Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Something really bazaar to try

Posted by pam on 11/01/01 at 22:37 (063983)

I want you all to know that I have never known anyone with feet that hurt as bad as mine, or for as many years. I've had 3 sets of orthotics made, every shoe insert i could find, shots, surgery, physical therapy (that's a joke), if I got a tickle me elmo doll it would feel better.

But one day I bought something at the grocery store that I don't usually eat, and this day my feet were killing me and after I ate this my feet felt like they were floating on air towards evening. So I thought, what in the heck did I do different or eat? So, I thought about it and i ate a big bowl of brussel sprouts at lunch. I thought, no, that couldn't have been it. But thought it was worth another try. Bought more, ate more and it had the same affect.
So far, I have eaten several bowls of brussel sprouts over last 3 weeks, and seems I always feel better on those days.
Please give it a try, I don't think I am crazy.

Please let me know if it helps for you too. This is not a joke, I know we are all looking for something to ease the pain.

Pam

Re: Pam

Carmen on 11/02/01 at 07:23 (063993)

Have you ever been tested for a deficiency and have you looked into what Brussel Sprouts are high in? What vitamins I mean.
That's probably some where to start for an explanation for your relief. Good for you! that's great...I agree on anything to relieve the pain.

pam on 11/02/01 at 09:24 (063998)

Actually, I take vitamins daily. I am thinking it may be some chemical in them that helped. Anyway, I will continue to do it and maybe this has had the same effect on others, but they didn't realize it.
Would like others to try and see if they notice a difference.

Carmen H on 11/02/01 at 10:53 (064002)

I would love to help you but Brussel Sprouts make me gag. BAD experience as a child....ugh. I can still taste them. But will keep an eye open for info about their benefits as I research.
Good Luck!

Re: Something that is helping me be pain free-cross fingers

Carmen H on 11/02/01 at 12:07 (064005)

Pam-First I wanted to share this.....I looked into it.
Brussel Sprouts are a good source of Vitamin A, B, and c, and iron. It's a high possibility that the C is helping reduce your inflammation and possibly allow the repairing of tissue in your feet? See Quote as well..... 'Vitamin C is required by your body to produce Collagen (along with Sulfur). Collagen is the substance that repairs connective tissue and blood vessel walls. Humans, unlike most animals, cannot manufacture their own Vitamin C. Ester-C is a patented pH-neutral form of Vitamin C.'

Just to share a snippet of my recent experience. I upped my Vitamin C dose to CRAZY amounts and also my Vitamin E on Tuesday and in combination with my stretching and other vitamins I have been pain free for almost the entire day until about 5 or 6 p.m. Before Tues. my pain level was anywhere from a 7 to a 10 and started 10 min. after getting up. I have had all the tests run....deficiency, arthritis, back problems etc. and everything has come back negative. So even though I wasn't deficient in anything I think the E has helped with circulation to my feet and the C has helped the swelling in my fascia. After I ice at night I can finally go to bed with no burning at all. Before I would iceand the burning would start right after and not diminish until an hour after I lay down.
I can only hope this lasts long enough to heal.

Re: more from the bizarre bazaar

elliott on 11/02/01 at 13:25 (064008)

The TTS in my left foot had been so severe that I could not wear any shoes (just boots and sandals) for 10 months, from December 00 to October 01, and it was not getting any better. Wearing shoes for more than 10 minutes would push my pain level to the request-amputation level and remained there the rest of the day even after removing my shoes. It is likely that a huge varicose vein is the culprit. After seeing the article below, I figured what the heck, nothing to lose, I'll try to take large quantities of lemon juice, conveniently squeezed into my drinks from those fake lemons containing concentrated lemon juice (3 tblspns = 1 lemon) you see in the grocery. While results were not immediate, a month or so since then my condition generally started improving to the point where I can now wear shoes, albeit with discomfort, for several hours. So I now can wear them travelling to work and back, where I then switch to Birkenstock. Interestingly, it's not helping for my other ailments (other foot and back) not related to a vein problem. I keep thinking of stopping the lemon juice, but then it seems to get worse when I do, so I go back to taking it, and the condition is more livable. Coincidence? Lemon? Vitamin C? Placebo?

