Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

birks : tatami trekking sandals -- opinions please?

Posted by nancy s. on 10/27/01 at 23:07 (063697)

hi friends, i've got the bostons in regular and soft footbeds; montereys; and tatami nebraskas.

i'm now getting interested in trying one that would be a good walking sandal -- good for, say, an hour -- and the tatami trekking ones look good to me.

has anyone tried these? especially the *sonoma* style, but i'd like to hear feedback on any of the other tatami trekking sandals.

thanks!

n.

Re: I've got the Rio Bravo-great for me

Brenda G. on 10/28/01 at 09:33 (063715)

Hi, Nancy. I started with the Boston a year ago and it has really been a help in my recovery, but the arch always felt a little low. I ordered the Tatami Rio Bravo about a month ago. It is a trekking sandal with a removeable backstrap. I love this shoe!!! The footbed is that new type, already feels 'broken in', kinda soft in the heel part, but,oh that wonderful high arch! And it hits my arch right in the center. I believe you responded to my post about over-the-counter arches hitting too far back, almost on the heel. Well, this is perfect for me. I've determined that the Footprints line of Birkenstock are just too flat for me, and the Classic will 'do' but not really high enough. I see now that some Tatamis have a lower arch, I hope they don't change them all. I looked at the Sonoma, is the backstrap adjustable? I couldn't tell in the pic. Most adjust on the outside of shoe and the Sonoma didn't have one there. Perhaps it adjusts on the inside of the ankle. Good luck!!Brenda

Re: check this site-they are on sale!!

Brenda G. on 10/28/01 at 10:01 (063718)

Nancy, I just checked Birkenstock.com and they have some of the Sonomas and Rio Bravos on sale! They are originally $145, now for $93. I know some on this board order from the German site, which I've never done. You could check this price against theirs. Good luck. Brenda PS-I couldn't resist, ordered RioBravo in another color. I'm so bad!!! :-)

Brenda G. on 10/28/01 at 10:16 (063720)

Nancy, my post was copied incorrectly. I was trying to let you know that a site for Birkenstock not the German site, has these on sale. But when I type Birkenstock it comes up as a link to the german site. So I'll put it this way- go to http://www.b----------express.com , they have the sale. I hope this makes sense. Scott R., why does this happen? Thanks Brenda G.

scott r on 10/28/01 at 13:31 (063728)

the German site recently claimed they were going to pay a commission on sales from heelspurs.com, but they already were getting free links. I have the program to automatically link to the German website because from what I've seen they cost half as much as American websites.

Re: Pleased with German site...

Suzanne D on 10/29/01 at 21:06 (063793)

Receiving my first pair of Birkenstock ordered from the German site Saturday, I can attest to their prompt and courteous service and frequent e-mail updates on the status of my shoes. (Mine were in production when I ordered them, and they quickly let me know that and e-mailed again when they were ready to ship.) The price was MUCH cheaper than anywhere else, and I was able to get the Annapolis style in a 43. In the catalog and other sites, 42 was as high as they were available. I will order again from them someday as I was quite pleased. Next time I might try to remember to let the post office know to expect their arrival. There aren't too many packages which arrive in our small area from overseas. I think the postal workers were scared when they saw my package! :-)

Re: I just noticed the Nebraskas have the lower arch

Brenda G on 10/30/01 at 06:28 (063800)

You might try the higher arch Tatami in a store somewhere before you order on-line. I've seen earlier posts that the higher arch Tatami increased pain in some. For me it's wonderful. Good luck. Brenda

PatC on 10/30/01 at 07:51 (063805)

I bought a pair of the Alice Tatami's which I have been slowing breaking in. I wore them to the grocery store yesterday and didn't have any problems. Of course they are more of a dressy shoe than a walking shoe. They look good and they feel good. The only other shoe that I have been able to wear is the Boston. I wish I could find a comfortable walking shoe.

Re: I've got the Rio Bravo-great for me

Brenda G. on 10/28/01 at 09:33 (063715)

Hi, Nancy. I started with the Boston a year ago and it has really been a help in my recovery, but the arch always felt a little low. I ordered the Tatami Rio Bravo about a month ago. It is a trekking sandal with a removeable backstrap. I love this shoe!!! The footbed is that new type, already feels 'broken in', kinda soft in the heel part, but,oh that wonderful high arch! And it hits my arch right in the center. I believe you responded to my post about over-the-counter arches hitting too far back, almost on the heel. Well, this is perfect for me. I've determined that the Footprints line of Birkenstock are just too flat for me, and the Classic will 'do' but not really high enough. I see now that some Tatamis have a lower arch, I hope they don't change them all. I looked at the Sonoma, is the backstrap adjustable? I couldn't tell in the pic. Most adjust on the outside of shoe and the Sonoma didn't have one there. Perhaps it adjusts on the inside of the ankle. Good luck!!Brenda

Brenda G. on 10/28/01 at 10:01 (063718)

Nancy, I just checked Birkenstock.com and they have some of the Sonomas and Rio Bravos on sale! They are originally $145, now for $93. I know some on this board order from the German site, which I've never done. You could check this price against theirs. Good luck. Brenda PS-I couldn't resist, ordered RioBravo in another color. I'm so bad!!! :-)

Brenda G. on 10/28/01 at 10:16 (063720)

Nancy, my post was copied incorrectly. I was trying to let you know that a site for Birkenstock not the German site, has these on sale. But when I type Birkenstock it comes up as a link to the german site. So I'll put it this way- go to http://www.b----------express.com , they have the sale. I hope this makes sense. Scott R., why does this happen? Thanks Brenda G.

scott r on 10/28/01 at 13:31 (063728)

the German site recently claimed they were going to pay a commission on sales from heelspurs.com, but they already were getting free links. I have the program to automatically link to the German website because from what I've seen they cost half as much as American websites.

Re: Pleased with German site...

Suzanne D on 10/29/01 at 21:06 (063793)

Receiving my first pair of Birkenstock ordered from the German site Saturday, I can attest to their prompt and courteous service and frequent e-mail updates on the status of my shoes. (Mine were in production when I ordered them, and they quickly let me know that and e-mailed again when they were ready to ship.) The price was MUCH cheaper than anywhere else, and I was able to get the Annapolis style in a 43. In the catalog and other sites, 42 was as high as they were available. I will order again from them someday as I was quite pleased. Next time I might try to remember to let the post office know to expect their arrival. There aren't too many packages which arrive in our small area from overseas. I think the postal workers were scared when they saw my package! :-)

Brenda G on 10/30/01 at 06:28 (063800)

You might try the higher arch Tatami in a store somewhere before you order on-line. I've seen earlier posts that the higher arch Tatami increased pain in some. For me it's wonderful. Good luck. Brenda

PatC on 10/30/01 at 07:51 (063805)

I bought a pair of the Alice Tatami's which I have been slowing breaking in. I wore them to the grocery store yesterday and didn't have any problems. Of course they are more of a dressy shoe than a walking shoe. They look good and they feel good. The only other shoe that I have been able to wear is the Boston. I wish I could find a comfortable walking shoe.