Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post surgery swelling

Posted by Melissa M on 11/05/01 at 16:30 (064173)

I had a heel spur removed 2 months ago. 3 weeks after the surgery my foot started to swell. The dr said it was from and absessed internal stitch. He put me on antibiotics. I am not into the 8th week after surgery. My footand ankle are extremely swollen. But it is not swollen in the surgery area. My ankle and foot are swollen on the outside of my foot. I am going through physical therapy. The therapist is worried about the swelling. The Dr says it is water retention. I am looking to see if anyone knows anything that could help me out. Please leave a message here or e-mail me at MrsMM24@aol.com

Re: Post surgery swelling

Lisa C on 11/05/01 at 18:48 (064179)

To avoid extra water retention avoid salty foods like cheese, chips, lunchmeat, pickles, and any sauces like BBQ, soy sauce, ketchup, all frozen pre-packaged & canned foods & probably all fast food. Vitimain B6 acts like a diruretic as does vitimin C. (just take the recommended dose of B6 or you could end up with other probs) Foods like apples & watermelon & cucumbers are natural diruetics. An article posted earlier said lemon juice was too. Coffee & tea are diruretics but its better to just drink plenty of water!!! Good luck!

john h on 11/11/01 at 21:58 (064706)

melissa: i would also be concerned and get another opinion. having said that after my PF surgery and great toe surgery some 3 years ago I had swelling on the opposite side of the foot. It occured immedeately after surgery and lasted for perhaps 3 weeks. i did keep it elevated and iced. i think my swelling was from blood that had pooled on the oposited side of the foot due to the way they positioned my foot during surgery. if you had a simple PF release i would not expect much blood loss however. one of the docs might address swelling after surgery. you are talking pf surgery i assume. was it open or through a scope? i would be for seeing a doctor and soon.

Lisa C on 11/05/01 at 18:48 (064179)

To avoid extra water retention avoid salty foods like cheese, chips, lunchmeat, pickles, and any sauces like BBQ, soy sauce, ketchup, all frozen pre-packaged & canned foods & probably all fast food. Vitimain B6 acts like a diruretic as does vitimin C. (just take the recommended dose of B6 or you could end up with other probs) Foods like apples & watermelon & cucumbers are natural diruetics. An article posted earlier said lemon juice was too. Coffee & tea are diruretics but its better to just drink plenty of water!!! Good luck!

john h on 11/11/01 at 21:58 (064706)

melissa: i would also be concerned and get another opinion. having said that after my PF surgery and great toe surgery some 3 years ago I had swelling on the opposite side of the foot. It occured immedeately after surgery and lasted for perhaps 3 weeks. i did keep it elevated and iced. i think my swelling was from blood that had pooled on the oposited side of the foot due to the way they positioned my foot during surgery. if you had a simple PF release i would not expect much blood loss however. one of the docs might address swelling after surgery. you are talking pf surgery i assume. was it open or through a scope? i would be for seeing a doctor and soon.