------------
the Times of London, August 20, 2001

Lemon juice 'cuts the risk of DVT' BY DAVID CHARTER, HEALTH CORRESPONDENT LEMON juice can help to prevent 'economy-class syndrome' by improving blood circulation during long-haul flights, scientists believe.
Passengers should drink lemon juice at least once every five hours to cut the risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT), the formation of potentially fatal blood clots, Japanese researchers claim.
A research team at Tokai Gakuen University, Nagoya City, said that two substances in lemon juice can help to protect against DVT. Citric acid and lemon polyphenol lower the chance of blood clotting and help to regulate blood circulation.
The group plans to release full details of the findings in September at a meeting of the Japanese Society for Food Science and Technology. The researchers gave 13 volunteers a drink containing the juice of one large lemon. Blood travelled 19 per cent faster in veins afterwards.
Sukie Nishibori, research team leader, said that airline passengers should have a lemon drink once every five hours.
DVT is a potentially fatal condition caused by blood clots forming in the legs after sitting for extended periods in the same position. Emma Christoffersen, 28, from Newport, south Wales, collapsed and died after a 20-hour flight from Australia to Britain last October. Other passengers who believe they have survived similar blood clots are suing large airlines.
Long-haul passengers are also advised to avoid alcohol on flights, walk around the aircraft and exercise in their seats to reduce the risk of clotting.

Re: I read this one...

Carmen H on 11/02/01 at 16:14 (064017)

I remember reading this. I sent it to my mom she suffers from Blood clots and is on Coumadin for life.
Interesting.....
Glad you are at a tolerable level Elliott. I pray that's what we all experience if not better!!!!

pam on 11/02/01 at 16:24 (064021)

Thanks. I sincerly doubt it was the vitamin c, because I have taken c for years and know all about ester c. You see, back in '87, I worked for years in the vitamin field. Actually, I did a bit of reserch myself this morning and found out that there is certain chemicals, especially in the brussel sprouts, that I am guessing, may be the miracle.

Here is that link and info:
http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/broccoli.htm
One family of these chemicals is called 'glucosinolates'. One of those glucosinonates is called
'sinigrin'. It is especially concentrated in Brussel sprouts. When Ian Johnson, a nutritional physiologist
from the Institute of Food Research in Norwich, England, fed it to laboratory rats, he found that just one
small dose of sinigrin would actually kill pre-cancerous cells that had already started growing in the gut
of the rats. What he thinks happens is the sinigrin breaks down to another chemical (which is the one
that causes the bitter taste and smell of Brussel sprouts), and this chemical then triggers pre-cancerous
cells to kill themselves, leaving the gut unharmed!

Carole C on 11/02/01 at 17:44 (064024)

Lemon juice is also a mild natural diuretic. So, it would reduce inflammation.

Carole

Re: Something really bazaar to try

Betty s on 11/02/01 at 19:38 (064028)

I have also had a great, unexpected remission and I am beginning to think that the condrotin , glucosamine supplements that I started a few months ago has really kicked in , I have gone from a hopeless 8 (pain level), to barely noticing pain (except for periods of standing still etc. ) and being a number 1-2 for pain. It is recommended by more doctors everyday. I tried it once before for a few weeks and didnt believe I needed months to get results but I think it is true.

Re: Lemon juice rambling and some new shoes

Carole C on 11/03/01 at 16:16 (064062)

Yesterday my heel was hurting more than usual.

After reading this thread, I drank about 1/3 cup of Minute Maid frozen lemon juice, mixed with warm water and sweet 'n' low, last night. What could it hurt? Lemon juice is even low in calories and I like it (with sweetener). I also took a multivitamin, and sat with my feet up (as is my habit in the evenings lately for obvious reasons). I also skipped my usual 0.4 miles on my new exercycle and just rested.

