Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

hospital security gave me a lovely parking citation on my car window

Posted by linda A on 11/03/01 at 20:40 (064075)

while i was pulling out of the garage i notice a white piece of paper on my window shield ( parking citation ) . i drove up to the hospital security office at the E.r. entrance with my handicapp sticker , Ky handicap license , and identification in hand . let me explain why security gave me a ticket . i parked in the garage that is connected to the hospital . we are not allowed to do that . that is why i went out to apply for this handicapp sticker . but i did not want to park in a handicapp parking spot . i just want to park in a space close to the hospital . trying to remain calm ( i was manic the whole day ---- very much in a good mood ) . i first talked to one of my good friends in security . he understood the problem , however he did not write the ticket . when the officer who wrote the ticket came forth to explain why he did it , he pretty much said he was following the orders of administration . so , monday i plan to speak to admin on the matter of parking somewhere close to hospital vs. taking up a elderly handicapp place . today i went to three different stores , although my feet are in constant pain i know i can walk the distance of block . now i do remember someone posting about someone parking in handicap place and jumping out like they had no defect . that could have been me . some times i act like i have nothing wrong . then allof o a sudden i am wondering what in the hell did i do wrong . my feet are arein constant pain ( numb ----- where i wish they were cut off ) . so please do not judge someone by how they get out of the car . i am 36 yr and can not believe that i had to apply for handicap sticker . i am still at the stage of denial where i may never go back to my love hiking and biking . yes ------ laurie we can DREAM

Re: hospital security gave me a lovely parking citation on my car window

Laurie R on 11/03/01 at 23:02 (064080)

Hey Linda , So sorry to hear what happen today to you . I hope you get it all taken care of on Monday . I am sure this guy who gave you the ticket did not know of your disability ... I do hope he feels bad when you told him.

A few weeks ago , I went to the grocery store with my hubby . I parked in the handicap parking . I also have a temp 6 month sticker that I just got a few months ago.

It was a really bad pain day and I just wanted to get in and out of the store. Their was this older man standing in front of the store as I walked in . He said something to me ,but I did not understand him. I thought he was just one of those off the wall people.

So when I came out of the store their was a while piece of paper on my window. I thought I had got a ticket. So I got it and it was a note from the man. He told me I should be ashamed of myself for parking in a handicap parking spot , and he said that I had no disability . Now how in the world would this man know what was wrong with me . I was limping as I always do when I walk .

I was so mad at him , I just wish he would of stayed till I came out of the store. My hubby was so mad too. I wish even better he would of called the police so I could show them I am disabled. The pain I had that day was terrible . That man would of got an ear full from me if he would of stayed.

It made me mad all day long. People should never judge anyone at all for any reason . Unless you know someone for sure is abusing the sticker.

So that is my little story . I feel bad to begin with for taking the spot . I have only used the sticker two times. I will look for another spot always before I take the handicap. I do know their are people that need it more then I .

I hope you don't let this ruine the rest of your weekend.

Yes we can dream , don't ever stop dreaming . No one can take our dreams from us , they are ours to keep .....:)

Laurie R

BrianG on 11/04/01 at 10:30 (064093)

Hi Linda,

Since I worked almost 20 years in the security business, I'd like to let you know what I have seen happening. The person who gave you the ticket was probably relativly new on the job. Unfortunatly most all security jobs are now run by contract companies. They offer poor benefits, minimal raises, and have constant turnover. This is the biggest problem the industy faces, turnover. If they could keep people for any amount of time, you would find they would take more pride in there work, be more helpful, and not always have to go by the book.

When you are constantly training new hires, 'the book' is all they have to go by. It's a systemic problem, found everwhere from hospitals, big business, to airlines. The bean counters are always cutting at the bottom, and for whatever reason, they consider security the bottom, an unnecessary evil. Hopefully the industry will change as the results of 9-11. I'll step off my soap box now, best wishes.

BCG

Re: hello brian ! thanks for responding . my prayers are w/ you right now

linda A on 11/04/01 at 16:57 (064116)

i have been reading your post and thinking about you . you are exactly right about what has happen in the security business . my father was a policeman and he use to be in charge of security at the louisville airport, churchill downs racing track , and some hospital clinics . he passed away two years ago . anyway i have alot of respect for security guards . i love your soap boxes , so never stop telling them . where are you from brian ? i wish you all the luck in fighting for your disability . go get em brian !!!!!! your friend linda ( sometimes i am by the book and sometimes i know how to learn to be flexible ) .

Re: laurie --- it could not ruin my weekend after i saw the golden gate bridge

linda A on 11/04/01 at 17:27 (064118)

thank you !!!! awesome picture laurie . had trouble getting on line this weekend . both w/ netzero and w/ my hotmail.com .... boy did i have a boring weekend . not really i spent sunday seeing my two brothers . they both live about 10-15 min apart from me . mike has a girl name kaitlyn ,who is 7 yr old and john has a boy name little john ,who is 6yr old . later my brother -in law , david stopped by w/ my sister kids austin ( 7 )and hannah ( 5 ) . these kids keep me young even though my bones crackle and pop like that sound from the rice krisp creal ,when i get on the floor w/ them . austin and myself are reading the second book of harry potter . i really don't know too much about the book , because i don't see austin every day . so the next time i see him we are farther into the book and he has to explain the book to me . i am always lost . ha ha !!! it seems to me that the golden gate bridge had a problem some yr ago ( correct if i am wrong ) . it was in january on my birthday . on january 17 th louisville , KY had a big snow fall of the yr ( around 6-7 yrs ago ). louisville came to a hault . no trucks or planes could go anywhere . outwest they had a big earthquake in california on that same day . were you living in san francisco area at the time ? i believe it did something to the bridge . by the way i was also born in one of the biggest snowfall days that hit louisville in 1965 . almost didn't make it to hospital mom was in a yellow cab on x-way , but we finally made it . i will not be dreaming of snow tonight . i hate the cold . i like the beach scenery . linda

BrianG on 11/05/01 at 13:59 (064157)

Hi Linda,

I'm from central Massachusetts. I don't know why I feel that I should have to vent on security issues, since I was a hippie for about 10 years in anoher lifetime. And what a fun lifetime it was :*)

BCG

PS: Thank god for the memories!

Re: brian a hippie . i just love it .

linda A on 11/05/01 at 14:30 (064159)

my little nephew was born 7 yrs ago on the woodstock anniversary weekend . i wanted to go up north to see the sights . ( i am a nerd ) ha ha !!!! . well i spent that sat night watching that boy pop out of my sister . what a sight ( instead of grass we smoke cigars ----- ha ha ) . i nickname him ' woody ' and that is what my O.R. friends called him for years . now i just call him austin . now tell me about your hippie days . don't leave anything out . and john h can freely join in on the conversation . where has john been hiding ? how cold is it in your neck of woods -- brian ?

Re: i'm still a hippy.

paula on 11/05/01 at 17:46 (064177)

just an older one. lived on and off at a clothing optional hot springs community in northern calif. where we did nothing much more than float around in the water and namaste each other all day. and try to figure out how to live minimally without working. it was great.

