Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What is causing outer heel type pain,Dr.Z?

Posted by Regina on 11/03/01 at 23:49 (064083)

HI,
I have been having for the past while quite a bit of pain in what I call the very edge of my heel and it is the outer side.The very center of my heel where I had the pf pain is not doing to badly now since I had the pf release but this outside pain is really bad at times even tho I am wrapping my foot constantly.It doesn't hurt to badly unless I walk and then the pain will be real bad -kind of sharp and deep and then whenever I press onto the edge with my thumb it is VERY sore too.Any ideas and should I have it checked otherwise before I try to purchase orthotics as I want to be very sure first that these are what I need as they are expensive I understand.Thanks much as always,Regina--also the pain seems to run up toward my little toe area.

Re: What is causing outer heel type pain,Dr.Z?

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/04/01 at 06:45 (064090)

Hi

This is from the lateal band of the plantar fascia and the tendon called the peroneal brevis. This is due to the shift in weight from the biomechanical changes that have taken place since your foot surgery. Taping and padding if helpful will show you how your foot will function and the amount of relief you will receive with orthosis treatment.

Re: What is causing outer heel type pain,Dr.Z?

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/04/01 at 06:45 (064090)

Hi

This is from the lateal band of the plantar fascia and the tendon called the peroneal brevis. This is due to the shift in weight from the biomechanical changes that have taken place since your foot surgery. Taping and padding if helpful will show you how your foot will function and the amount of relief you will receive with orthosis treatment.