Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pump bump

Posted by lindac on 10/31/01 at 19:45 (063901)

i have developed a hard bump to the right side of my right heel.
the podiatrist i saw called it a 'pump bump', ie high heels.
he said i can have it cut off. is this a heel spur.do you have to have surgery for releif? i am very active, hiking, step aerobics, power walking, biking etc. if i have surgery will i ever be the same?

Re: pump bump

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/31/01 at 21:22 (063908)

You will not be the same after surgery. You will be you minus the 'pump bump.'

A 'pump bump' usually refers to the true Haglund's deformity which is an enlargement on the back of the heel bone above the area which the achilles tendon attaches. It is not a heel spur. I would generally consider it to be a benign procedure as far as surgeries go. The vast majority of people do well and recover uneventfully.
Ed

lindac on 11/01/01 at 18:45 (063975)

Thank you so very much for your quick response.
I have had very few health problems in my life and very few surgical procedures.I am greatly relieved to get rid of this thing, so I can get back to my normal activities.

lindac on 11/05/01 at 21:21 (064199)

since i wrote in last i saw my dpm today, unfortunately my xrays revealed that my pump bump is more extended towards the center of my heel.he thinks he will partially have to detach my tendon on the right and split i down the center to shave off the spur.i am having 2nd thoughts about getting this done.how tuff is recovery?

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/31/01 at 21:22 (063908)

You will not be the same after surgery. You will be you minus the 'pump bump.'

A 'pump bump' usually refers to the true Haglund's deformity which is an enlargement on the back of the heel bone above the area which the achilles tendon attaches. It is not a heel spur. I would generally consider it to be a benign procedure as far as surgeries go. The vast majority of people do well and recover uneventfully.
Ed

lindac on 11/01/01 at 18:45 (063975)

Thank you so very much for your quick response.
I have had very few health problems in my life and very few surgical procedures.I am greatly relieved to get rid of this thing, so I can get back to my normal activities.

lindac on 11/05/01 at 21:21 (064199)

since i wrote in last i saw my dpm today, unfortunately my xrays revealed that my pump bump is more extended towards the center of my heel.he thinks he will partially have to detach my tendon on the right and split i down the center to shave off the spur.i am having 2nd thoughts about getting this done.how tuff is recovery?