Barbara TX on 11/05/01 at 19:59 (064192)

namaste? What is this, Paula? B.

paula on 11/05/01 at 21:02 (064198)

pronounced nah mas tee. in India, they greet each other by placing hands together flat, fingers pointing up and bow a little. (like Ghandi in the movie) .This is a namaste. sometimes people say 'namaste' when they do it. always thought it looked phoney when non Indians did it and sorta gagged whenever i got namaste'd which was often. sometimes you say new age stuff when you do it, like 'love and light be with you' or 'may you never sit on your quartz crystal when it is pointing upward.'

Nancy N on 11/05/01 at 21:31 (064200)

ROFL, Paula, you are just too funny!!! Now there is an image for you...

Re: you guys are too cool . i am 36 yrs old

linda a on 11/06/01 at 05:38 (064208)

i just love hearing about your stories . it cheers me up . right now i am manic . don't need too much cheering up . i went back to the posting about the dreams . and found everyone there . there was tex barb , necee , judy , john , and the rest of the old gang along w/ the new ( suzanne --- KY ) . sometimes i forget to go back and look . thank you for keeping in touch . linda i sneak into the anesthesia office this morning to write this letter . ha ha ha !!!! it is 6:30 am all is quiet on the front . big case load for today . i like sat where i can take my time to look in on the cases ; do not get do that during the week have 12 rooms to take care of . sat i watch a big debriement of the chest cavity . a man had heart surgery in sept . yucky case ! had to scoop out all the infectious glob . see ya later . linda

john h on 11/06/01 at 08:05 (064215)

Paula: the closest I came to being a Hippy was owning two Vokwagen Bugs and visiting Height Ashbury.

john h on 11/06/01 at 08:07 (064216)

paula: they use the same greeting in Thailand and use the phrase 'sawadee' when greeting someone. Also interesting is that men frequently hold hands while walking down the street and they are not gay.

John h on 11/06/01 at 08:09 (064217)

Linda: What type of nursing do you do? surgery,what?

Re: Namaste

Julie on 11/06/01 at 08:28 (064218)

Namaste is a hand mudra. A mudra is a gesture which has a symbolic meaning and a spiritual significance, not confined to India. When two people greet each other with 'Namaste', each acknowledges and salutes the Divine within the other, and within him or her self. If it is done with good intention, and not perfunctorily, it is both powerful and humbling (it subdues the ego). It is also calming to the nervous system.

Re: it's never to late to become a hippy john

paul on 11/06/01 at 09:02 (064219)

let's see. begin slowly. start with these simple exercises. arise for the day four hours later than usual. decide pleasure and peace are important for yourself and all living things. plan the rest of your day around this principle. eat some soy protein. whew. i'm exhausted. that's enough for today. the beauty of being a hippy is that underachievement can be couched in lofty terms. too lazy to go anywere? then you are not going to contribute to car pollution. don't want to work? then you will not participate in the capitalist system. actually i am sarcastic but still a hippy and in actuality believe all the stuff i did when i was young, or all i can remember anyway. 'if you can remember the sixties you really weren't participating fully'

paula on 11/06/01 at 09:03 (064220)

oh no, the anabolic steroids have turned me into paul.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/06/01 at 09:46 (064225)

I was born in 1968.....do I qualify as a hippie???
Richard

Barbara TX on 11/06/01 at 11:42 (064232)

Namaste to you, Julie. You are back! What has been going on with you across the pond lately? B.

Barbara TX on 11/06/01 at 11:51 (064233)

Boy, I am behind the learning curve here. Wore a suit and banker's glasses to college and carried a briefcase - queen of the capitalist geeks. I remember starting my 'portfolio' sophomore year of high school and wanting to date another nerd in my physics class because he looked suitably uptight and had earning potential. I thought that anyone who did not shave their legs had to have been raised by wolves.

I think that I learned to hippie up when I had babies with the nursing organic food, and baby sling.

But you see where bare feet ultimately gets you :(

Barbara TX on 11/06/01 at 11:53 (064234)

Richard, you are 33! I always thought that you were much older than me (because you are so wise, I am sure). B.

john h on 11/06/01 at 13:54 (064244)

barb: what does scott think about your nerd friends and geeks in school? do you stay in touch with them? does scott, who attended The Academy, ever wonder about your nerd friends and why you chose him over them. I personally ran with a bunch of jackals in school and sort of was one of them. I never dated a girl who carried a brief case! I do not even remember a girl carrying a brief case. Some of the girls I dated hitch hiked to school.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/06/01 at 15:51 (064249)

Wow...if you told that to my wife...she would die laughing. Since we have a new baby...please don't tell her how wise you think I am. LOL!!!!
Richard

Re: i am not a nurse . i make half the salary of nurse

linda a on 11/06/01 at 17:20 (064255)

i am anesthesia tech ( $ 11 ) . there are two of us at audubon hospital . we take care of the gas machines ( 12 in main o.r. and 4 in day surgery )meaning cleaning co2 monitors and calibrating o2 monitors and and making sure everything is in working order , clean anesthesia blades and lf-1 difficult intubation scopes (used on difficult intubating cases and collapsing one lung to place a double lumen tube ), we also stock these Sears red anesthesia carts , which are filled w/ drugs and supplies such as 2x2's , tegaderms , i.v. fluid , angiocath , syringes ,and etc ( 250 items ) . sometimes the job is exciting and sometimes it is extremely boring . i like to work saturdays because i get to stay in the rooms and watch the cases . during the week i am too busy ( spread too thin between the 12 rooms --- always a fast turnover ) . the talk in the o.r. is always about sports ( u of l football is better than u of k , that is why we are waiting for basketball season ) . go wildcats !!! are you a razorback fan john ? were you also a hippie ( be honest ) ?

BrianG on 11/06/01 at 17:28 (064256)

This is a good one, Linda wants me to compress 10 years of my life into a couple of paragraphs, hahaaa. How about if I give you 2 lines instead. One, I thank God every day that AIDS had not arrived yet! And, I wore the same style of Birkenstock back then, that I do now, Arizona's :*) :*) I lived in Kona, Hawaii. Excellent snorkelng and volcano watching!!! Plus the main crop was coffee and po* hahahaaaa

Hey brother, anyone got a bud? :*)
BCG

PS It's about freezing at night and 40's to 50's during the day. Still pretty nice.

Re: i also thought richard was older than me

linda a on 11/06/01 at 17:34 (064257)

i have something embarassing to say . my father the police officer bought my siblings and myself tickets to see the rolling stones last concert . i ask father who they were . our tickets were 6 rows back . it was the best gift father ever gave me . you see my birthday was always skipped , because it was in january and it always snowed heavily and nobody could go anywhere . he also bought us tickets to see the grateful dead . well that was another group we did not know ( i was in my 20's ) and we dressed in plaid shorts . i got high from the smoke in the air . tex barb would have loved the scenery , the female groupies did not shave their arm pits or their legs . so were we smelling the pot or the body odor ?

john h on 11/06/01 at 18:17 (064260)

you bet i am a Razorback fan Linda. How about our 7 overtimes victory over Ole Miss. What a game. I know you Kentucy fans are more into your basketball but i am familiar with your 300lb QB. Our basketball team should be good this year but not as good as yours. We just had one of the top highschool basketball players in the nation committ to Arkansas yesterday. My daughter is a Radiolog Tech at a very large hospital in Little Rock. She has been there for 20 years and really enjoys her work. I have a couple of doctor friends who are anesthesiaologist. seems they are always getting sued.

john h on 11/06/01 at 18:21 (064261)

Linda: I cannot believe you did not know who the Rolling Stones or Grateful Dead are! I bet you know who Dolly Parton and Johnny Cash are! You cannot be to far from Dolly Land. And you guys in Kentucky call us hillbillys here in Arkansas the home of Lum and Abner and the Jot Em Down Store.

