Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

dress shoes

Posted by Nancy W on 11/01/01 at 13:42 (063941)

Now that my PF is finally easing up a bit, Iam anxious to start wearing dress/fashionable shoes again. The end of November I am going to London for a week, which will entail a great deal of walking, and I do not want to wear ugly running shoes. What nice dress shoes do you recommend that will take an orthodic and not cause another flare up of PF? I know, I know, the 'pretty' shoes are how I got into this mess in the first place, but...I love clothes and fashion and running shoes have never, ever matched any of my outfits! Thanks!

Re: dress shoes

jim z on 11/01/01 at 17:05 (063961)

wear the 9 inch stilettos they are so sexy

nancy s. on 11/01/01 at 17:10 (063962)

gee, jim, i'd like to see YOU in the 9-inch stilettos. they look great with hairy legs, you know.

jim z on 11/01/01 at 18:24 (063974)

been there done that nance!

wendyn on 11/01/01 at 22:51 (063985)

I may have actually found a pair of shoes that work for me.

I think they are called 'Reikker' or 'Reiker' - I found them at a hard to fit shoe store. I could run upstairs and get the correct spelling - but I just don't feel like getting up again.

The biggest thing is to go somewhere that specializes in shoes for orthotics or hard to fit feet. Be prepared to try on A LOT of shoes. Don't look at fashion, and DON'T look at the price. Make your decision solely based on comfort and how supported your foot feels.

I really try to avoid looking at the price. Anything 50% off will automatically be more appealing to me - and it pains me greatly to pay full price for anything. But - bargain hunting has to be for other things - not for your shoes.

I bought a pair that is solid through the mid foot - rather than having a wedge. I need the extra support on the inner foot because the one foot rolls in so much. They have a heel - but it's very low - and the heel itself is narrow but the toe box is nice and wide for my bunions.

I really believed that these shoes were disgracefully ugly - but YOU WOULD NOT believe the compliments I've had on them.

I still think they're ugly.

One of the women in my building, who I hardly know - came right up and asked me where I bought my shoes. She was familiar with the brand, and shops often at the same store I went to . Evidently she's quite a fashion person and thought my shoes were great.

I still don't see it - but maybe I just don't have any taste to begin with.

Regardless, try on lots, wear them around the house plenty before you hit the pavement with them.

Stay away from soft bendable shoes, and you may have to go one size larger to accomodate your orthotics.

Good luck!!

nancy s. on 11/01/01 at 23:22 (063989)

ohhhhhh, ok jim! you must be best friends with a former boyfriend of mine.

Re: 3 words

CArmen H on 11/02/01 at 09:10 (063997)

The Walking Company.
They carry dress shoes.....they are pretty nice but not anything fancy pants.
They cater to people with PF nad other foot problems.

Nancy W on 11/02/01 at 14:30 (064015)

Hey, I didn't know you guys were such a bunch of comedians before I posted my email about dress shoes! Pretty funny about the 9' heels! I never wore them before PF and I'm not going to now! But, I still want to wear attractive shoes. Thanks for the suggestions about Reiker and 'The Walking Company.' I'll have to look in the phone book and see if they have one in Orlando.

I am surprised no one mentioned Easy Spirit or Rockport. Not the prettiest, but they do beat running shoes! Any other suggestions would be most welcome. I consistently hear about New Balance for athletic shoes, but, isn't there a brand that is consistently reccommended for dresss shoes? Thanks!

Re: 3 words -- nancy w.

nancy s. on 11/03/01 at 06:11 (064040)

nancy, i haven't tried either easy spirits or rockports, so i'm not speaking from experience in that way. but many people on this message board have found that easy spirits don't provide the proper support -- apparently they bend in the middle too easily, at the arch, and when shoes do that your feet aren't getting the needed support. if they bend at all, shoes should bend only a bit at the ball of the foot.
i've seen very little mention of rockports here. you might try doing a search of the board to see what may have been written about them before.
nancy
p.s. that's good you were only kidding about the 9' heels -- otherwise my ex-boyfriend might come looking for you! i never wore them either, which is probably one big reason for the breakup! (i didn't have any that he could borrow.)

jim z on 11/01/01 at 17:05 (063961)

wear the 9 inch stilettos they are so sexy

nancy s. on 11/01/01 at 17:10 (063962)

gee, jim, i'd like to see YOU in the 9-inch stilettos. they look great with hairy legs, you know.

jim z on 11/01/01 at 18:24 (063974)

been there done that nance!

wendyn on 11/01/01 at 22:51 (063985)

I may have actually found a pair of shoes that work for me.

I think they are called 'Reikker' or 'Reiker' - I found them at a hard to fit shoe store. I could run upstairs and get the correct spelling - but I just don't feel like getting up again.

The biggest thing is to go somewhere that specializes in shoes for orthotics or hard to fit feet. Be prepared to try on A LOT of shoes. Don't look at fashion, and DON'T look at the price. Make your decision solely based on comfort and how supported your foot feels.

I really try to avoid looking at the price. Anything 50% off will automatically be more appealing to me - and it pains me greatly to pay full price for anything. But - bargain hunting has to be for other things - not for your shoes.

I bought a pair that is solid through the mid foot - rather than having a wedge. I need the extra support on the inner foot because the one foot rolls in so much. They have a heel - but it's very low - and the heel itself is narrow but the toe box is nice and wide for my bunions.

I really believed that these shoes were disgracefully ugly - but YOU WOULD NOT believe the compliments I've had on them.

I still think they're ugly.

One of the women in my building, who I hardly know - came right up and asked me where I bought my shoes. She was familiar with the brand, and shops often at the same store I went to . Evidently she's quite a fashion person and thought my shoes were great.

I still don't see it - but maybe I just don't have any taste to begin with.

Regardless, try on lots, wear them around the house plenty before you hit the pavement with them.

Stay away from soft bendable shoes, and you may have to go one size larger to accomodate your orthotics.

Good luck!!

nancy s. on 11/01/01 at 23:22 (063989)

ohhhhhh, ok jim! you must be best friends with a former boyfriend of mine.

CArmen H on 11/02/01 at 09:10 (063997)

The Walking Company.
They carry dress shoes.....they are pretty nice but not anything fancy pants.
They cater to people with PF nad other foot problems.

Nancy W on 11/02/01 at 14:30 (064015)

Hey, I didn't know you guys were such a bunch of comedians before I posted my email about dress shoes! Pretty funny about the 9' heels! I never wore them before PF and I'm not going to now! But, I still want to wear attractive shoes. Thanks for the suggestions about Reiker and 'The Walking Company.' I'll have to look in the phone book and see if they have one in Orlando.

I am surprised no one mentioned Easy Spirit or Rockport. Not the prettiest, but they do beat running shoes! Any other suggestions would be most welcome. I consistently hear about New Balance for athletic shoes, but, isn't there a brand that is consistently reccommended for dresss shoes? Thanks!

Re: 3 words -- nancy w.

nancy s. on 11/03/01 at 06:11 (064040)

nancy, i haven't tried either easy spirits or rockports, so i'm not speaking from experience in that way. but many people on this message board have found that easy spirits don't provide the proper support -- apparently they bend in the middle too easily, at the arch, and when shoes do that your feet aren't getting the needed support. if they bend at all, shoes should bend only a bit at the ball of the foot.
i've seen very little mention of rockports here. you might try doing a search of the board to see what may have been written about them before.
nancy
p.s. that's good you were only kidding about the 9' heels -- otherwise my ex-boyfriend might come looking for you! i never wore them either, which is probably one big reason for the breakup! (i didn't have any that he could borrow.)