Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Thank you

Posted by YokoS on 11/06/01 at 13:13 (064241)

I think this is the time to post my 'recovery story'.
I have finished NYC Marathon on 11/4/01 at 5hours 22minutes.

I am 48years old, 20 lbs overweight with no basic exercise background woman. Since doctor recommended me to do exercise, and good friend of mine was a long distance runner, I started to jog with her in 1995.
Within a year, my cholesterol level downed from 290 to 190, and as a result
I become a casual runner (10-15miles@week) .

After '98 NYC Marathon (Nov), I felt pain on my left heel at the first step from bed as if I had stepped on something sharp.
First several weeks, pain was disappearing while brushing teeth, but
pains become serious until May, moreover, by summer of 1999, I even couldn't walk. I ate Advils.

Words from podiatrist such as PF, heel spur, ortho, cortisone shot, PT and etc were all words not listed in my dictionary, I had surfed everyday and
found this website. I was shocked and glad many people shared same troubles here.

Thank you very much Scott, your HP game me big knowledge and great help.
All treatments on this board you name it, I tried.
After I saw pictures of JohnH's foot, I was thinking about having operation. When everybody talked about ESWT in Toronto, I really wanted to go. But, since I was having a frozen shoulder at the same time, I simply couldn't have another disabled situation of myself.

14 months, I didn't run, took (still taking)Bromelin/Glucosamine, went PT
periodically, went acupuncture once a week for 4 months, gave up all shoes
but soft Ecco shoes w/custom made ortho, and Birkenstock around the house.
I made a one inch hole in middle of (kitchen)sponge, and taped on my left heel, then took shower.
I still don't know what were worked, but severe pains were getting smaller and smaller day by day, like peeling a thinner skin after sunburn.

In July of 2000, I had found Jeff Galloway's (US Olympic Marathoner)
injury free running training team through website, and I joined.
His method uses running/walking intervals. After 5minutes run, we walk
1 minute and continue on according to same intervals.
I taped my left foot and started from 3 miles. As soon as I got home, I iced my foot until foot become frozen cold. Finally, April' 01, w/Galloway's method, tape, ice I restarted long run training (over 13miles).

On 11/4, at mile 25 to goal was pure torture. Heel was seriously getting pain, and it reminded me whole bunch of bitter moments as I had gone through. After 2days of icing, so far I am fine, and dicided to post
this message with great appreciation.

I am one of the luckiest person in this board.
JohnH, thank you very much for your support and friendship.

Yoko Sakai in NYC.

Re: Thank you

john h on 11/06/01 at 14:59 (064247)

Yoko: You are the Woman!

BrianG on 11/06/01 at 16:58 (064252)

Ho Yoko,

I just don't see how anyone that ever had PF could get up the nerve to run a marathon. I'm glad you made it OK this year. I take it you had to walk a little of the course? Could you feel the bridge swaying as you went over it? I'm glad you are a NYC survivor!

BCG

JudyS on 11/06/01 at 16:58 (064253)

Yoko, you have made us all proud! Thank you for your inspiring story and for giving us hope!
I hope you'll be able to take the same grit and determination in to the immediate future as you, and your fellow New Yorkers, work to recover from the tragedies of Sept. 11.

john h on 11/06/01 at 14:59 (064247)

Yoko: You are the Woman!

BrianG on 11/06/01 at 16:58 (064252)

Ho Yoko,

I just don't see how anyone that ever had PF could get up the nerve to run a marathon. I'm glad you made it OK this year. I take it you had to walk a little of the course? Could you feel the bridge swaying as you went over it? I'm glad you are a NYC survivor!

BCG

JudyS on 11/06/01 at 16:58 (064253)

Yoko, you have made us all proud! Thank you for your inspiring story and for giving us hope!
I hope you'll be able to take the same grit and determination in to the immediate future as you, and your fellow New Yorkers, work to recover from the tragedies of Sept. 11.