This morning, I felt pretty good even right after I got out of bed! Now this was a SHOCK! Usually I almost cannot walk until my Celebrex kicks in. I take my Celebrex first thing when I wake up.

Since it's Saturday, and my heel wasn't hurting as much, I decided this was an ideal morning to shop for new shoes. My old SAS shoes were getting pretty delapidated, and new shoes would be necessary soon even if my heel weren't hurting.

I got an Easy Spirit lace-up style called 'ESamigo', which is much better already. It fits my foot very well, and it provides a lot of support on the *side* of my foot, especially when I tie the laces tight, and this seems to be helping although I don't know why. I also got some Nike Airs just to see if they help my heel at all (I know from past experience that they are very helpful with the osteoarthritis in my knees).

Others here have recommended Birkenstock but I was not able to find any except for sandals and I need real shoes for work. If I do find Birkenstock locally, I may still buy them. Meanwhile, wish me luck with my Easy Spirits, Nike Airs, and lemon juice! :)

Re: Carole. Nike Airs

sandy h on 11/03/01 at 18:54 (064069)

Carole, obviously everyone is different but are you sure Nike Air are the right running shoe. The ones I used to wear in my running days had too soft a heel. Try pressing on the inside of the bottom of the heel and see if they give. There are a few postings on this site about stability and motion control shoes. I wear Asics 2060s although the doc on this site told me my next pair should be Asics MC plus. The New Balance and Brooks fans can tell you about their shoes but I have never heard anyone recommending Nike I'm sorry to say.

Carole C on 11/03/01 at 19:10 (064071)

Sandy, I have no intention of even breaking into a jog, much less a run... I have severe osteoarthritis and simply can't run. I guess I will try the Nike Airs. I did a search on this website, and scanned through all the messages concerning Nike Airs and read many enthusiastic posts about them; yours was the first that I noticed which was negative about them at all. Still, I appreciate your recommendation of Asics 2060. I have never heard of Asics but I will look into this brand too!

I tried pressing on the bottom of the heel and they don't give with just my hand pressing on them... it takes more pressure, and they do give when I walk on them. This is pretty essential for me due to my arthritis; there's no point in having heels that don't hurt if I can't walk due to my knees. Gee, this message sure sounds like I'm old! I'm only 53, though. Thanks again.

john h on 11/04/01 at 11:54 (064098)

I have read that any shoe using air for a cushioning effect is not good for achilles tendonitis so if you have that you need to take a 2nd look. I would tend to think the same problem could exist if you have PF.

sandy h on 11/04/01 at 19:01 (064122)

I don't run anymore either and still wear running shoes for walking but overpronation happens when you walk too I think. So worth trying a few pairs of running shoes to get the cushioning/stability balance right.

pam on 11/05/01 at 13:10 (064156)

For those of you who don't like brussel sprouts - which is better pain or eating this. I am in so much pain, I am willing to try any suggestions, especially if they are cheap and nutricous.

Re: Boo to Nikes

Carmen H on 11/05/01 at 14:58 (064163)

Nike's ruined my feet.
Just my 2 cents...

Re: JUST BOO IT

Barbara TX on 11/05/01 at 19:53 (064191)

I second the boo. Nikes hurt me too. B.

John h on 11/06/01 at 07:52 (064210)

I do not 'boo' Nikes i just stopped wearing them many years ago after developing achilles tendonitis. I read at that time and several times since that 'air cushioning' is not good for feet when you have conditions like achilles tendonitis as the air cushion allows the achilles to stretch or have tension on it with ever step. I do wear a Nike cap!

Re: Oh John.....

Carmen H on 11/06/01 at 08:02 (064213)

Okay John Mr. Smarty Pants.....
BOOO to the Nike SHOES only! hee hee
I admit I too like their clothes.....but the shoes....BOOOOOOO!!!!!!
:-)

JudyS on 11/06/01 at 09:57 (064226)

so THAT'S where my Nike baseball cap went off to! John, I told you when you were admiring it on my head in New Jersey that it's a GIRL-style hat! Take it off right now.

