Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birks

Posted by Jimmer on 11/03/01 at 05:12 (064038)

I want to try Birkenstock because they have a lot of toe room, but I don't know if the footbed would be suitable because I have a false left leg, as I use the muscles in my right foot to maintain balance and I am worried that the movement required for this may be restricted by the footbed, and the muscles become weak and 'lazy' through underuse.

Re: Birks

Julie on 11/05/01 at 03:33 (064141)

Jimmer, I can't say for sure that Birkenstock will be suitable for you, not knowing the specific way in which you need to use your right foot to maintain overall balance. But generally speaking, Birkenstock strengthenn the foot muscles: this is one of their great virtues.

When you wear Birkenstock you're meant to grip with your toes: that's what the toe bar is for, so that with every step you take the entire musculature of your foot is exercised. I would certainly give them a try. Find a store that has a good stock of them, and well-trained sales staff. Take your time making up your mind before you buy.

Also remember that it takes time to break them in, so if you do buy a pair, be patient. Wear them for half an hour a day to start (or less if there is discomfort) and gradually increase over a couple of weeks. That's a good general rule, but you might find it takes longer in your case, as there will be more adapting to do.

Re: Birks

Julie on 11/05/01 at 03:33 (064141)

Jimmer, I can't say for sure that Birkenstock will be suitable for you, not knowing the specific way in which you need to use your right foot to maintain overall balance. But generally speaking, Birkenstock strengthenn the foot muscles: this is one of their great virtues.

When you wear Birkenstock you're meant to grip with your toes: that's what the toe bar is for, so that with every step you take the entire musculature of your foot is exercised. I would certainly give them a try. Find a store that has a good stock of them, and well-trained sales staff. Take your time making up your mind before you buy.

Also remember that it takes time to break them in, so if you do buy a pair, be patient. Wear them for half an hour a day to start (or less if there is discomfort) and gradually increase over a couple of weeks. That's a good general rule, but you might find it takes longer in your case, as there will be more adapting to do.