Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ankle and heel pain

Posted by Jean M on 11/02/01 at 12:24 (064006)

I have been having ankle and heel pain for some time now. Last spring I had similar pain and had an mri. There was a fluid build up on the posterior tibial tendon. Some minor swelling and pain along the arch, like a burning pain. It was quite painful to walk on. It was put in a cast for 4 weeks and it calmed down. I have been wearing a good pair of walking shoes with additional arch support since that time. About a month ago the pain started to come back. It is very hard to walk first thing in the morning, then it seems to subside. But as I spend more time on my feet it gets more and more painful. By then end of the day I cannot walk at all. I have tried taking anti-inflamatories both prescribed and otc but all they do is upset my stomach, they don't seem to be effective for the pain. The other day a felt a popping sensation (nothing major) when I turned on this foot, afterward for a short time it even seemed to feel better. Last night was the most awful night I have ever had and today it definitely is not better. I returned to the doc yesterday and he suggested an air cast or a boot. I tried the air cast yesterday and that was even more painful, it seemed to rest right on the most tender area of my foot. Today I have on a boot, I had one from an injury to my other foot a few years ago. I put the arch support inside it for extra protection but it is almost impossible to put any pressure on my foot. Even while sitting it is painful and burns like crazy. The area starts behing my ankle and goes across my arch. It doesn't appear to be swollen but is tender to the touch. I hate to be a pest at the doctors office, so I hate to call back after having just been there yesterday. It just seems to be so much worse today. I have crutches and am doing my best to stay off it, how long should I try to ride this out before I call the doc back?

Re: Ankle and heel pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/02/01 at 13:47 (064012)

Hi,

A repeat mri with contrast dye may be needed . You could have a rupture of the posterior tibial tendon. Stay off the foot and give the doctor a call

Dr. Zuckerman

Jean M on 11/02/01 at 14:17 (064014)

If it was ruptured wouldn't it be swollen? It is just painful and seems to be burning. What happens if it is ruptured?

Jean M on 11/02/01 at 16:23 (064020)

I did want to say thank you too. Doc is gone for the afternoon but I will stay off it and if it isn't better on Monday I will call back. Thanks again.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/02/01 at 13:47 (064012)

Hi,

A repeat mri with contrast dye may be needed . You could have a rupture of the posterior tibial tendon. Stay off the foot and give the doctor a call

Dr. Zuckerman

Jean M on 11/02/01 at 14:17 (064014)

If it was ruptured wouldn't it be swollen? It is just painful and seems to be burning. What happens if it is ruptured?

Jean M on 11/02/01 at 16:23 (064020)

I did want to say thank you too. Doc is gone for the afternoon but I will stay off it and if it isn't better on Monday I will call back. Thanks again.