Re: can you give us a followup?

elliott on 11/06/01 at 11:21 (064230)

Is it still helping?

john h on 11/06/01 at 13:40 (064242)

judy: i was wondering where i got that Nike cap. Thanks girl! It is adjustable and one size fits all. It goes well with my black t-shirt.

Carole C. on 11/06/01 at 21:34 (064281)

Well, I haven't tried drinking any more lemon juice since then. And, I ate a couple of bagels yesterday (although I am still sticking with Weight Watchers very strictly). Bagels tend to make me retain water, so my feet and ankles are swelled up a little and I feel I'm retaining water... the opposite of what lemon juice does for me.

The new shoes give my feet some support on the sides, when I lace them up tight, so they are helping. I can walk pretty well when I have them on. The tighter they are laced, the better they feel. I think the reason why they help is that they keep my foot fairly immobile from the ankle down and give it a whole lot of support on the sides. When I take them off, I have to put my feet up right away to keep them from hurting for the first few minutes after I take them off. It is still very painful to walk barefoot. In the morning I even put my shoes on before taking my first steps, before I dress, and before that I gently try to loosen up my foot muscles by very gently wiggling my feet and rotating my ankles.

Even though I can get around fairly well now, I'm getting kind of discouraged. I'm thinking maybe I should stop trying to handle this myself, and instead go see a doctor. I haven't been to one yet, about this. The man I'm dating said his mother had heelspurs, and she felt a whole lot better within two days after surgery. My symptoms sound a lot like the descriptions of PF I've read here, except it hurts towards the back of my heel instead of the front or middle part of my heel. It started out in both heels but now it's mostly my left heel. If I'm sitting or lying down I have little to no pain as long as the back of my heel isn't touching anything. When I get up in the morning I can hardly walk.

It's been 45 days since this started. I hate this! I'm mad if I bought the wrong shoes, too. Thanks for asking, though.

Carole

john a on 11/07/01 at 08:46 (064295)

Caffeine is a stronger diuretic. It is also a vasoconstrictor. Does that mean it might help PF?

john a on 11/07/01 at 08:59 (064297)

My first podiatrist of 2.5 years ago recommended New Balance and Nike sneakers. Then again, I thought he sucked...

Carole C on 11/07/01 at 13:04 (064309)

I wouldn't think that it would, though I'm no expert.

Weight Watchers is where I learned about lemon juice; a person that drinks lemon juice is less likely to retain water (and so, that person may weigh a little less at weigh-in).

Weight Watchers also recommends drinking water for the same effect, as strange as that may seem. They require drinking a certain amount of water every day.

On the other hand, if you drink coffee or other caffeinated beverages, Weight Watchers requires that you drink extra water to make up for it. I've noticed personally that I feel more bloated and do not weigh less when I drink coffee, the opposite effect from when I drink water or lemon juice.

That's why I would guess that caffeine would have the reverse effect from what you are hoping.

(Weight Watchers explains this in terms of the fraction of water in the cells or between the cells, where the water is, in general, and though their explanation makes little sense to me, their rule about compensating for caffeinated beverages with extra water intake does make sense to me).

Carole

Re: Your podiatrist likes New Balance, hm?

Carole C on 11/07/01 at 20:26 (064353)

I've never seen a podiatrist, but I've heard a lot of good things about New Balance. If I see them in a store, I will try them on and buy them if they feel good. It seems like everybody here likes them. They are a lot easier to find than some shoes.

Apparently everybody likes Birkenstock too, but I'm a little scared of them. All I've seen so far were the Arizona sandals, so I haven't tried them on (I don't need sandals in November). But I did feel the sole with my hand, and they felt SO HARD. My feet really really really hurt if I try walking barefoot on a hard floor (actually I really can't do that very well at all). I can't even imagine how much they would hurt walking on a hard sole like that (shudder). It sounds hideous. Probably I'd rather have someone pound six knitting needles into each foot. I promise I will try them on if I see any that I can wear to work. However, I probably do not have the guts to last through the break-in period even if I bought them. I'm no John Wayne.

