Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

paula's long strange journey

Posted by paula on 10/30/01 at 09:54 (063818)

after a year in wheelchair, after a corrected muscle wasting disease and very damaged posterior tibial tendon my new rehab doctor has put me on a 'safe' anabolic steroid to grow some muscles back. i have been on two weeks . i can do more in resistance exercise in two weeks than i've done all year. i am changing my name to Anna Bolical. at night i become her dark sister Dia. Life is strange. as for personality changes i sense a subtle difference. seems i'm getting stronger or harder or anyway i don't cry easily. hey guys what do i do with this male hormone. i'm new to it. any suggestions ?(now don't say raunchy things here)

Re: paula's long strange journey

Steve P on 10/30/01 at 17:55 (063843)

Paula -- Your message sounds positive to me. If you look at where you came from, you've really come a long way. And, as you know, you have to work on one problem at a time. Resolve each one & then move on.

Keep up the good work. It may be a strange journey but you're not alone & you will get there!

Best.........Steve

Laurie R on 10/30/01 at 19:13 (063845)

Hi Paula , I agree with Steve this sounds real positive , after all you have been through . It sounds to me like you have found a wonderful doctor that wants to take the time to help you .

Everytime I would read your posts about the wheelchair , it really touched my heart. I know the pain you speak of .. I am in pain 24/7 . I hope for you and I that we are both on the right path now. Whatever it takes we can do it .

I knew from a long time ago that I was never going to be 100% ,but I will take 50% and be real happy . I have not been able to work in two years now . Wow has my life changed...

Paula please keep us posted , it is wonderful that you found something that is going to help you .

Have you had surgery yet? Do you have RSD also?

My very best to you , Laurie R

paula on 10/30/01 at 21:17 (063850)

thank you, the support is so appreciated. no rsd. by some miracle i missed that one. am totally nauseaus from the steroid but had a great work out tonite (for me. for a gerbil it would have been light). yes, maybe i'm finally on the way to recovery. there are slight risks but i feel worth it.

Suzanne D on 10/30/01 at 21:43 (063853)

I'm glad you can see some gains, Paula. I will be thinking of you and hope that as the holiday season rolls around, you will be celebrating real progress! Keep up the good work! I'll hope to read more positives from your condition in the future. :-)

Barbara TX on 10/31/01 at 14:59 (063884)

Paula - I am about two weeks into your underwear-on-your-head cure, and all I have been doing is bumping into walls.

Hang in there. How does it feel to be one of the guys? You always did have a great sense of humor - now you can let it all hang out. This is a long, strange journey, for sure. B.

Steve P on 10/30/01 at 17:55 (063843)

Paula -- Your message sounds positive to me. If you look at where you came from, you've really come a long way. And, as you know, you have to work on one problem at a time. Resolve each one & then move on.

Keep up the good work. It may be a strange journey but you're not alone & you will get there!

Best.........Steve

Laurie R on 10/30/01 at 19:13 (063845)

Hi Paula , I agree with Steve this sounds real positive , after all you have been through . It sounds to me like you have found a wonderful doctor that wants to take the time to help you .

Everytime I would read your posts about the wheelchair , it really touched my heart. I know the pain you speak of .. I am in pain 24/7 . I hope for you and I that we are both on the right path now. Whatever it takes we can do it .

I knew from a long time ago that I was never going to be 100% ,but I will take 50% and be real happy . I have not been able to work in two years now . Wow has my life changed...

Paula please keep us posted , it is wonderful that you found something that is going to help you .

Have you had surgery yet? Do you have RSD also?

My very best to you , Laurie R

paula on 10/30/01 at 21:17 (063850)

thank you, the support is so appreciated. no rsd. by some miracle i missed that one. am totally nauseaus from the steroid but had a great work out tonite (for me. for a gerbil it would have been light). yes, maybe i'm finally on the way to recovery. there are slight risks but i feel worth it.

Suzanne D on 10/30/01 at 21:43 (063853)

I'm glad you can see some gains, Paula. I will be thinking of you and hope that as the holiday season rolls around, you will be celebrating real progress! Keep up the good work! I'll hope to read more positives from your condition in the future. :-)

Barbara TX on 10/31/01 at 14:59 (063884)

Paula - I am about two weeks into your underwear-on-your-head cure, and all I have been doing is bumping into walls.

Hang in there. How does it feel to be one of the guys? You always did have a great sense of humor - now you can let it all hang out. This is a long, strange journey, for sure. B.