Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF, lots of pain

Posted by Darlene on 10/24/01 at 22:23 (063581)

I began having plantar fasciitis about 4 years ago and it was horrible. I finally went to a podiatrist and he put me in orthotics, gave me a shot in my foot. Recommended some herbal remedy for the inflammation which I didn't take. I continued with Ibuprofen which didn't help. Finally it let up but continued to flare about every 6 months for as long as 4 months at a time. A gp I was going to just gave me 800 mg. Ibuprofen twice a day for however long I needed it. I later changed doctors for different reasons. In July 2000, my new gp gave me a two shots of cortisone in my heel and like magic, the pain was gone overnight. I also wore the gel pads for my heels that he gave me. It began coming back in April 2001 though and has progressed to the point that I am in constant pain. I changed shoes which helped a short few weeks (eased the pain but didn't aleviate it). In June 2001, my gp gave me another shot of cortisone in my heel and this time it did not help. Not at all.
In late Sept. I went to an orthopedic surgeon by referral, who dx tendinitis in my ankle in addition to the PF. I got two cortisone shots. It helped the ankle but not the PF. He wanted to inject me again earlier this month but I refused so he asked me to try the walking cast for 4-6 weeks. I wear it all day at work, I sleep in it, and take it off only for showers. He assured me that I did not want to have surgery as the majority of surgeries for PF were unsuccessful. The first 10 days, the pain relief from this boot was fantastic. My foot hardly hurt at all. Then wham, it's back again. ON my own, I am taking 800mg. ibuprofen twice a day and I have to take at least one Ultram about 3 hours into my work day and another about 4-5 hours after that one. It helps take the edge off so I can work. I am about at the end of my rope! I can't take much more of this constant pain.
I am due to go back to him in a few weeks. Should I take more cortisone shots?
How many of this dexamethasone (sp) shots should a person take in a year? I have had at least 5.
Does this medication really cause tissue and bone degeneration as I have heard it will?
I wear New Balance shoes most all the time and have a pair of Birkenstock sandals as house shoes. I wear Lady Foot Locker sport inserts since August of this year and they are comfortable, but don't offer much in the way of pain relief. The gel heel pads don't help this time around either.

Re: Darlene

Carmen H on 10/30/01 at 12:10 (063828)

Hi Darlene~

I am not a doctor but it seems they are very busy with answering posts so until you hear from them I thought I'd drop a quick note. First I would say that if the cortizone didn't work the second time don't get another. If it doesn't work move on to something that does. Second PF can cause all kinds of problems and muscle atrophy I am quite sure is one of them. If you are not using your foot muscles (which you are probably not while wearing a cast) those muscles are going to get VERY weak. If you are not involved on some sort of Physical Therapy I would recommend you look into it. Ask your doctor what would be the best approach for you. I am confused about a gp giving a cortizone shot in your foot? I would only trust a POD or an ORTHO in foot and ankle med to do that.
Anyway...make sure your ortho knows your complete history and any meds you are on.

Re: Darlene

Carmen H on 10/30/01 at 12:10 (063828)

Hi Darlene~

I am not a doctor but it seems they are very busy with answering posts so until you hear from them I thought I'd drop a quick note. First I would say that if the cortizone didn't work the second time don't get another. If it doesn't work move on to something that does. Second PF can cause all kinds of problems and muscle atrophy I am quite sure is one of them. If you are not using your foot muscles (which you are probably not while wearing a cast) those muscles are going to get VERY weak. If you are not involved on some sort of Physical Therapy I would recommend you look into it. Ask your doctor what would be the best approach for you. I am confused about a gp giving a cortizone shot in your foot? I would only trust a POD or an ORTHO in foot and ankle med to do that.
Anyway...make sure your ortho knows your complete history and any meds you are on.