Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

4 WKS PO but very overweight and discouraged.

Posted by momstv on 11/04/01 at 18:45 (064121)

I am happy to report that I am starting to walk again. Allbeit it is not easy. I have therepy 3 times per week using ultrasound. I have some very simple (yeah right) exercises to do daily. I am feeling better but the bottom of my foot under the bottom of the incision is still very numb. I know it will take a while before the feeling comes back tho.

I know I need to lose weight but don't have a clue where to begin. I have an exercise bike but don't know if I should use it yet or not. HELP.

I am 5'7' and weigh 223# so am in effect about 80# over weight. My PDM surgeon says not to worry about it but because of my weight I am afraid that I will damage the foot yet again.

I had at one time taken a prescribed diet drug but because of the anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs I take my regular DR will not give me anything else to take. Tells me to WALK!! AS if I could.

Please give me some input on what and where and how to get this weight off. Waiting for your replys.

Please don't think of me as a crybaby I really do need to get the weight off so I won't damage my foot again.

Re: 4 WKS PO but very overweight and discouraged.

Barbara TX on 11/04/01 at 21:43 (064130)

First - you are NOT a crybaby. PF makes grown men cry on a daily basis. I have taken around 35 pounds off with Atkins (low carb), and had a friend take of 70+ pounds with it also. You might want to read up on it as a fast way to lose weight. But, since you are limited by PF, your results won't be dramatic but it CAN happen. Sedentary weight loss is nearly impossible unless you control your blood sugar very carefully. Just my .02. Best of luck to you! B.

Scott R on 11/04/01 at 22:50 (064137)

The less we eat, the less we weigh. I lost 25% of my total body weight with no exercise by cutting meals in half and barely having any breakfast. Once I got used to starving, it wasn't painful at all. But I think the low-carb method is the best and the exercise method is the worst, especially if you have heel pain.

PatC on 11/05/01 at 07:44 (064148)

I had the same discussion with my dr. He said, if you can't exercise, you have one alternative. Eat less. It is hard, but I find the Weight Watchers program helpful. It isn't drastic. They emphasize portion control and making sure that you are eating a balanced diet. I know how depressing you can get, but hang in there and take it one step at a time.

Re: momstv

Carmen H on 11/06/01 at 07:57 (064211)

I think Pat C has a good recommendation.....even though I don't know anything about WEight Watchers I DO know that a LOW carb (I'm talking about almost NO carbs) diet can hurt you in the long run. I have had MANY friends who did this diet and yes they lost weight fast but when they reached their goal and went back to a normal diet without overeating they gained weight quickly and put on more than they originally weighed. Something I heard once always comes back to me....'Your body needs everything nature offers.' In other words, you NEED fat,you NEED carbs, EVERYthing in moderation is the KEY. Starving yourself is a VERY BAD idea...this TOO can make your body store fat...not knowing when you're going to feed it next it will react.
I guess it may help you to understand the way your body works and understand what it NEEDS and not just what your mind is telling it. Doesthat make sense? I also recommend drinking a LOT of water....this will help you feel full and is vital to weight loss.
I don't know if this has been helpful but I would also recommend finding a doctor that understands your concerns and SUPPORTS your need to lose weight and also understands that walking is not an option right now.
Do you have a pool nearby?

Julie on 11/07/01 at 15:54 (064327)

I agree with Carmen. A good balance, and everything in moderation, is what most bodies need. This is Weight Watchers' strength: their guidance is essentially the same as that given by most authorities for healthy eating and avoidance of major illnesses such as cancer and heart disease: lots of vegetables and fruit, moderate amounts of protein and carbohyates, and a little, not too much, fat. In other words, a balanced diet that can be sustained without harm, and can form the basis of healthy eating throughout life.

Low-carbohydrate diets are generally too high in protein, which can be dangerous.

momstv on 11/07/01 at 19:13 (064344)

Thank you for all the words of encouragement. I have been reading up on some of your suggestions. I know that I need to eat a balanced diet. I am really considering the Atkins Diet because of the diabetes and because it has fast results. I wish I had a swimming pool or knew of someone that did i would love to swim for the exercise. I have virtually no choice when it comes to Drs as we are in an PPO plan and it is extremely hard to change plus he is near here and the others are all in the big cities. Again thanks for all your inputs and don't give up on me I will try anything to walk again.