Barbara TX on 11/06/01 at 20:21 (064269)

My first concert was sort of mistake. Guy I knew was playing for a band, The Violent Femmes. I had no clue what kind of music. I went after school by bus to 1st Ave. (Prince's Club) in Minneapolis, and went backstage to sit around, replete in my Catholic School uniform and saddle shoes. Totally clueless. That was my first and last concert. Wild. My mom and dad were on the lawn doing yard work when this smoky van pulled up and I tumbled out in a cloud with my preppie pink sweater on. They asked who dropped me off, and I had to say the VIOLENT FEMMES. It was so weird that they didn't even ask one question about it. Not one. I just went straight up to my room and started working on my Latin homework. Geek stress response.

Totally, totally clueless! B.

Nancy N on 11/06/01 at 21:23 (064278)

I had to admit to a friend of mine on Sunday that I had never been to a concert that was not at my hometown fair. The Go-Gos in 8th grade, then the Fixx when I was in 10th, and Gloria Estefan in either 11th or 12th. But that's it. Desperately wanted to see Duran Duran when I was in middle school, but since it was out of town, it was a no-go.

Boy, did I feel overprotected when I admitted that!

And Barb, the image of you tumbling out of a Violent Femmes van is just too funny!

Necee on 11/06/01 at 23:57 (064288)

I understand that some disabilities can't been seen, but my point is...and this is just my opinion, when a person is able to walk from their house to their car without any trouble then I don't see how they can justify taking up a handicap space.

I have seen it happen so many times......these cars jockying into position in the parking lot, and when they can't find suitable parking then they whip right into a handicap space. The occupants get out without any trouble whatsoever and literally dash into the store. Women wearing high heels even! I'm sorry but that just burns me up! I'd bet the farm that the women who post here couldn't wear high heels even if they wanted to. To take up a parking space that is meant to be used by the disabled in my view shows a complete and disgusting lack of respect for fellowman.
If a person has trouble walking, then it would be noticable wouldn't you think. All of us here who experience foot pain walk either with a limp or use some sort of walking aide. And if thats NOT your situation then please...please don't use those spaces.
Most of us even when we are in pain don't park in those spots because we have compassion in our hearts for those who truly need them.

What I'm trying to say is, I just have a problem with those that continue to abuse the system and never blink an eye. And like I said once before, heaven forbid if they should ever really need those spaces.

Happy Trails,
Necee

Re: john ------ we need help w/ the football program maybe you could show us a few good plays

linda a on 11/07/01 at 05:53 (064289)

i used to attend the football games ; didn't care if we lost ( it just fun ) . those lexington troppers would stand under the bleachers and watch for fallen whiskey btles , then they would march up dragging people down ( no drinking allowed ) . see ya later john . linda

Julie on 11/07/01 at 06:34 (064290)

Namaste, Barb.

Well, I went to Crete, exhausted after September 11 and a complete basket case after an 8-hour flight delay; and came back again, refreshed and ready for two months' concentrated effort: apart from my regular classes I've had workshops to give every weekend from mid-October to the end of November. All enjoyable and rewarding. The long drives to here there and everywhere are tiring, but quickly forgotten. Not much news apart from that. Oh yes - I took the train to Brighton last Friday morning - I had to go to a meeting there, but it was at 4, so I spent a whole beautiful clear sunny afternoon on the beach, gazing at the sparkly sea. I rang Klaus on my mobile and held it so he could hear the sea, and said 'it's a lot cheaper than going to Crete'.

I do envy Nancy, going to live by the sea!

What about you? I know you've had a painful time of it lately: I'm sorry about that, and I hope things will improve very soon.

Take care

Julie

Re: Correction: HE said it was cheaper than going to Crete

Julie on 11/07/01 at 06:35 (064291)

I would never say such a thing.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/07/01 at 08:57 (064296)

If I did not think every one would laugh their a** off...I would submit a picture. My first concert was Sha-Na-Na believe it or not. I was about 10 years old. My mom told me to go to the stage...I got a cool picture of Bowzer flexing his 'muscle'.

Who are the Grateful Dead?? LOL Just kidding. I was in to 80's stuff, but not like Nancy N. I was more into the heavy metal. I played in a metal band, had the hair and everything. THAT PICTURE WILL NOT BE POSTED.

Love the Violent Femmes ordeal...how funny!!!!

Richard

Barbara TX on 11/07/01 at 09:58 (064299)

The guy who played saxaphone for the Femmes when they were in Mpls. also took me to my senior prom. He is a dead ringer for Dick Cheney, thus the attraction.

POST THE PICTURE!!!! You would give us endless pleasure! B.

Barbara TX on 11/07/01 at 10:00 (064301)

Yes, Julie, a hard time. Another MRI today to check for stress fractures and neuromas. I hate the tube! And I get shots with this one too (contrast dye). Miserable. But, hopefully it will tell us something.

Welcome back! B.

Barbara TX on 11/07/01 at 11:09 (064304)

Oh, John - Scott is a geek too. Remember, he went right from WP to U of Chicago, where he was fully nerdified. Peace out. B.

Barbara TX on 11/07/01 at 11:17 (064305)

Nancy - The only 80's I liked was GOGOs and Police. The only concerts I went to were symphony. I was such a crazy geek that I used to sneak into symphony concerts by myself because my parents thought I was deranged that I would go to a concert alone. I was an Edward Elgar/Gustav Mahler groupie, working hard to hide my sick secret. The rest of my family is normal working class Joe-six-packs.

I thought, why fight the man, when you can actually BE the man? B.

john h on 11/07/01 at 11:28 (064306)

Barb: you are very correct and I had forgot about scott attending the U. of Chicago which is most certainly a 'geek' school even though the atom bomb was conceived there. one of my geek buddies attended U. of Chicago and I of course lived in the suburbs but did not meet many of the geek students. I bet they all carried brief cases. Now, there was a Catholic girls college (Barrett) in Lake Forest just a few miles from my home and I will promise you they were no geek girls there.

john h on 11/07/01 at 11:30 (064307)

where were all you wild girls when I was growing up? I must have been running with the wrong crowd.

JudyS on 11/07/01 at 13:48 (064313)

We were too young to realize how much fun being 'wild' could have been for us! Besides, 60's girls were good girls (until the 70's....)

john h on 11/07/01 at 15:18 (064319)

The '60's' girls sort of scarred me with their granny dresses and beads. I did not mind their slogan 'make love (or was it peace) not war'!

