Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Update - Went to Orthopedic Surgeon today

Posted by CatherineL on 11/01/01 at 16:55 (063959)

Hi all,

1 1/2yrs with PF later...

Finally had an appt with someone other than a physician. The Ortho did a thorough check of both feet (he told me to indicate if there is any pain or discomfort as he checked various parts of my feet - he kept saying sorry as I told him if it was uncomformatable or painful - it was very courtious and I found it kinda funny and cute).

He then asked what all I've tried (I pulled out my scroll and rattled off the long list) and he recommends I continue with the night splint for at least 3 months and limit my walking to only what is absolutely necessary for work and home (I already did that last year cuz I couldn't stand the pain).

If I have no relief with the night splint, then a rocker boot (walking cast/boot). Then possibly ESWT - he wasn't aware it's avail in Canada - but although he's seen great reports on the treatment, he's still a little skeptical since it's new - but seems to be open to the idea if these things fail (like all the other things have).

He also suspects arthritis and is recommending a reumatologist.sp? (both my sister and mother have fibromialgia which started for both of them in thier mid 30's - I'm there, but haven't been check, but it's also a possibility).

I wish I could get my dr. to sign off on a handicap permit. I also need to change my ways and start ordering most of my grocieries to be delevered from the local store.

I've also started ART and it has helped with the pain and tension in my feet, especially if I take it easy. I hope my insurance will cover the $35/visit.

Thanx for any suggestions and replys, This has always been a site I can go to to add my progress and get great responses.

Thanx
CL

Re: Also,,,

CatherineL on 11/01/01 at 16:57 (063960)

The Orthopeadic surgeon DID NOT RECOMEND SURGERY for this at all!

Seem like a good doc to me!

Re: Update - Went to Orthopedic Surgeon today

Suzanne D on 11/01/01 at 18:14 (063973)

I wish you the best, Catherine! Being a relatively new person to this board, I find I have less advice and information to give than many others, but I offer my encouragement and support! :-) I hope you can get that handicap permit.

Steve P on 11/01/01 at 18:50 (063976)

Catherine --- I like his conservative approach, but I'm skeptical that after 1 1/2 years another 3 months of night splint & limited use will make any difference. I think you may be past that point. Of course, I hope I'm wrong!

I think it's time to look into ESWT. You may or may not be a candidate depending on arthritis, etc. (I don't know), but unless you get major improvement with ART in the next few weeks, ESWT may well be your best bet.

Thanks for the update & good luck!

CatherineL on 11/02/01 at 08:20 (063995)

SteveP - Hello again...

This 1 1/2 year thing is really getting to me. I'm a typically patient person but the last few months I'm frustrated with the continuing limits it has put on my life.

I'm also quite skeptical about waiting more, but I'll have to wait for the reumatologist appt before ESWT anyway, so might as well keep plugging along in the meantime.

As with almost every medical condition or medication I've had through the years, I don't usually fall into the majority. I'm usually the 'small percentage' and carry a label as 'special'. - not the good kind.

Thanx
CL

Re: Also,,,

CatherineL on 11/01/01 at 16:57 (063960)

The Orthopeadic surgeon DID NOT RECOMEND SURGERY for this at all!

Seem like a good doc to me!

Suzanne D on 11/01/01 at 18:14 (063973)

I wish you the best, Catherine! Being a relatively new person to this board, I find I have less advice and information to give than many others, but I offer my encouragement and support! :-) I hope you can get that handicap permit.

Steve P on 11/01/01 at 18:50 (063976)

Catherine --- I like his conservative approach, but I'm skeptical that after 1 1/2 years another 3 months of night splint & limited use will make any difference. I think you may be past that point. Of course, I hope I'm wrong!

I think it's time to look into ESWT. You may or may not be a candidate depending on arthritis, etc. (I don't know), but unless you get major improvement with ART in the next few weeks, ESWT may well be your best bet.

Thanks for the update & good luck!

CatherineL on 11/02/01 at 08:20 (063995)

SteveP - Hello again...

This 1 1/2 year thing is really getting to me. I'm a typically patient person but the last few months I'm frustrated with the continuing limits it has put on my life.

I'm also quite skeptical about waiting more, but I'll have to wait for the reumatologist appt before ESWT anyway, so might as well keep plugging along in the meantime.

As with almost every medical condition or medication I've had through the years, I don't usually fall into the majority. I'm usually the 'small percentage' and carry a label as 'special'. - not the good kind.

Thanx
CL