Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post-op update...I'M WALKING NOW!!!

Posted by CindyF on 10/28/01 at 01:23 (063708)

I don't know if ya'll remember me...but I was the one who had 3 surgeries on my foot and ankle since April 2001...ankle repair...TTS surgery with all my nerves trapped in my foot....then I had an infection and had one more surgery to debreid the area and stitch it up....then got one more infection that caused another hole....(wow...just typing it reminds me of the pain..*L*)...
Anyway....I just thought I would give an update...it's been about 5 weeks since the last update...and about 7 weeks since the last surgery...
Well..I'm finally walking...with a cane...but hey...it's walking...and boy am I excited...
I was non-weight bearing since July...using crutches and a wheelchair...going to physical therapy and wound care treatments...
My open area on my foot is just about gone...went from the size of a quarter to about 1/4 inch or smaller in size...
The Ortho finally let me crutch walk about 2 weeks ago with the walking boot on....but the boot was setting me back in the physical therapy because it kept my ankle so immobile and I had to almost start all over each time in therapy because I couldn't move my ankle much after it was in the boot.....a no win situation....but hey...I'm starting to think that's my life..*L*
Anyway...the physical therapist suggested I crutch walk with just my post-op shoe....so I could strengthen my ankle...and calf muscle...which both had pretty much lost all muscle mass...and I did...for about a week...then I progressed to a cane...which I could do if I stretched my muscles in the calf and foot prior to each standing...and that lead me to now...
I can walk with the cane....but only for short periods of time...because my ankle and foot tire easily....and get very sore if I over do it...
I can wear both of my normal shoes now...but only ones with a soft interior that doesn't rub the tarsel tunel area....
I bought me some Birkenstock...but they are sandals and the edge of them hit right where the open area is on my foot...so I will have to wait until that area is totally healed before I can wear them....
It has been a long road....but I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel....
This has really had me down due to the fact I spend alot of time alone because my husbands job takes him away for 3 weeks at a time...but it's getting better...
I was so depressed watching everyone come and go...and here I was...at home for so many days at a time without even going outside...due to being non weight bearing...it was just such a chore to get out and about...
But...that's changed now....I go places now....and by myself too...no problem....I got my trusty little cane...I'm 38...looking 88 with the cane...but I use it proudly...because I can walk....
My husband has been great....he made me get out of the house all the time when he was home....loading and unloading the wheelchair over and over...without one complaint....just a smile...
I want to thank those of you who have responded to me these last several months...with the words of encouragement...it really helped me when I was down...*S*
I will keep you posted on how things are going...
I hope this letter finds you all in good health and good spirits!!
CindyF

Re: Post-op update...I'M WALKING NOW!!!

nancy s. on 10/28/01 at 06:17 (063712)

hi cindy f: you probably haven't heard from me before, because i don't have tts. but i wanted to thank you for posting anyway -- i think your post will uplift many people who struggle post-op. your attitude in the face of all your trials is really admirable, and i salute you! last but certainly not least, congratulations on finally walking! you sound so happy, and i'm happy for you. keep up your great spirit.
nancy

Laurie R on 10/28/01 at 12:02 (063723)

Dear Cindy , How wonderful you are walking .... You sure sound like you have been through a lot .... I wish you the best and thank you so much for your wonderful update. Laurie R

millie.w on 10/29/01 at 00:09 (063746)

hi
boy can i relate to you. i had a heel spur removed off the back of my left heel which involved the tendon. i had the surgury july 20th and all summer all i could do was watch everyone else have fun.i would just envy the people how would walk around the campground that i camp at.and now i can walk barely,and i get so frustrated that i could screem.i,m back to work and on my feet for 6 hours out of the 8.my foot kills me i have to stop and sit down to relieve the pain.now im starting to get sharp stabbing pains in my foot and im wondering if this is normal.i,m like you i cherish every baby step i take towards walking normal again.i just wish it would go alittle faster.i,m glad to hear your doing better.it sounds like you had alot of set backs.get well soon.

Re: congrats and good luck on a full recovery! (nm)

elliott on 10/29/01 at 12:10 (063760)

eileenc on 11/03/01 at 16:44 (064063)

Good news on your mobilization.

You said that you are wearing shoes, but only ones that are soft. Don't they hit the tarsal tunnel area too?

I ask because I tried Birkenstock unsuccessfully and wonder what you are wearing now.

I have had one unsuccessful Tarsal tunnel Release in 1997.

nancy s. on 10/28/01 at 06:17 (063712)

hi cindy f: you probably haven't heard from me before, because i don't have tts. but i wanted to thank you for posting anyway -- i think your post will uplift many people who struggle post-op. your attitude in the face of all your trials is really admirable, and i salute you! last but certainly not least, congratulations on finally walking! you sound so happy, and i'm happy for you. keep up your great spirit.
nancy

Laurie R on 10/28/01 at 12:02 (063723)

Dear Cindy , How wonderful you are walking .... You sure sound like you have been through a lot .... I wish you the best and thank you so much for your wonderful update. Laurie R

millie.w on 10/29/01 at 00:09 (063746)

hi
boy can i relate to you. i had a heel spur removed off the back of my left heel which involved the tendon. i had the surgury july 20th and all summer all i could do was watch everyone else have fun.i would just envy the people how would walk around the campground that i camp at.and now i can walk barely,and i get so frustrated that i could screem.i,m back to work and on my feet for 6 hours out of the 8.my foot kills me i have to stop and sit down to relieve the pain.now im starting to get sharp stabbing pains in my foot and im wondering if this is normal.i,m like you i cherish every baby step i take towards walking normal again.i just wish it would go alittle faster.i,m glad to hear your doing better.it sounds like you had alot of set backs.get well soon.

Re: congrats and good luck on a full recovery! (nm)

elliott on 10/29/01 at 12:10 (063760)

eileenc on 11/03/01 at 16:44 (064063)

Good news on your mobilization.

You said that you are wearing shoes, but only ones that are soft. Don't they hit the tarsal tunnel area too?

I ask because I tried Birkenstock unsuccessfully and wonder what you are wearing now.

I have had one unsuccessful Tarsal tunnel Release in 1997.