Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birks

Posted by Jimmer on 11/02/01 at 13:45 (064011)

I want to try Birkenstock because they have a lot of toe room, but I don't know if the footbed would be suitable because I have a false left leg, as I use the muscles in my right foot to maintain balance and I am worried that the movement required for this may be restricted by the footbed, and the muscles become weak and 'lazy' through underuse.

Re: Birks -- to Jimmer

nancy s. on 11/03/01 at 06:03 (064039)

jimmer, can you go to a store, get fitted for Birkenstock , and try walking around in them in the store for a good long time to see how they feel? in general, Birkenstock actually require the use of a lot of foot muscles and can be foot-strengthening, so you may not have a problem with them at all.
but i don't know, since you have a special case, whether the muscles you compensate with in your right foot are ones that would get the proper support from Birkenstock .
i think the only way for you to know would be to try them and see how they feel and whether you'd be using the muscles you need to rely on. Birkenstock do use more muscles than a lot of other shoes.
best of luck to you.
nancy

Re: Birks -- to Jimmer

nancy s. on 11/03/01 at 06:03 (064039)

jimmer, can you go to a store, get fitted for Birkenstock , and try walking around in them in the store for a good long time to see how they feel? in general, Birkenstock actually require the use of a lot of foot muscles and can be foot-strengthening, so you may not have a problem with them at all.
but i don't know, since you have a special case, whether the muscles you compensate with in your right foot are ones that would get the proper support from Birkenstock .
i think the only way for you to know would be to try them and see how they feel and whether you'd be using the muscles you need to rely on. Birkenstock do use more muscles than a lot of other shoes.
best of luck to you.
nancy