Re: john----- you are too funny

linda on 11/07/01 at 15:19 (064320)

i thought everyone called us that . what was that scandal in arkansas which involved the clintons . something about real estate property . i thought you all were known as the ' city slickers ' . ha ha !!!! well john are you going to come up a teach us a few good plays on the field . billy ray cyrus and the judds are ky . when i lived out in the country i used to listen to that kind of music . now i like christian rock music . oh , i forgot to tell you i was into transdental mediatation in my college years w/ the mantra . is that hip ? nothing in the brownies though . ha ha !!!!!

john h on 11/07/01 at 15:23 (064322)

richard you wise old devil i hope you do not cross me up and like brussell sprouts! everyone is older than barb (except carmen)! barb is still engrossed on finding the meaning of life.

Nancy N on 11/07/01 at 17:29 (064336)

Wow. A Mahler groupie, there can't be many of those around... And Elgar is about as different as you cann get, in many ways. I myself was, and still am, a Vaughn Williams aficionado, when it comes to classical music. Love to hear it, love to sing it... I sang in a choir a few years ago that specialized in Russian choral music--now THAT is some amazing stuff. Wish the group still existed.

Whenever I went to concerts, it was usually classical, with my parents. Symphony this, symphony that... I got kind of bored with it unless I could take a book, since am very visual and need to be able to watch something. Not a whole lot of visual stuff going on at a symphony concert sometimes. I went this past weekend and actually, it was better than usual--watching the conductor and some of the players was interesting.

But I was also a serious child of the 80s and have the souvenirs to prove it. Duran Duran was the be-all and end-all when I was in middle school. Went through a serious infatuation with Sting, and still think he's pretty cool. I have a decent collection of 80s CDs--Oingo Boingo, Big Country, Duran Duran (of course!), Synchonicity (only Police album I actually have, all the rest are Sting), Peter Gabriel, The Fixx (the thinking girl's 80s band!), Erasure, Eurythmics, etc etc etc...

About a year ago, we got an all-80s station in Philadelphia. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I never listen to pop radio anymore, though I am still in touch enough to know who my kids at school listen to--most of the time! It's true, I've become an old lady at the ripe age of 30.

Nancy N on 11/07/01 at 17:31 (064337)

In Barb's defense, John, I am just a little younger than she is. I am still the baby no matter where I go... everyone else tells me that's a great thing, but it does get old after a while!

john h on 11/07/01 at 18:18 (064340)

Linda: as a matter of fact i do listen to billy ray and the judds. I have also spent a few nights at Opera Land in Nashville (convention) and attended the Grand Ole Opera. Where have you gone 'Grandpa Jones' and what happened to the great tv show 'Hee Haw'? I know Minnie Perle has passed on to the big farm in the sky. Buck Jones was one of my favorites and the old hound dog on the show must surely be gone. I also liked to dance the Funky Chicken or do the Swim. I can handle most anything except heavy metal and have never got inot hip hop.

john h on 11/07/01 at 18:21 (064341)

Nancy N. Bet you did not know that Sting was a school teacher before he became a musical artist. He is very intelligent as well as being a very good talent.

Barbara TX on 11/07/01 at 19:43 (064348)

I love Vaughn Williams as well - beautiful liturgical music too. Boy, you really DID love 80's! Only Russian choral music I've heard was in 'The Hunt for Red October.' Great movie. B.

Nancy N on 11/07/01 at 21:08 (064360)

Now, John, dear... when I say that I had an infatuation with Sting, we are not talking a passing interest. We are talking a full-blown, 13-year-old. life-threatening crush (it's a girl thing, but boy, you do not want to get on the wrong side of this kind of 13-year-old girl energy!). I had the cheesy mass-market paperback biography! You bet I knew that he was a teacher--an English teacher in a girls' school--I'm pretty sure he coached soccer there, too. And he got his name because he wore a black-and-yellow striped sweater that made him look like a bumble bee. His 'real' name is Gordon Sumner.

I for one consider his background as an English teacher part of the reason why he writes lyrics fit for an English Lit class.

:)

Nancy N on 11/07/01 at 21:12 (064361)

Oh yes, the 80s were definitely my thing. There's still a box in my old closet at my parents' house full of buttons with pop stars' pictures on them (a few Duran Duran, I think, and maybe George Michael and Paul Young, too), those silly rubber-band type bracelets that Madonna made popular (and which I could swear I just saw at a Wal-Mart or Target recently!), big barrettes with even bigger bows on them... yeah, I was there!

You must must must find yourself a copy of the Rachmaninov Vespers (also--and more accurately--called the All-Night Vigil), preferably a recording by a Russian choir. All a capella, and just the most amazing textures and melodies you have ever heard. It will give you goosebumps.

joh h on 11/07/01 at 21:21 (064362)

barb: do you also like 'Vaughn Monroe'?

john h on 11/07/01 at 21:25 (064363)

nancy: it sure looks like i walked into a 'bees nest' good pun huh! you sure know your Sting a lot better than i would have gussed. I had always wondered how he got his name.

john h on 11/07/01 at 21:26 (064364)

nancy: after reading your post i will rename myself 'stung'!

Nancy N on 11/07/01 at 21:32 (064365)

John--

Part of the life-threatening crush experience is buying up every magazine/newspaper/etc that has anything to do with the object of your undying teenaged affection (ask a current 13 year-old how much stuff she has, how how many websites she knows of, for the Backstreet Boys or N'Sync!). I inhaled that stuff. It's a wonder any of us survive those teenage years!

But at least you learned something about Sting--so glad to be of service, and put my otherwise-worthless knowledge to good use!

Nancy N on 11/07/01 at 21:33 (064366)

I will have to find a yellow-and-black sweater for you, John!!

Richard, C.Ped on 11/08/01 at 08:56 (064390)

wow nancy..you were really into the 80's stuff. Dont' tell me you wore the leg warmers as well....ha ha. How about the black and white checked shoes from 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High'?
Richard

Richard, C.Ped on 11/08/01 at 09:03 (064392)

I don't like brussel sprouts either. I am not much on steak and potatoes though....only for cholesterol reasons. I like protien shakes and bars as well as chicken. Gotta keep in shape so I can scare off my daughters boyfriends. haha

The girls of the 80's and 90's were pretty wild as well. Groupies....gotta love em....
Richard

Nancy N on 11/08/01 at 12:11 (064410)

I know I owned legwarmers, at least for a little while, but I don't recall them being a big part of my life, and I don't think I even owned any after 6th grade. Didn't have the Vans, either. And, if you can believe this, I have never seen Fast Times at Ridgemont High--my family wasn't into movies, and I wasn't always allowed to go with my friends (those derned overprotective parents!). I was just thinking about it the other day when I heard the Jackson Browne song from that movie, but I am not sure that watching it now would make up for it--I might have missed the moment...

Barbara TX on 11/08/01 at 14:14 (064417)

I had leg warmers in abundance, and I regret to say that I remember the infamous line from 'Fast Times': 'Tardy? I don't feel tardy. ' I worked my little butt off babysitting in order to afford a pair of white canvas Nikes with a baby blue SWOOSH on the side. Somewhere tucked deep in my memorabilia is a blue swoosh given to me by a boy I adored in the 8th grade. He tore it off his Nikes and gave it to me. We wrote horror stories (Steven King style) and exchanged them. My heart was won with a swoosh. B.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/08/01 at 14:57 (064422)

I can't believe you have never seen 'Fast Times'. Wow. I guess it is the 80's version of 'American Pie'. If you are picky about the content of your movies, I would pass on it. Funny stuff though.

