Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

foot pain

Posted by millie.w on 10/28/01 at 12:22 (063725)

i had surgury on july 20th for heel spur and tendon lenthening.i,m feeling furstrated due to the fact i have alot of pain on the bottom of my foot when i walk on it. can anyone out there relate to this? please help!

Re: foot pain Millie

Kim M on 10/29/01 at 08:51 (063750)

When I had sugery done in 1999. it almost took a year foot to feel better, because the Doctor said the swelling could take that long to decrese.
Kim
Ps. read my response to Amie P.

Re: foot pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/29/01 at 19:54 (063781)

Millie:

What type of physical therapy did you have or are having after surgery. What type of shoes are you now using? Are you back into your orthotics?
What reasons has your doctor provided for what seems to be a slow recovery?
Is the pain different than it was before surgery?
Ed

Re: foot pain Millie--Kim's response

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/29/01 at 19:56 (063782)

Kim:

There are a number of people who have a long recovery from such surgery but I would not regard a full year to recover as a norm. There are factors that can delay recovery that need to be looked at if things are going too slow.
Ed

millie.w on 11/01/01 at 11:35 (063931)

i,m not in pt yet, but i have a feeling he will be sending me. i,m not into a special shoe either, do you have any ideas? the longer and more days i,m on this foot, the pain gets worst.i,m at the end of my rope!
i havent seen my dr. yet, since returning to work.i have an appt. tues.
i get all my pain on the bottom of my heel which i dont understand because the heel spur was on the back of the heel.

millie.w on 11/01/01 at 11:39 (063932)

like what factors? do you have any ideas as to what type of shoe or insert i can buy to help decrease the pain? please help!hurting badly!

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/01/01 at 16:28 (063955)

Millie:

Physical therapy should be started within 3 weeks of surgery. Orthotic inserts are on of the many conservative modalities that should be tried before surgery because surgery is a last resort once such modalities have failed. Nevertheless, orthotics can help after surgery too because they help to correct the basic biomechanical causes that started the problem in the first place. Your doc should provide you with orthotics or refer to to have them made.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/05/01 at 19:21 (064181)

Considering the stage that you are at I would look for custom made orthotics from a podiatrist or pedorthist.
Ed

Re: foot pain Millie

Kim M on 10/29/01 at 08:51 (063750)

When I had sugery done in 1999. it almost took a year foot to feel better, because the Doctor said the swelling could take that long to decrese.
Kim
Ps. read my response to Amie P.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/29/01 at 19:54 (063781)

Millie:

What type of physical therapy did you have or are having after surgery. What type of shoes are you now using? Are you back into your orthotics?
What reasons has your doctor provided for what seems to be a slow recovery?
Is the pain different than it was before surgery?
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/29/01 at 19:56 (063782)

Kim:

There are a number of people who have a long recovery from such surgery but I would not regard a full year to recover as a norm. There are factors that can delay recovery that need to be looked at if things are going too slow.
Ed

millie.w on 11/01/01 at 11:35 (063931)

i,m not in pt yet, but i have a feeling he will be sending me. i,m not into a special shoe either, do you have any ideas? the longer and more days i,m on this foot, the pain gets worst.i,m at the end of my rope!
i havent seen my dr. yet, since returning to work.i have an appt. tues.
i get all my pain on the bottom of my heel which i dont understand because the heel spur was on the back of the heel.

millie.w on 11/01/01 at 11:39 (063932)

like what factors? do you have any ideas as to what type of shoe or insert i can buy to help decrease the pain? please help!hurting badly!

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/01/01 at 16:28 (063955)

Millie:

Physical therapy should be started within 3 weeks of surgery. Orthotic inserts are on of the many conservative modalities that should be tried before surgery because surgery is a last resort once such modalities have failed. Nevertheless, orthotics can help after surgery too because they help to correct the basic biomechanical causes that started the problem in the first place. Your doc should provide you with orthotics or refer to to have them made.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/05/01 at 19:21 (064181)

Considering the stage that you are at I would look for custom made orthotics from a podiatrist or pedorthist.
Ed