Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ruptured fascia

Posted by DW on 11/01/01 at 12:11 (063936)

Dr believes I have a ruptured PF. He took Xrays, listened to my litany of pain and past treatments (which included a cortisone shot to heel in April and a definite episode of what he considered trauma not long after), and said he could not palpate the fascia on the right foot. He could feel it easily on left foot, but right foot was 'soft and mushy'. I am currently wearing a walking cast for the next month. It has made a definite improvement in walking, although I'm having more pain along the outer edge of the foot while at rest today. (I think I walked too much last night....Halloween, you know.) He said it has never had time to heal. He thinks once it does heal, the inflammation will subside and TTS symptoms will ease. My question is: what is the goal in this? Heal how? Is he hoping the fascia will re-attach itself?

Thanks.

Re: ruptured fascia

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/01/01 at 16:01 (063948)

Surgical treatment for plantar fasciitis involves detachment of the fascia from the heel bone. Individuals who rupture the fascia often have performed the equivalent of surgery (without the bill) and a cure follows within a couple of months. Keep in mind that surgery involves a clean cut while a rupture may have irregular edges and be more traumatic--the end effect is the same. Regrowth and some re-attachement does occur. Unfortunately we do not have good info. as to how that occurs and a what rate-----probably because such ruptures are not very common.
Ed

DW on 11/03/01 at 13:47 (064056)

So the goal is to simply let the fascia *heal* however it's going to? I can understand that. And the TTS symptoms should also subside once the fascia heals, right? So I can pretty much cross surgery off my list of possibilities, it sounds to me, which is wonderful.
Thanks for the information.

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/01/01 at 16:01 (063948)

Surgical treatment for plantar fasciitis involves detachment of the fascia from the heel bone. Individuals who rupture the fascia often have performed the equivalent of surgery (without the bill) and a cure follows within a couple of months. Keep in mind that surgery involves a clean cut while a rupture may have irregular edges and be more traumatic--the end effect is the same. Regrowth and some re-attachement does occur. Unfortunately we do not have good info. as to how that occurs and a what rate-----probably because such ruptures are not very common.
Ed

DW on 11/03/01 at 13:47 (064056)

So the goal is to simply let the fascia *heal* however it's going to? I can understand that. And the TTS symptoms should also subside once the fascia heals, right? So I can pretty much cross surgery off my list of possibilities, it sounds to me, which is wonderful.
Thanks for the information.