Barb Tx...I actually used the line 'I don't feel tardy' in school. My English teacher did not think it was funny. The kids did. I always wished I had the guts to order a pizza to class...that would have been fun.

Honestly...I did not own leg warmers. ha ha. I wore jeans with holes in the knees and concert t-shirts. Mostly Iron Maiden and the like.

What ever happened to Jackson Browne? What a cool singer.

Richard

Nancy N on 11/08/01 at 16:21 (064439)

Jackson Browne is still around, never fear--I have his album 'I'm Alive' and it's one of my favorites.

I might try to catch Fast Times sometime, but I just have a feeling I might be too old for it now...that it would have been something I should have seen first as a teenager. But maybe since I am teaching now, I'll still get something out of it?

Laurie R on 11/03/01 at 23:02 (064080)

Hey Linda , So sorry to hear what happen today to you . I hope you get it all taken care of on Monday . I am sure this guy who gave you the ticket did not know of your disability ... I do hope he feels bad when you told him.

A few weeks ago , I went to the grocery store with my hubby . I parked in the handicap parking . I also have a temp 6 month sticker that I just got a few months ago.

It was a really bad pain day and I just wanted to get in and out of the store. Their was this older man standing in front of the store as I walked in . He said something to me ,but I did not understand him. I thought he was just one of those off the wall people.

So when I came out of the store their was a while piece of paper on my window. I thought I had got a ticket. So I got it and it was a note from the man. He told me I should be ashamed of myself for parking in a handicap parking spot , and he said that I had no disability . Now how in the world would this man know what was wrong with me . I was limping as I always do when I walk .

I was so mad at him , I just wish he would of stayed till I came out of the store. My hubby was so mad too. I wish even better he would of called the police so I could show them I am disabled. The pain I had that day was terrible . That man would of got an ear full from me if he would of stayed.

It made me mad all day long. People should never judge anyone at all for any reason . Unless you know someone for sure is abusing the sticker.

So that is my little story . I feel bad to begin with for taking the spot . I have only used the sticker two times. I will look for another spot always before I take the handicap. I do know their are people that need it more then I .

I hope you don't let this ruine the rest of your weekend.

Yes we can dream , don't ever stop dreaming . No one can take our dreams from us , they are ours to keep .....:)

Laurie R

BrianG on 11/04/01 at 10:30 (064093)

Hi Linda,

Since I worked almost 20 years in the security business, I'd like to let you know what I have seen happening. The person who gave you the ticket was probably relativly new on the job. Unfortunatly most all security jobs are now run by contract companies. They offer poor benefits, minimal raises, and have constant turnover. This is the biggest problem the industy faces, turnover. If they could keep people for any amount of time, you would find they would take more pride in there work, be more helpful, and not always have to go by the book.

When you are constantly training new hires, 'the book' is all they have to go by. It's a systemic problem, found everwhere from hospitals, big business, to airlines. The bean counters are always cutting at the bottom, and for whatever reason, they consider security the bottom, an unnecessary evil. Hopefully the industry will change as the results of 9-11. I'll step off my soap box now, best wishes.

BCG

linda A on 11/04/01 at 16:57 (064116)

i have been reading your post and thinking about you . you are exactly right about what has happen in the security business . my father was a policeman and he use to be in charge of security at the louisville airport, churchill downs racing track , and some hospital clinics . he passed away two years ago . anyway i have alot of respect for security guards . i love your soap boxes , so never stop telling them . where are you from brian ? i wish you all the luck in fighting for your disability . go get em brian !!!!!! your friend linda ( sometimes i am by the book and sometimes i know how to learn to be flexible ) .

Re: laurie --- it could not ruin my weekend after i saw the golden gate bridge

linda A on 11/04/01 at 17:27 (064118)

thank you !!!! awesome picture laurie . had trouble getting on line this weekend . both w/ netzero and w/ my hotmail.com .... boy did i have a boring weekend . not really i spent sunday seeing my two brothers . they both live about 10-15 min apart from me . mike has a girl name kaitlyn ,who is 7 yr old and john has a boy name little john ,who is 6yr old . later my brother -in law , david stopped by w/ my sister kids austin ( 7 )and hannah ( 5 ) . these kids keep me young even though my bones crackle and pop like that sound from the rice krisp creal ,when i get on the floor w/ them . austin and myself are reading the second book of harry potter . i really don't know too much about the book , because i don't see austin every day . so the next time i see him we are farther into the book and he has to explain the book to me . i am always lost . ha ha !!! it seems to me that the golden gate bridge had a problem some yr ago ( correct if i am wrong ) . it was in january on my birthday . on january 17 th louisville , KY had a big snow fall of the yr ( around 6-7 yrs ago ). louisville came to a hault . no trucks or planes could go anywhere . outwest they had a big earthquake in california on that same day . were you living in san francisco area at the time ? i believe it did something to the bridge . by the way i was also born in one of the biggest snowfall days that hit louisville in 1965 . almost didn't make it to hospital mom was in a yellow cab on x-way , but we finally made it . i will not be dreaming of snow tonight . i hate the cold . i like the beach scenery . linda

BrianG on 11/05/01 at 13:59 (064157)

Hi Linda,

I'm from central Massachusetts. I don't know why I feel that I should have to vent on security issues, since I was a hippie for about 10 years in anoher lifetime. And what a fun lifetime it was :*)

BCG

PS: Thank god for the memories!

linda A on 11/05/01 at 14:30 (064159)

my little nephew was born 7 yrs ago on the woodstock anniversary weekend . i wanted to go up north to see the sights . ( i am a nerd ) ha ha !!!! . well i spent that sat night watching that boy pop out of my sister . what a sight ( instead of grass we smoke cigars ----- ha ha ) . i nickname him ' woody ' and that is what my O.R. friends called him for years . now i just call him austin . now tell me about your hippie days . don't leave anything out . and john h can freely join in on the conversation . where has john been hiding ? how cold is it in your neck of woods -- brian ?

paula on 11/05/01 at 17:46 (064177)

just an older one. lived on and off at a clothing optional hot springs community in northern calif. where we did nothing much more than float around in the water and namaste each other all day. and try to figure out how to live minimally without working. it was great.

Barbara TX on 11/05/01 at 19:59 (064192)

namaste? What is this, Paula? B.

paula on 11/05/01 at 21:02 (064198)

pronounced nah mas tee. in India, they greet each other by placing hands together flat, fingers pointing up and bow a little. (like Ghandi in the movie) .This is a namaste. sometimes people say 'namaste' when they do it. always thought it looked phoney when non Indians did it and sorta gagged whenever i got namaste'd which was often. sometimes you say new age stuff when you do it, like 'love and light be with you' or 'may you never sit on your quartz crystal when it is pointing upward.'

