Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I Made It!

Posted by Valerie S on 10/25/01 at 14:18 (063598)

Hi to all my great friends.

We just got our computer back after moving... Now living in Frankfort, Michigan.

My feet went through some terrible times, doing all that moving, I'll tell you what! We are experiencing 40 mph winds right now, and our yard is full of maple leaves from who knows where!!

Everything is great... my husband loves his new career (finally!), and we have a great deal renting a 3 bedroom house for $500/month. Our internet connection went from cable to 33.6K modem speed... aargh. I got sick of waiting for my mailbox to open. I have like 80 more messages to read... ha.

Well, I just wanted to check in... let you all know that I am alive and kicking, thinking of you... still working on unpacking and arranging our new home. I feel like a housewife... I think I'm a housewife. hee hee.

Have a great day, and I hope you all feel fine soon.

Your loyal friend, Val.

Re: I Made It!

nancy s. on 10/25/01 at 23:31 (063606)

congrats! how many boxes did you have to pack? i'm in the middle of packing to move also. about 15 boxes are packed, and there are about 97 more to go. it's driving me cRaZy. how does one stand it?

one thing that helped me today was driving to the corner store and my eye falling on a huge tabloid headline:

'MINI-MERMAID FOUND IN TUNA SANDWICH!'

i laughed while checking out, laughed my way out the door, laughed all the way home in the truck, and am still laughing. i am helpless in the face of this headline, and i never thought i'd thank a tabloid for anything, but today i thank it.

Valerie S on 10/26/01 at 12:58 (063633)

Luckily for me, we moved from a small one bedroom apartment into a 3 bedroom house. Total number of boxes: about 70 maybe. I found myself making piles and sitting down with boxes in front of me. Mostly I found myself overdoing it and then moaning because my feet were on fire all night long... I have experienced much improvement over the last year of PF, and hope that by this time next year I will be my old self again (only much wiser and of course more beautiful than ever).

Which paper did you see this headline on? I am about to rush to the store myself. I want to read all about it. I love the Weekly World News, buy it about twice a year... hee hee.

Thanks for the chuckle and happy packing.

Val.

nancy s. on 10/27/01 at 06:56 (063675)

well, you know, i think the paper did have something like 'world news' in the title. i don't remember the whole thing, though, to tell you the truth.
are your feet now getting back to where they were before your move, valerie? i've been on mine for about three hours straight for five days in a row -- yesterday wearing my nb's instead of Birkenstock mostly standing on the concrete floor of the barn, making decisions, then packing.
and this morning 'My Feet Are Killing Me.' i haven't had to say that in a long time, and i'm so distraught! it's the bottoms of both heels -- they feel like shattered glass. and i still HAVE to pack for another eight days!
i think i calculated wrong. if you had 70 boxes for a move from a small one-bdrm apt., then we're probably going to have 570 boxes from a 2 and 1/2 bdrm house plus full barn! i don't know how i'm going to do it. my feet are killing me. my feet are killing me.
nancy

JudyS on 10/27/01 at 12:03 (063683)

Oh No, Nancy! I MISS that barn already! I don't want you to pack it up! Although I suppose the new shop will be just as full of character!
However, rule number one - feet first! Long days that follow eachother make for a bad, long-term time.

nancy s. on 10/27/01 at 22:08 (063695)

judy . . . you're right, of course . . . what would be my own response to my post if someone else had written it? it would be: Get off 'em!!!

my sister is coming tomorrow until tuesday to help, and she'll keep me off my feet and using my head. who will take over after she leaves, Ms. Judy? maybe a baseball player from san diego? a multi-talented wonderwoman? a generous-hearted soul?

ok, judy! just let me know what time your plane gets in -- see ya at the jetport on wednesday.

Re: My Feet Are Killing Me

Valerie S on 10/28/01 at 21:00 (063742)

Nancy... I have been saying this a lot these last couple of weeks, too. It is scary... Hot Razor Blades in the heels and burning arches. The pain level seemed to level out and I am STILL a lot better than I was a few months ago, so I am not going to give up...

We left our couch behind, which is good because it helps me stay motivated (especially since we discovered that cable is being pumped in here for free right now... anyone ever see the diy (do it yourself) network?... I'm hooked already...) but the lack of furniture is bad because I stand almost all day long. I get my husband to do all the heavy moving while I do the busy work. I have to decide where everything goes though, so I will be able to find it (even if he puts it away, he never seems to be able to find anything.. must be a guy thing).

I read this great book right before I found out we were moving called 'getting rid of the clutter'... amazing inspiration for me to ditch a lot of stuff. I don't think that I really had 70 boxes. Probably less than 50 really. A lot of our stuff didn't make the trip... the only thing I have replaced so far was a rolling pin (don't ask me why I got rid of that...)

I wish we had furniture... :(PIPE)

The trick now is trying to survive on $4 for the next week... hee hee. There sure are worse places to be...

So while you are packing and handling every possession you have, it's a great time to really think about the fresh start you are making... One of the tips from the book: 'If you pick up an item and say to yourself 'This might come in handy someday,' GET RID OF the item immediately.' hee hee. I thought this to be very funny when I read it, but found I had many things that had been grand ideas to me at one time and I had been hanging on to them for years. Eliminating some of this clutter, I believe, has been one saving factor for my poor feet these last couple of weeks. I save papers... an information collector, they called it. hee hee.

Take it easy, and get all the help you can. I don't know what your barn is like... is there any way you can work from a stool or chair? Maybe you can set a timer for every half hour... when the timer goes off, you must stop and put your feet up for at least 10 minutes. During this time, you can sort through stuff if you want, or just have a nice cool drink while you reflect. Moving is a great time for regrouping in so many areas of your mind and your life....

Good luck. I hope everything goes well for you.

