Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What do I do now?

Posted by Sheri M on 10/28/01 at 10:18 (063721)

Hi, I had heel spur surgery in April of this year, it is now going on 7 months since I had this surgery. I had orthotics made because my surgeon said that the surgery made my foot go flat. The orthotics do not seem to be helping. I have more pain with my foot now then I did before the surgery. Not only does my heel hurt but I am also having pain in my little toe. I'm not sure what this pain is caused from but I am sure that is has to do with my foot now being flat, maybe the pressure of weight being on this toe all the time. I have lost faith in my surgeon, and have been dealing with this on my own. I do not know what to do. I will be graduating soon with my Nursing Degree, and am worried that it has all been a waste of time, how can I work, when just being on my feet washing dishes or normal daily routines causes me so much pain. My family does not seem to understand the extent of pain in my foot. Any suggestions on what step I should take to try to fix my problem would be appreciated.
Thank you

Re: What do I do now?

Laurie R on 10/28/01 at 11:57 (063722)

Hi Sheri , I am so sorry to hear you are in pain . I sure know how it is . In my opinion , I would go see another doctor . Even just to talk . He or she can go over your case and may be able to help you. Don't give up. Their are some wonderful doctor's out there , it is our job to find them .

Do you also have PF? We are all here for support ,you will find the most wonderful group of people here.

My very best to you ... Let us know how things are going.

Laurie R

BrianG on 10/28/01 at 17:41 (063738)

Hi Sheri,

Lauri is right, get out there and see some more doctors. Personally I would look for doctors that are NOT surgeons. What do you do for physical exercise? If it is any kind or jogging, power walking, step aerobics, it's time for a break. Rest is one of the keys early on. Also, look into taping, that may help also. Is it possible you can start your career in an admin position? Anything you can do to stay off your feet at this time will be a help. Look into ESWT. With all the machines out there, and lack of insurance, you will have to do your homework. Hopefully you will be able to work in your field to get ESWT approved for insurance. We can use all the help we can get. Lastly, use good quality athletic shoes and never go barefoot. Good luck

BCG

PS Check out your orthotics, try to find out if they fit correctly, and hopefully are not too hard. People here have bags of orthotics they cannot use, until the frost needs scraping, that is :*)

Steve P on 10/28/01 at 18:39 (063739)

Sheri --- I agree with Laurie & Brian. Try to find a doctor who specializes in foot and ankle injuries & get a complete re-evaluation. Sports Medicine is a good place to find such a doc.

If conservative treatments such as PT, anti-inflammatory meds, taping, etc., don't clear the problem, you might look into ESWT. But keep at it, even if it takes a couple more docs to find the right treatment plan.

Steve

Laurie R on 10/28/01 at 11:57 (063722)

Hi Sheri , I am so sorry to hear you are in pain . I sure know how it is . In my opinion , I would go see another doctor . Even just to talk . He or she can go over your case and may be able to help you. Don't give up. Their are some wonderful doctor's out there , it is our job to find them .

Do you also have PF? We are all here for support ,you will find the most wonderful group of people here.

My very best to you ... Let us know how things are going.

Laurie R

BrianG on 10/28/01 at 17:41 (063738)

Hi Sheri,

Lauri is right, get out there and see some more doctors. Personally I would look for doctors that are NOT surgeons. What do you do for physical exercise? If it is any kind or jogging, power walking, step aerobics, it's time for a break. Rest is one of the keys early on. Also, look into taping, that may help also. Is it possible you can start your career in an admin position? Anything you can do to stay off your feet at this time will be a help. Look into ESWT. With all the machines out there, and lack of insurance, you will have to do your homework. Hopefully you will be able to work in your field to get ESWT approved for insurance. We can use all the help we can get. Lastly, use good quality athletic shoes and never go barefoot. Good luck

BCG

PS Check out your orthotics, try to find out if they fit correctly, and hopefully are not too hard. People here have bags of orthotics they cannot use, until the frost needs scraping, that is :*)

Steve P on 10/28/01 at 18:39 (063739)

Sheri --- I agree with Laurie & Brian. Try to find a doctor who specializes in foot and ankle injuries & get a complete re-evaluation. Sports Medicine is a good place to find such a doc.

If conservative treatments such as PT, anti-inflammatory meds, taping, etc., don't clear the problem, you might look into ESWT. But keep at it, even if it takes a couple more docs to find the right treatment plan.

Steve