Nancy N on 11/05/01 at 21:31 (064200)

ROFL, Paula, you are just too funny!!! Now there is an image for you...

linda a on 11/06/01 at 05:38 (064208)

i just love hearing about your stories . it cheers me up . right now i am manic . don't need too much cheering up . i went back to the posting about the dreams . and found everyone there . there was tex barb , necee , judy , john , and the rest of the old gang along w/ the new ( suzanne --- KY ) . sometimes i forget to go back and look . thank you for keeping in touch . linda i sneak into the anesthesia office this morning to write this letter . ha ha ha !!!! it is 6:30 am all is quiet on the front . big case load for today . i like sat where i can take my time to look in on the cases ; do not get do that during the week have 12 rooms to take care of . sat i watch a big debriement of the chest cavity . a man had heart surgery in sept . yucky case ! had to scoop out all the infectious glob . see ya later . linda

john h on 11/06/01 at 08:05 (064215)

Paula: the closest I came to being a Hippy was owning two Vokwagen Bugs and visiting Height Ashbury.

john h on 11/06/01 at 08:07 (064216)

paula: they use the same greeting in Thailand and use the phrase 'sawadee' when greeting someone. Also interesting is that men frequently hold hands while walking down the street and they are not gay.

John h on 11/06/01 at 08:09 (064217)

Linda: What type of nursing do you do? surgery,what?

Julie on 11/06/01 at 08:28 (064218)

Namaste is a hand mudra. A mudra is a gesture which has a symbolic meaning and a spiritual significance, not confined to India. When two people greet each other with 'Namaste', each acknowledges and salutes the Divine within the other, and within him or her self. If it is done with good intention, and not perfunctorily, it is both powerful and humbling (it subdues the ego). It is also calming to the nervous system.

paul on 11/06/01 at 09:02 (064219)

let's see. begin slowly. start with these simple exercises. arise for the day four hours later than usual. decide pleasure and peace are important for yourself and all living things. plan the rest of your day around this principle. eat some soy protein. whew. i'm exhausted. that's enough for today. the beauty of being a hippy is that underachievement can be couched in lofty terms. too lazy to go anywere? then you are not going to contribute to car pollution. don't want to work? then you will not participate in the capitalist system. actually i am sarcastic but still a hippy and in actuality believe all the stuff i did when i was young, or all i can remember anyway. 'if you can remember the sixties you really weren't participating fully'

paula on 11/06/01 at 09:03 (064220)

oh no, the anabolic steroids have turned me into paul.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/06/01 at 09:46 (064225)

I was born in 1968.....do I qualify as a hippie???
Richard

Barbara TX on 11/06/01 at 11:42 (064232)

Namaste to you, Julie. You are back! What has been going on with you across the pond lately? B.

Barbara TX on 11/06/01 at 11:51 (064233)

Boy, I am behind the learning curve here. Wore a suit and banker's glasses to college and carried a briefcase - queen of the capitalist geeks. I remember starting my 'portfolio' sophomore year of high school and wanting to date another nerd in my physics class because he looked suitably uptight and had earning potential. I thought that anyone who did not shave their legs had to have been raised by wolves.

I think that I learned to hippie up when I had babies with the nursing organic food, and baby sling.

But you see where bare feet ultimately gets you :(

Barbara TX on 11/06/01 at 11:53 (064234)

Richard, you are 33! I always thought that you were much older than me (because you are so wise, I am sure). B.

john h on 11/06/01 at 13:54 (064244)

barb: what does scott think about your nerd friends and geeks in school? do you stay in touch with them? does scott, who attended The Academy, ever wonder about your nerd friends and why you chose him over them. I personally ran with a bunch of jackals in school and sort of was one of them. I never dated a girl who carried a brief case! I do not even remember a girl carrying a brief case. Some of the girls I dated hitch hiked to school.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/06/01 at 15:51 (064249)

Wow...if you told that to my wife...she would die laughing. Since we have a new baby...please don't tell her how wise you think I am. LOL!!!!
Richard

linda a on 11/06/01 at 17:20 (064255)

i am anesthesia tech ( $ 11 ) . there are two of us at audubon hospital . we take care of the gas machines ( 12 in main o.r. and 4 in day surgery )meaning cleaning co2 monitors and calibrating o2 monitors and and making sure everything is in working order , clean anesthesia blades and lf-1 difficult intubation scopes (used on difficult intubating cases and collapsing one lung to place a double lumen tube ), we also stock these Sears red anesthesia carts , which are filled w/ drugs and supplies such as 2x2's , tegaderms , i.v. fluid , angiocath , syringes ,and etc ( 250 items ) . sometimes the job is exciting and sometimes it is extremely boring . i like to work saturdays because i get to stay in the rooms and watch the cases . during the week i am too busy ( spread too thin between the 12 rooms --- always a fast turnover ) . the talk in the o.r. is always about sports ( u of l football is better than u of k , that is why we are waiting for basketball season ) . go wildcats !!! are you a razorback fan john ? were you also a hippie ( be honest ) ?

BrianG on 11/06/01 at 17:28 (064256)

This is a good one, Linda wants me to compress 10 years of my life into a couple of paragraphs, hahaaa. How about if I give you 2 lines instead. One, I thank God every day that AIDS had not arrived yet! And, I wore the same style of Birkenstock back then, that I do now, Arizona's :*) :*) I lived in Kona, Hawaii. Excellent snorkelng and volcano watching!!! Plus the main crop was coffee and po* hahahaaaa

Hey brother, anyone got a bud? :*)
BCG

PS It's about freezing at night and 40's to 50's during the day. Still pretty nice.

linda a on 11/06/01 at 17:34 (064257)

i have something embarassing to say . my father the police officer bought my siblings and myself tickets to see the rolling stones last concert . i ask father who they were . our tickets were 6 rows back . it was the best gift father ever gave me . you see my birthday was always skipped , because it was in january and it always snowed heavily and nobody could go anywhere . he also bought us tickets to see the grateful dead . well that was another group we did not know ( i was in my 20's ) and we dressed in plaid shorts . i got high from the smoke in the air . tex barb would have loved the scenery , the female groupies did not shave their arm pits or their legs . so were we smelling the pot or the body odor ?

john h on 11/06/01 at 18:17 (064260)

you bet i am a Razorback fan Linda. How about our 7 overtimes victory over Ole Miss. What a game. I know you Kentucy fans are more into your basketball but i am familiar with your 300lb QB. Our basketball team should be good this year but not as good as yours. We just had one of the top highschool basketball players in the nation committ to Arkansas yesterday. My daughter is a Radiolog Tech at a very large hospital in Little Rock. She has been there for 20 years and really enjoys her work. I have a couple of doctor friends who are anesthesiaologist. seems they are always getting sued.

john h on 11/06/01 at 18:21 (064261)

Linda: I cannot believe you did not know who the Rolling Stones or Grateful Dead are! I bet you know who Dolly Parton and Johnny Cash are! You cannot be to far from Dolly Land. And you guys in Kentucky call us hillbillys here in Arkansas the home of Lum and Abner and the Jot Em Down Store.