Carole

Andrea R. on 11/08/01 at 08:24 (064384)

Carole,

Check out the New Balance web site before you go shopping. It will help direct you to the right styles for your feet.

I though the same thing about Birkenstock till I tried them. I live in New Hampshire and wear the Arizona's year round. In the colder weather you just wear them with socks. This gives you a chance to buy all the neat socks with patterns and show them off. Birkenstock does make closed shoes too. You need to get used to them by building up the length of time you wear them.

If your feet are hurting go see a podiatrist or foot and ankle orthopedist. If treated early you can often avoid alot of pain later no matter what the problem is.

Good Luck,

Andrea

Carmen on 11/02/01 at 07:23 (063993)

Have you ever been tested for a deficiency and have you looked into what Brussel Sprouts are high in? What vitamins I mean.
That's probably some where to start for an explanation for your relief. Good for you! that's great...I agree on anything to relieve the pain.

pam on 11/02/01 at 09:24 (063998)

Actually, I take vitamins daily. I am thinking it may be some chemical in them that helped. Anyway, I will continue to do it and maybe this has had the same effect on others, but they didn't realize it.
Would like others to try and see if they notice a difference.

Carmen H on 11/02/01 at 10:53 (064002)

I would love to help you but Brussel Sprouts make me gag. BAD experience as a child....ugh. I can still taste them. But will keep an eye open for info about their benefits as I research.
Good Luck!

Carmen H on 11/02/01 at 12:07 (064005)

Pam-First I wanted to share this.....I looked into it.
Brussel Sprouts are a good source of Vitamin A, B, and c, and iron. It's a high possibility that the C is helping reduce your inflammation and possibly allow the repairing of tissue in your feet? See Quote as well..... 'Vitamin C is required by your body to produce Collagen (along with Sulfur). Collagen is the substance that repairs connective tissue and blood vessel walls. Humans, unlike most animals, cannot manufacture their own Vitamin C. Ester-C is a patented pH-neutral form of Vitamin C.'

Just to share a snippet of my recent experience. I upped my Vitamin C dose to CRAZY amounts and also my Vitamin E on Tuesday and in combination with my stretching and other vitamins I have been pain free for almost the entire day until about 5 or 6 p.m. Before Tues. my pain level was anywhere from a 7 to a 10 and started 10 min. after getting up. I have had all the tests run....deficiency, arthritis, back problems etc. and everything has come back negative. So even though I wasn't deficient in anything I think the E has helped with circulation to my feet and the C has helped the swelling in my fascia. After I ice at night I can finally go to bed with no burning at all. Before I would iceand the burning would start right after and not diminish until an hour after I lay down.
I can only hope this lasts long enough to heal.

elliott on 11/02/01 at 13:25 (064008)

The TTS in my left foot had been so severe that I could not wear any shoes (just boots and sandals) for 10 months, from December 00 to October 01, and it was not getting any better. Wearing shoes for more than 10 minutes would push my pain level to the request-amputation level and remained there the rest of the day even after removing my shoes. It is likely that a huge varicose vein is the culprit. After seeing the article below, I figured what the heck, nothing to lose, I'll try to take large quantities of lemon juice, conveniently squeezed into my drinks from those fake lemons containing concentrated lemon juice (3 tblspns = 1 lemon) you see in the grocery. While results were not immediate, a month or so since then my condition generally started improving to the point where I can now wear shoes, albeit with discomfort, for several hours. So I now can wear them travelling to work and back, where I then switch to Birkenstock. Interestingly, it's not helping for my other ailments (other foot and back) not related to a vein problem. I keep thinking of stopping the lemon juice, but then it seems to get worse when I do, so I go back to taking it, and the condition is more livable. Coincidence? Lemon? Vitamin C? Placebo?