Barbara TX on 11/07/01 at 19:33 (064346)

Just my .02 on this thread. A metabolism that is not balanced in the first place will not do well on a balanced diet. Carbohydrate addiction and blood sugar problems are very real metabolic diseases (like diabetes). Low carb diets have gotten a bad rep from traditional medicine, but more and more research shows great positive benefits among those with blood sugar regulation problems and high colesterol. Luckily, there is a wealth of info on the internet about them. Good luck! B.

Barbara TX on 11/04/01 at 21:43 (064130)

First - you are NOT a crybaby. PF makes grown men cry on a daily basis. I have taken around 35 pounds off with Atkins (low carb), and had a friend take of 70+ pounds with it also. You might want to read up on it as a fast way to lose weight. But, since you are limited by PF, your results won't be dramatic but it CAN happen. Sedentary weight loss is nearly impossible unless you control your blood sugar very carefully. Just my .02. Best of luck to you! B.

Scott R on 11/04/01 at 22:50 (064137)

The less we eat, the less we weigh. I lost 25% of my total body weight with no exercise by cutting meals in half and barely having any breakfast. Once I got used to starving, it wasn't painful at all. But I think the low-carb method is the best and the exercise method is the worst, especially if you have heel pain.

PatC on 11/05/01 at 07:44 (064148)

I had the same discussion with my dr. He said, if you can't exercise, you have one alternative. Eat less. It is hard, but I find the Weight Watchers program helpful. It isn't drastic. They emphasize portion control and making sure that you are eating a balanced diet. I know how depressing you can get, but hang in there and take it one step at a time.

Carmen H on 11/06/01 at 07:57 (064211)

I think Pat C has a good recommendation.....even though I don't know anything about WEight Watchers I DO know that a LOW carb (I'm talking about almost NO carbs) diet can hurt you in the long run. I have had MANY friends who did this diet and yes they lost weight fast but when they reached their goal and went back to a normal diet without overeating they gained weight quickly and put on more than they originally weighed. Something I heard once always comes back to me....'Your body needs everything nature offers.' In other words, you NEED fat,you NEED carbs, EVERYthing in moderation is the KEY. Starving yourself is a VERY BAD idea...this TOO can make your body store fat...not knowing when you're going to feed it next it will react.
I guess it may help you to understand the way your body works and understand what it NEEDS and not just what your mind is telling it. Doesthat make sense? I also recommend drinking a LOT of water....this will help you feel full and is vital to weight loss.
I don't know if this has been helpful but I would also recommend finding a doctor that understands your concerns and SUPPORTS your need to lose weight and also understands that walking is not an option right now.
Do you have a pool nearby?

Julie on 11/07/01 at 15:54 (064327)

I agree with Carmen. A good balance, and everything in moderation, is what most bodies need. This is Weight Watchers' strength: their guidance is essentially the same as that given by most authorities for healthy eating and avoidance of major illnesses such as cancer and heart disease: lots of vegetables and fruit, moderate amounts of protein and carbohyates, and a little, not too much, fat. In other words, a balanced diet that can be sustained without harm, and can form the basis of healthy eating throughout life.

Low-carbohydrate diets are generally too high in protein, which can be dangerous.

momstv on 11/07/01 at 19:13 (064344)

Thank you for all the words of encouragement. I have been reading up on some of your suggestions. I know that I need to eat a balanced diet. I am really considering the Atkins Diet because of the diabetes and because it has fast results. I wish I had a swimming pool or knew of someone that did i would love to swim for the exercise. I have virtually no choice when it comes to Drs as we are in an PPO plan and it is extremely hard to change plus he is near here and the others are all in the big cities. Again thanks for all your inputs and don't give up on me I will try anything to walk again.

Barbara TX on 11/07/01 at 19:33 (064346)

Just my .02 on this thread. A metabolism that is not balanced in the first place will not do well on a balanced diet. Carbohydrate addiction and blood sugar problems are very real metabolic diseases (like diabetes). Low carb diets have gotten a bad rep from traditional medicine, but more and more research shows great positive benefits among those with blood sugar regulation problems and high colesterol. Luckily, there is a wealth of info on the internet about them. Good luck! B.