if you live near a qualified practicioner that you might consider trying it.

Pamela S on 10/24/01 at 12:01 (063540)

I have had ART (at the tail-end of a 2 year bout of plantar fasciitis). What it does is bust up the adhesions. Count on it hurting while it is being done. It is definitely worth giving a try.

Carlw on 10/25/01 at 14:05 (063595)

Annette,

I have had around 15 sessions of ART. It seems to make sense what they are doing (breaking adhesions). However, I cant say that I have substantially improved from it though. I have had PF for about 1.5 years and have multiple pain spots on my feet. After each ART session I feel better, however after a few days it seems back to the same old. My thoughts are that my own physiology creats the scar tissue faster than it can be broken down or absorbed. I would definitely give it a try though.

Carl

JudyS on 10/26/01 at 10:18 (063616)

Annette I had ART treatments about a year ago and found that they were about the first thing I'd 'tried' that helped with great improvement....this probably because I'd let the PF get so bad that I had a huge amount of scar tissue. I went three times a week at first, then two - this for about three months. In retrospect I would not do it three times a week again because the treatment itself can cause some soreness for a day or so and I think one needs more time to let that settle down between treatments. If you do it, be sure to keep up with icing, ibuprofen and VERY gentle stretching on a daily basis.

Annette on 10/27/01 at 01:40 (063671)

Thanks so much for your input Judy, Carl and Pamela. I have had PF for nearly 3 years and have not had much improvement ( well....
enough improvement for me to run again) After 3 pairs of custom orthotics, 2 night splints 4 Dr.s and 2 therapists, I think that it is time to try something else. Good luck to everyone and thanks again!
Annette

Patty S. on 11/04/01 at 23:07 (064138)

Annette,
I had PF and posted on ART about 18-24 months ago. Dont frequent the board very much anymore, as I consider myself 'cured'. If you do a search you will pull up all of my old posts and several others that convinced me to try it. I am fortunate to live near San Jose, CA where the brother of the Dr. who started doing ART lives, so I felt comfortable going to him. I went about 8-10 times, 2x a week. He told me that he would be able to tell at the first treatment if it was going to work. I say if you live near a qualified practicioner that you might consider trying it.