------------
the Times of London, August 20, 2001

Lemon juice 'cuts the risk of DVT' BY DAVID CHARTER, HEALTH CORRESPONDENT LEMON juice can help to prevent 'economy-class syndrome' by improving blood circulation during long-haul flights, scientists believe.
Passengers should drink lemon juice at least once every five hours to cut the risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT), the formation of potentially fatal blood clots, Japanese researchers claim.
A research team at Tokai Gakuen University, Nagoya City, said that two substances in lemon juice can help to protect against DVT. Citric acid and lemon polyphenol lower the chance of blood clotting and help to regulate blood circulation.
The group plans to release full details of the findings in September at a meeting of the Japanese Society for Food Science and Technology. The researchers gave 13 volunteers a drink containing the juice of one large lemon. Blood travelled 19 per cent faster in veins afterwards.
Sukie Nishibori, research team leader, said that airline passengers should have a lemon drink once every five hours.
DVT is a potentially fatal condition caused by blood clots forming in the legs after sitting for extended periods in the same position. Emma Christoffersen, 28, from Newport, south Wales, collapsed and died after a 20-hour flight from Australia to Britain last October. Other passengers who believe they have survived similar blood clots are suing large airlines.
Long-haul passengers are also advised to avoid alcohol on flights, walk around the aircraft and exercise in their seats to reduce the risk of clotting.

Re: I read this one...

Carmen H on 11/02/01 at 16:14 (064017)

I remember reading this. I sent it to my mom she suffers from Blood clots and is on Coumadin for life.
Interesting.....
Glad you are at a tolerable level Elliott. I pray that's what we all experience if not better!!!!

pam on 11/02/01 at 16:24 (064021)

Thanks. I sincerly doubt it was the vitamin c, because I have taken c for years and know all about ester c. You see, back in '87, I worked for years in the vitamin field. Actually, I did a bit of reserch myself this morning and found out that there is certain chemicals, especially in the brussel sprouts, that I am guessing, may be the miracle.

Here is that link and info:
http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/broccoli.htm
One family of these chemicals is called 'glucosinolates'. One of those glucosinonates is called
'sinigrin'. It is especially concentrated in Brussel sprouts. When Ian Johnson, a nutritional physiologist
from the Institute of Food Research in Norwich, England, fed it to laboratory rats, he found that just one
small dose of sinigrin would actually kill pre-cancerous cells that had already started growing in the gut
of the rats. What he thinks happens is the sinigrin breaks down to another chemical (which is the one
that causes the bitter taste and smell of Brussel sprouts), and this chemical then triggers pre-cancerous
cells to kill themselves, leaving the gut unharmed!

Carole C on 11/02/01 at 17:44 (064024)

Lemon juice is also a mild natural diuretic. So, it would reduce inflammation.

Carole

Re: Something really bazaar to try

Betty s on 11/02/01 at 19:38 (064028)

I have also had a great, unexpected remission and I am beginning to think that the condrotin , glucosamine supplements that I started a few months ago has really kicked in , I have gone from a hopeless 8 (pain level), to barely noticing pain (except for periods of standing still etc. ) and being a number 1-2 for pain. It is recommended by more doctors everyday. I tried it once before for a few weeks and didnt believe I needed months to get results but I think it is true.

Re: Lemon juice rambling and some new shoes

Carole C on 11/03/01 at 16:16 (064062)

Yesterday my heel was hurting more than usual.

After reading this thread, I drank about 1/3 cup of Minute Maid frozen lemon juice, mixed with warm water and sweet 'n' low, last night. What could it hurt? Lemon juice is even low in calories and I like it (with sweetener). I also took a multivitamin, and sat with my feet up (as is my habit in the evenings lately for obvious reasons). I also skipped my usual 0.4 miles on my new exercycle and just rested.

This morning, I felt pretty good even right after I got out of bed! Now this was a SHOCK! Usually I almost cannot walk until my Celebrex kicks in. I take my Celebrex first thing when I wake up.

Since it's Saturday, and my heel wasn't hurting as much, I decided this was an ideal morning to shop for new shoes. My old SAS shoes were getting pretty delapidated, and new shoes would be necessary soon even if my heel weren't hurting.