Barbara TX on 11/06/01 at 20:21 (064269)

My first concert was sort of mistake. Guy I knew was playing for a band, The Violent Femmes. I had no clue what kind of music. I went after school by bus to 1st Ave. (Prince's Club) in Minneapolis, and went backstage to sit around, replete in my Catholic School uniform and saddle shoes. Totally clueless. That was my first and last concert. Wild. My mom and dad were on the lawn doing yard work when this smoky van pulled up and I tumbled out in a cloud with my preppie pink sweater on. They asked who dropped me off, and I had to say the VIOLENT FEMMES. It was so weird that they didn't even ask one question about it. Not one. I just went straight up to my room and started working on my Latin homework. Geek stress response.

Totally, totally clueless! B.

Nancy N on 11/06/01 at 21:23 (064278)

I had to admit to a friend of mine on Sunday that I had never been to a concert that was not at my hometown fair. The Go-Gos in 8th grade, then the Fixx when I was in 10th, and Gloria Estefan in either 11th or 12th. But that's it. Desperately wanted to see Duran Duran when I was in middle school, but since it was out of town, it was a no-go.

Boy, did I feel overprotected when I admitted that!

And Barb, the image of you tumbling out of a Violent Femmes van is just too funny!

Necee on 11/06/01 at 23:57 (064288)

I understand that some disabilities can't been seen, but my point is...and this is just my opinion, when a person is able to walk from their house to their car without any trouble then I don't see how they can justify taking up a handicap space.

I have seen it happen so many times......these cars jockying into position in the parking lot, and when they can't find suitable parking then they whip right into a handicap space. The occupants get out without any trouble whatsoever and literally dash into the store. Women wearing high heels even! I'm sorry but that just burns me up! I'd bet the farm that the women who post here couldn't wear high heels even if they wanted to. To take up a parking space that is meant to be used by the disabled in my view shows a complete and disgusting lack of respect for fellowman.
If a person has trouble walking, then it would be noticable wouldn't you think. All of us here who experience foot pain walk either with a limp or use some sort of walking aide. And if thats NOT your situation then please...please don't use those spaces.
Most of us even when we are in pain don't park in those spots because we have compassion in our hearts for those who truly need them.

What I'm trying to say is, I just have a problem with those that continue to abuse the system and never blink an eye. And like I said once before, heaven forbid if they should ever really need those spaces.

Happy Trails,
Necee

Re: john ------ we need help w/ the football program maybe you could show us a few good plays

linda a on 11/07/01 at 05:53 (064289)

i used to attend the football games ; didn't care if we lost ( it just fun ) . those lexington troppers would stand under the bleachers and watch for fallen whiskey btles , then they would march up dragging people down ( no drinking allowed ) . see ya later john . linda

Julie on 11/07/01 at 06:34 (064290)

Namaste, Barb.

Well, I went to Crete, exhausted after September 11 and a complete basket case after an 8-hour flight delay; and came back again, refreshed and ready for two months' concentrated effort: apart from my regular classes I've had workshops to give every weekend from mid-October to the end of November. All enjoyable and rewarding. The long drives to here there and everywhere are tiring, but quickly forgotten. Not much news apart from that. Oh yes - I took the train to Brighton last Friday morning - I had to go to a meeting there, but it was at 4, so I spent a whole beautiful clear sunny afternoon on the beach, gazing at the sparkly sea. I rang Klaus on my mobile and held it so he could hear the sea, and said 'it's a lot cheaper than going to Crete'.

I do envy Nancy, going to live by the sea!

What about you? I know you've had a painful time of it lately: I'm sorry about that, and I hope things will improve very soon.

Take care

Julie

Re: Correction: HE said it was cheaper than going to Crete

Julie on 11/07/01 at 06:35 (064291)

I would never say such a thing.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/07/01 at 08:57 (064296)

If I did not think every one would laugh their a** off...I would submit a picture. My first concert was Sha-Na-Na believe it or not. I was about 10 years old. My mom told me to go to the stage...I got a cool picture of Bowzer flexing his 'muscle'.

Who are the Grateful Dead?? LOL Just kidding. I was in to 80's stuff, but not like Nancy N. I was more into the heavy metal. I played in a metal band, had the hair and everything. THAT PICTURE WILL NOT BE POSTED.

Love the Violent Femmes ordeal...how funny!!!!

Richard

Barbara TX on 11/07/01 at 09:58 (064299)

The guy who played saxaphone for the Femmes when they were in Mpls. also took me to my senior prom. He is a dead ringer for Dick Cheney, thus the attraction.

POST THE PICTURE!!!! You would give us endless pleasure! B.

Barbara TX on 11/07/01 at 10:00 (064301)

Yes, Julie, a hard time. Another MRI today to check for stress fractures and neuromas. I hate the tube! And I get shots with this one too (contrast dye). Miserable. But, hopefully it will tell us something.

Welcome back! B.

Barbara TX on 11/07/01 at 11:09 (064304)

Oh, John - Scott is a geek too. Remember, he went right from WP to U of Chicago, where he was fully nerdified. Peace out. B.

Barbara TX on 11/07/01 at 11:17 (064305)

Nancy - The only 80's I liked was GOGOs and Police. The only concerts I went to were symphony. I was such a crazy geek that I used to sneak into symphony concerts by myself because my parents thought I was deranged that I would go to a concert alone. I was an Edward Elgar/Gustav Mahler groupie, working hard to hide my sick secret. The rest of my family is normal working class Joe-six-packs.

I thought, why fight the man, when you can actually BE the man? B.

john h on 11/07/01 at 11:28 (064306)

Barb: you are very correct and I had forgot about scott attending the U. of Chicago which is most certainly a 'geek' school even though the atom bomb was conceived there. one of my geek buddies attended U. of Chicago and I of course lived in the suburbs but did not meet many of the geek students. I bet they all carried brief cases. Now, there was a Catholic girls college (Barrett) in Lake Forest just a few miles from my home and I will promise you they were no geek girls there.

john h on 11/07/01 at 11:30 (064307)

where were all you wild girls when I was growing up? I must have been running with the wrong crowd.

JudyS on 11/07/01 at 13:48 (064313)

We were too young to realize how much fun being 'wild' could have been for us! Besides, 60's girls were good girls (until the 70's....)

john h on 11/07/01 at 15:18 (064319)

The '60's' girls sort of scarred me with their granny dresses and beads. I did not mind their slogan 'make love (or was it peace) not war'!

linda on 11/07/01 at 15:19 (064320)

i thought everyone called us that . what was that scandal in arkansas which involved the clintons . something about real estate property . i thought you all were known as the ' city slickers ' . ha ha !!!! well john are you going to come up a teach us a few good plays on the field . billy ray cyrus and the judds are ky . when i lived out in the country i used to listen to that kind of music . now i like christian rock music . oh , i forgot to tell you i was into transdental mediatation in my college years w/ the mantra . is that hip ? nothing in the brownies though . ha ha !!!!!

john h on 11/07/01 at 15:23 (064322)

richard you wise old devil i hope you do not cross me up and like brussell sprouts! everyone is older than barb (except carmen)! barb is still engrossed on finding the meaning of life.

Nancy N on 11/07/01 at 17:29 (064336)

Wow. A Mahler groupie, there can't be many of those around... And Elgar is about as different as you cann get, in many ways. I myself was, and still am, a Vaughn Williams aficionado, when it comes to classical music. Love to hear it, love to sing it... I sang in a choir a few years ago that specialized in Russian choral music--now THAT is some amazing stuff. Wish the group still existed.