I looked for that magazine, but couldn't find it. I think they might have the article online... I'll look for it tomorrow.

Take it easy... Val

Re: Valerie and moving

Carmen H on 10/30/01 at 07:46 (063804)

Hi Valerie....I too am surrounded by boxes....this past weekend was a hard one...we moved into our new home and had to paint the house too.
My feet hurt so bad I wanted to cut them off! So I hear your pain...moving is a stinker!

nancy s. on 10/25/01 at 23:31 (063606)

congrats! how many boxes did you have to pack? i'm in the middle of packing to move also. about 15 boxes are packed, and there are about 97 more to go. it's driving me cRaZy. how does one stand it?

one thing that helped me today was driving to the corner store and my eye falling on a huge tabloid headline:

'MINI-MERMAID FOUND IN TUNA SANDWICH!'

i laughed while checking out, laughed my way out the door, laughed all the way home in the truck, and am still laughing. i am helpless in the face of this headline, and i never thought i'd thank a tabloid for anything, but today i thank it.

Valerie S on 10/26/01 at 12:58 (063633)

Luckily for me, we moved from a small one bedroom apartment into a 3 bedroom house. Total number of boxes: about 70 maybe. I found myself making piles and sitting down with boxes in front of me. Mostly I found myself overdoing it and then moaning because my feet were on fire all night long... I have experienced much improvement over the last year of PF, and hope that by this time next year I will be my old self again (only much wiser and of course more beautiful than ever).

Which paper did you see this headline on? I am about to rush to the store myself. I want to read all about it. I love the Weekly World News, buy it about twice a year... hee hee.

Thanks for the chuckle and happy packing.

Val.

nancy s. on 10/27/01 at 06:56 (063675)

well, you know, i think the paper did have something like 'world news' in the title. i don't remember the whole thing, though, to tell you the truth.
are your feet now getting back to where they were before your move, valerie? i've been on mine for about three hours straight for five days in a row -- yesterday wearing my nb's instead of Birkenstock mostly standing on the concrete floor of the barn, making decisions, then packing.
and this morning 'My Feet Are Killing Me.' i haven't had to say that in a long time, and i'm so distraught! it's the bottoms of both heels -- they feel like shattered glass. and i still HAVE to pack for another eight days!
i think i calculated wrong. if you had 70 boxes for a move from a small one-bdrm apt., then we're probably going to have 570 boxes from a 2 and 1/2 bdrm house plus full barn! i don't know how i'm going to do it. my feet are killing me. my feet are killing me.
nancy

JudyS on 10/27/01 at 12:03 (063683)

Oh No, Nancy! I MISS that barn already! I don't want you to pack it up! Although I suppose the new shop will be just as full of character!
However, rule number one - feet first! Long days that follow eachother make for a bad, long-term time.

nancy s. on 10/27/01 at 22:08 (063695)

judy . . . you're right, of course . . . what would be my own response to my post if someone else had written it? it would be: Get off 'em!!!

my sister is coming tomorrow until tuesday to help, and she'll keep me off my feet and using my head. who will take over after she leaves, Ms. Judy? maybe a baseball player from san diego? a multi-talented wonderwoman? a generous-hearted soul?

ok, judy! just let me know what time your plane gets in -- see ya at the jetport on wednesday.

Re: My Feet Are Killing Me

Valerie S on 10/28/01 at 21:00 (063742)

Nancy... I have been saying this a lot these last couple of weeks, too. It is scary... Hot Razor Blades in the heels and burning arches. The pain level seemed to level out and I am STILL a lot better than I was a few months ago, so I am not going to give up...

We left our couch behind, which is good because it helps me stay motivated (especially since we discovered that cable is being pumped in here for free right now... anyone ever see the diy (do it yourself) network?... I'm hooked already...) but the lack of furniture is bad because I stand almost all day long. I get my husband to do all the heavy moving while I do the busy work. I have to decide where everything goes though, so I will be able to find it (even if he puts it away, he never seems to be able to find anything.. must be a guy thing).

I read this great book right before I found out we were moving called 'getting rid of the clutter'... amazing inspiration for me to ditch a lot of stuff. I don't think that I really had 70 boxes. Probably less than 50 really. A lot of our stuff didn't make the trip... the only thing I have replaced so far was a rolling pin (don't ask me why I got rid of that...)

I wish we had furniture... :(PIPE)

The trick now is trying to survive on $4 for the next week... hee hee. There sure are worse places to be...

So while you are packing and handling every possession you have, it's a great time to really think about the fresh start you are making... One of the tips from the book: 'If you pick up an item and say to yourself 'This might come in handy someday,' GET RID OF the item immediately.' hee hee. I thought this to be very funny when I read it, but found I had many things that had been grand ideas to me at one time and I had been hanging on to them for years. Eliminating some of this clutter, I believe, has been one saving factor for my poor feet these last couple of weeks. I save papers... an information collector, they called it. hee hee.

Take it easy, and get all the help you can. I don't know what your barn is like... is there any way you can work from a stool or chair? Maybe you can set a timer for every half hour... when the timer goes off, you must stop and put your feet up for at least 10 minutes. During this time, you can sort through stuff if you want, or just have a nice cool drink while you reflect. Moving is a great time for regrouping in so many areas of your mind and your life....

Good luck. I hope everything goes well for you.

I looked for that magazine, but couldn't find it. I think they might have the article online... I'll look for it tomorrow.

Take it easy... Val

Re: Valerie and moving

Carmen H on 10/30/01 at 07:46 (063804)

Hi Valerie....I too am surrounded by boxes....this past weekend was a hard one...we moved into our new home and had to paint the house too.
My feet hurt so bad I wanted to cut them off! So I hear your pain...moving is a stinker!