I got an Easy Spirit lace-up style called 'ESamigo', which is much better already. It fits my foot very well, and it provides a lot of support on the *side* of my foot, especially when I tie the laces tight, and this seems to be helping although I don't know why. I also got some Nike Airs just to see if they help my heel at all (I know from past experience that they are very helpful with the osteoarthritis in my knees).

Others here have recommended Birkenstock but I was not able to find any except for sandals and I need real shoes for work. If I do find Birkenstock locally, I may still buy them. Meanwhile, wish me luck with my Easy Spirits, Nike Airs, and lemon juice! :)

sandy h on 11/03/01 at 18:54 (064069)

Carole, obviously everyone is different but are you sure Nike Air are the right running shoe. The ones I used to wear in my running days had too soft a heel. Try pressing on the inside of the bottom of the heel and see if they give. There are a few postings on this site about stability and motion control shoes. I wear Asics 2060s although the doc on this site told me my next pair should be Asics MC plus. The New Balance and Brooks fans can tell you about their shoes but I have never heard anyone recommending Nike I'm sorry to say.

Carole C on 11/03/01 at 19:10 (064071)

Sandy, I have no intention of even breaking into a jog, much less a run... I have severe osteoarthritis and simply can't run. I guess I will try the Nike Airs. I did a search on this website, and scanned through all the messages concerning Nike Airs and read many enthusiastic posts about them; yours was the first that I noticed which was negative about them at all. Still, I appreciate your recommendation of Asics 2060. I have never heard of Asics but I will look into this brand too!

I tried pressing on the bottom of the heel and they don't give with just my hand pressing on them... it takes more pressure, and they do give when I walk on them. This is pretty essential for me due to my arthritis; there's no point in having heels that don't hurt if I can't walk due to my knees. Gee, this message sure sounds like I'm old! I'm only 53, though. Thanks again.

john h on 11/04/01 at 11:54 (064098)

I have read that any shoe using air for a cushioning effect is not good for achilles tendonitis so if you have that you need to take a 2nd look. I would tend to think the same problem could exist if you have PF.

sandy h on 11/04/01 at 19:01 (064122)

I don't run anymore either and still wear running shoes for walking but overpronation happens when you walk too I think. So worth trying a few pairs of running shoes to get the cushioning/stability balance right.

pam on 11/05/01 at 13:10 (064156)

For those of you who don't like brussel sprouts - which is better pain or eating this. I am in so much pain, I am willing to try any suggestions, especially if they are cheap and nutricous.

Re: Boo to Nikes

Carmen H on 11/05/01 at 14:58 (064163)

Nike's ruined my feet.
Just my 2 cents...

Barbara TX on 11/05/01 at 19:53 (064191)

I second the boo. Nikes hurt me too. B.

John h on 11/06/01 at 07:52 (064210)

I do not 'boo' Nikes i just stopped wearing them many years ago after developing achilles tendonitis. I read at that time and several times since that 'air cushioning' is not good for feet when you have conditions like achilles tendonitis as the air cushion allows the achilles to stretch or have tension on it with ever step. I do wear a Nike cap!

Re: Oh John.....

Carmen H on 11/06/01 at 08:02 (064213)

Okay John Mr. Smarty Pants.....
BOOO to the Nike SHOES only! hee hee
I admit I too like their clothes.....but the shoes....BOOOOOOO!!!!!!
:-)

JudyS on 11/06/01 at 09:57 (064226)

so THAT'S where my Nike baseball cap went off to! John, I told you when you were admiring it on my head in New Jersey that it's a GIRL-style hat! Take it off right now.

elliott on 11/06/01 at 11:21 (064230)

Is it still helping?

john h on 11/06/01 at 13:40 (064242)

judy: i was wondering where i got that Nike cap. Thanks girl! It is adjustable and one size fits all. It goes well with my black t-shirt.

Carole C. on 11/06/01 at 21:34 (064281)

Well, I haven't tried drinking any more lemon juice since then. And, I ate a couple of bagels yesterday (although I am still sticking with Weight Watchers very strictly). Bagels tend to make me retain water, so my feet and ankles are swelled up a little and I feel I'm retaining water... the opposite of what lemon juice does for me.