Whenever I went to concerts, it was usually classical, with my parents. Symphony this, symphony that... I got kind of bored with it unless I could take a book, since am very visual and need to be able to watch something. Not a whole lot of visual stuff going on at a symphony concert sometimes. I went this past weekend and actually, it was better than usual--watching the conductor and some of the players was interesting.

But I was also a serious child of the 80s and have the souvenirs to prove it. Duran Duran was the be-all and end-all when I was in middle school. Went through a serious infatuation with Sting, and still think he's pretty cool. I have a decent collection of 80s CDs--Oingo Boingo, Big Country, Duran Duran (of course!), Synchonicity (only Police album I actually have, all the rest are Sting), Peter Gabriel, The Fixx (the thinking girl's 80s band!), Erasure, Eurythmics, etc etc etc...

About a year ago, we got an all-80s station in Philadelphia. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I never listen to pop radio anymore, though I am still in touch enough to know who my kids at school listen to--most of the time! It's true, I've become an old lady at the ripe age of 30.

Nancy N on 11/07/01 at 17:31 (064337)

In Barb's defense, John, I am just a little younger than she is. I am still the baby no matter where I go... everyone else tells me that's a great thing, but it does get old after a while!

john h on 11/07/01 at 18:18 (064340)

Linda: as a matter of fact i do listen to billy ray and the judds. I have also spent a few nights at Opera Land in Nashville (convention) and attended the Grand Ole Opera. Where have you gone 'Grandpa Jones' and what happened to the great tv show 'Hee Haw'? I know Minnie Perle has passed on to the big farm in the sky. Buck Jones was one of my favorites and the old hound dog on the show must surely be gone. I also liked to dance the Funky Chicken or do the Swim. I can handle most anything except heavy metal and have never got inot hip hop.

john h on 11/07/01 at 18:21 (064341)

Nancy N. Bet you did not know that Sting was a school teacher before he became a musical artist. He is very intelligent as well as being a very good talent.

Barbara TX on 11/07/01 at 19:43 (064348)

I love Vaughn Williams as well - beautiful liturgical music too. Boy, you really DID love 80's! Only Russian choral music I've heard was in 'The Hunt for Red October.' Great movie. B.

Nancy N on 11/07/01 at 21:08 (064360)

Now, John, dear... when I say that I had an infatuation with Sting, we are not talking a passing interest. We are talking a full-blown, 13-year-old. life-threatening crush (it's a girl thing, but boy, you do not want to get on the wrong side of this kind of 13-year-old girl energy!). I had the cheesy mass-market paperback biography! You bet I knew that he was a teacher--an English teacher in a girls' school--I'm pretty sure he coached soccer there, too. And he got his name because he wore a black-and-yellow striped sweater that made him look like a bumble bee. His 'real' name is Gordon Sumner.

I for one consider his background as an English teacher part of the reason why he writes lyrics fit for an English Lit class.

Nancy N on 11/07/01 at 21:12 (064361)

Oh yes, the 80s were definitely my thing. There's still a box in my old closet at my parents' house full of buttons with pop stars' pictures on them (a few Duran Duran, I think, and maybe George Michael and Paul Young, too), those silly rubber-band type bracelets that Madonna made popular (and which I could swear I just saw at a Wal-Mart or Target recently!), big barrettes with even bigger bows on them... yeah, I was there!

You must must must find yourself a copy of the Rachmaninov Vespers (also--and more accurately--called the All-Night Vigil), preferably a recording by a Russian choir. All a capella, and just the most amazing textures and melodies you have ever heard. It will give you goosebumps.

joh h on 11/07/01 at 21:21 (064362)

barb: do you also like 'Vaughn Monroe'?

john h on 11/07/01 at 21:25 (064363)

nancy: it sure looks like i walked into a 'bees nest' good pun huh! you sure know your Sting a lot better than i would have gussed. I had always wondered how he got his name.

john h on 11/07/01 at 21:26 (064364)

nancy: after reading your post i will rename myself 'stung'!

Nancy N on 11/07/01 at 21:32 (064365)

John--

Part of the life-threatening crush experience is buying up every magazine/newspaper/etc that has anything to do with the object of your undying teenaged affection (ask a current 13 year-old how much stuff she has, how how many websites she knows of, for the Backstreet Boys or N'Sync!). I inhaled that stuff. It's a wonder any of us survive those teenage years!

But at least you learned something about Sting--so glad to be of service, and put my otherwise-worthless knowledge to good use!

Nancy N on 11/07/01 at 21:33 (064366)

I will have to find a yellow-and-black sweater for you, John!!

Richard, C.Ped on 11/08/01 at 08:56 (064390)

wow nancy..you were really into the 80's stuff. Dont' tell me you wore the leg warmers as well....ha ha. How about the black and white checked shoes from 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High'?
Richard

Richard, C.Ped on 11/08/01 at 09:03 (064392)

I don't like brussel sprouts either. I am not much on steak and potatoes though....only for cholesterol reasons. I like protien shakes and bars as well as chicken. Gotta keep in shape so I can scare off my daughters boyfriends. haha

The girls of the 80's and 90's were pretty wild as well. Groupies....gotta love em....
Richard

Nancy N on 11/08/01 at 12:11 (064410)

I know I owned legwarmers, at least for a little while, but I don't recall them being a big part of my life, and I don't think I even owned any after 6th grade. Didn't have the Vans, either. And, if you can believe this, I have never seen Fast Times at Ridgemont High--my family wasn't into movies, and I wasn't always allowed to go with my friends (those derned overprotective parents!). I was just thinking about it the other day when I heard the Jackson Browne song from that movie, but I am not sure that watching it now would make up for it--I might have missed the moment...

Barbara TX on 11/08/01 at 14:14 (064417)

I had leg warmers in abundance, and I regret to say that I remember the infamous line from 'Fast Times': 'Tardy? I don't feel tardy. ' I worked my little butt off babysitting in order to afford a pair of white canvas Nikes with a baby blue SWOOSH on the side. Somewhere tucked deep in my memorabilia is a blue swoosh given to me by a boy I adored in the 8th grade. He tore it off his Nikes and gave it to me. We wrote horror stories (Steven King style) and exchanged them. My heart was won with a swoosh. B.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/08/01 at 14:57 (064422)

I can't believe you have never seen 'Fast Times'. Wow. I guess it is the 80's version of 'American Pie'. If you are picky about the content of your movies, I would pass on it. Funny stuff though.

Barb Tx...I actually used the line 'I don't feel tardy' in school. My English teacher did not think it was funny. The kids did. I always wished I had the guts to order a pizza to class...that would have been fun.

Honestly...I did not own leg warmers. ha ha. I wore jeans with holes in the knees and concert t-shirts. Mostly Iron Maiden and the like.

What ever happened to Jackson Browne? What a cool singer.

Richard

Nancy N on 11/08/01 at 16:21 (064439)

Jackson Browne is still around, never fear--I have his album 'I'm Alive' and it's one of my favorites.

I might try to catch Fast Times sometime, but I just have a feeling I might be too old for it now...that it would have been something I should have seen first as a teenager. But maybe since I am teaching now, I'll still get something out of it?