Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain STANDING, not walking. Help!

Posted by PaulF on 10/29/01 at 09:20 (063752)

I never seem to see people with this problem, and need help with diagnosis and treatment. For the past 10 years or so (I'm 47) have had severe pain when STANDING. Occurs within seconds if standing on hard surface without shoes. Within a minute if wearing shoes on carpet. Within a couple of minutes if wearing good running shoes with inserts. IT DOES NOT HURT WHEN WALKING! I can walk 20 miles in a day with NO foot pain -- as long as I don't stand. It also DOES NOT HURT WHEN I GET UP in the morning. The pain is NO different throughout the day -- only depends on STANDING, surface, and shoes. I have taken Naproxen Sodium for a year at a time (double normal dosage) with no improvement.

What could be going on???

Re: Pain STANDING, not walking. Help!

Rick B. on 10/31/01 at 21:12 (063904)

Well, I have similar symptons in that I have vascular constriction on the bottom of my feet. This is noticed as pain when I stand still. Walking allows more blood to flow and there is no pain. When I sit down, the discomfort persists for awhile. This condition I think is caused by some inflamation of tendons and or ligaments. I am ordering some custom orthotics that I hope will help. Does this sound at all similar to you?

PFirth on 11/05/01 at 16:08 (064169)

Was not diagnosed with vascular constriction, but symptoms sound similar. Pain starts very quickly when standing still. It DOES take a while for pain to reduce after I sit. If it's vascular, I wonder if orthotics will help? Seems that will only help if tendons/ligaments are being stretched. Even jumping (as in volleyball and basketball) does not bother my feet. Just STANDING. Makes you miserable when you have to stand and wait (pacing helps) or stand and talk with someone.

Rick B. on 10/31/01 at 21:12 (063904)

Well, I have similar symptons in that I have vascular constriction on the bottom of my feet. This is noticed as pain when I stand still. Walking allows more blood to flow and there is no pain. When I sit down, the discomfort persists for awhile. This condition I think is caused by some inflamation of tendons and or ligaments. I am ordering some custom orthotics that I hope will help. Does this sound at all similar to you?

PFirth on 11/05/01 at 16:08 (064169)

Was not diagnosed with vascular constriction, but symptoms sound similar. Pain starts very quickly when standing still. It DOES take a while for pain to reduce after I sit. If it's vascular, I wonder if orthotics will help? Seems that will only help if tendons/ligaments are being stretched. Even jumping (as in volleyball and basketball) does not bother my feet. Just STANDING. Makes you miserable when you have to stand and wait (pacing helps) or stand and talk with someone.