The new shoes give my feet some support on the sides, when I lace them up tight, so they are helping. I can walk pretty well when I have them on. The tighter they are laced, the better they feel. I think the reason why they help is that they keep my foot fairly immobile from the ankle down and give it a whole lot of support on the sides. When I take them off, I have to put my feet up right away to keep them from hurting for the first few minutes after I take them off. It is still very painful to walk barefoot. In the morning I even put my shoes on before taking my first steps, before I dress, and before that I gently try to loosen up my foot muscles by very gently wiggling my feet and rotating my ankles.

Even though I can get around fairly well now, I'm getting kind of discouraged. I'm thinking maybe I should stop trying to handle this myself, and instead go see a doctor. I haven't been to one yet, about this. The man I'm dating said his mother had heelspurs, and she felt a whole lot better within two days after surgery. My symptoms sound a lot like the descriptions of PF I've read here, except it hurts towards the back of my heel instead of the front or middle part of my heel. It started out in both heels but now it's mostly my left heel. If I'm sitting or lying down I have little to no pain as long as the back of my heel isn't touching anything. When I get up in the morning I can hardly walk.

It's been 45 days since this started. I hate this! I'm mad if I bought the wrong shoes, too. Thanks for asking, though.

Carole

john a on 11/07/01 at 08:46 (064295)

Caffeine is a stronger diuretic. It is also a vasoconstrictor. Does that mean it might help PF?

john a on 11/07/01 at 08:59 (064297)

My first podiatrist of 2.5 years ago recommended New Balance and Nike sneakers. Then again, I thought he sucked...

Carole C on 11/07/01 at 13:04 (064309)

I wouldn't think that it would, though I'm no expert.

Weight Watchers is where I learned about lemon juice; a person that drinks lemon juice is less likely to retain water (and so, that person may weigh a little less at weigh-in).

Weight Watchers also recommends drinking water for the same effect, as strange as that may seem. They require drinking a certain amount of water every day.

On the other hand, if you drink coffee or other caffeinated beverages, Weight Watchers requires that you drink extra water to make up for it. I've noticed personally that I feel more bloated and do not weigh less when I drink coffee, the opposite effect from when I drink water or lemon juice.

That's why I would guess that caffeine would have the reverse effect from what you are hoping.

(Weight Watchers explains this in terms of the fraction of water in the cells or between the cells, where the water is, in general, and though their explanation makes little sense to me, their rule about compensating for caffeinated beverages with extra water intake does make sense to me).

Carole

Carole C on 11/07/01 at 20:26 (064353)

I've never seen a podiatrist, but I've heard a lot of good things about New Balance. If I see them in a store, I will try them on and buy them if they feel good. It seems like everybody here likes them. They are a lot easier to find than some shoes.

Apparently everybody likes Birkenstock too, but I'm a little scared of them. All I've seen so far were the Arizona sandals, so I haven't tried them on (I don't need sandals in November). But I did feel the sole with my hand, and they felt SO HARD. My feet really really really hurt if I try walking barefoot on a hard floor (actually I really can't do that very well at all). I can't even imagine how much they would hurt walking on a hard sole like that (shudder). It sounds hideous. Probably I'd rather have someone pound six knitting needles into each foot. I promise I will try them on if I see any that I can wear to work. However, I probably do not have the guts to last through the break-in period even if I bought them. I'm no John Wayne.

Carole

Andrea R. on 11/08/01 at 08:24 (064384)

Carole,

Check out the New Balance web site before you go shopping. It will help direct you to the right styles for your feet.

I though the same thing about Birkenstock till I tried them. I live in New Hampshire and wear the Arizona's year round. In the colder weather you just wear them with socks. This gives you a chance to buy all the neat socks with patterns and show them off. Birkenstock does make closed shoes too. You need to get used to them by building up the length of time you wear them.

If your feet are hurting go see a podiatrist or foot and ankle orthopedist. If treated early you can often avoid alot of pain later no matter what the problem is.

Good Luck,

Andrea