Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel spurs

Posted by jean00758 on 11/04/01 at 21:23 (064127)

I would like to know how I can relieve the pain I feel with my heel spurs.I was able to meet with my doctor and she suggested that I get a cortizone shot on my heel to relieve the pain. I know this procedure is not done anymore by a lot of doctors and I am afraid of the pain that this will initially be experienced when the shot is delivered. What do you suggest I do? I am in real pain to the extent that the pain wakes me up from a deep sleep.

Re: heel spurs

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/04/01 at 21:32 (064128)

The indication for a local steriod injection is for acute pain and swellling. Your doctor can use a local anesthetic and some steriod medications. Not all steriod injections are painful. Local steriod injections can be very helpful along with taping, physical therapy,
nsaid, orthosis, stretching. I have no problem giving a local steriod injection with very little pain.. Just make sure there is going to be a local anesthetic used. If you are seeing a podiatrist there is going to be a local anesthetic used. Make sure you are seeing a podiatrist and not your family doctor for this injection. Good luck, you will do fine !!

Re: heel spurs

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/04/01 at 21:32 (064128)

The indication for a local steriod injection is for acute pain and swellling. Your doctor can use a local anesthetic and some steriod medications. Not all steriod injections are painful. Local steriod injections can be very helpful along with taping, physical therapy,
nsaid, orthosis, stretching. I have no problem giving a local steriod injection with very little pain.. Just make sure there is going to be a local anesthetic used. If you are seeing a podiatrist there is going to be a local anesthetic used. Make sure you are seeing a podiatrist and not your family doctor for this injection. Good luck, you will do fine !!