Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Brussels Sprouts

Posted by Diane R on 11/06/01 at 18:28 (064264)

Well, I tried it. I had brussels sprouts last night and my feet feel the same today. This is not too much of a hardship for me as I actually like them. While this is not a scientific test it is one person's one time experience for what it's worth.

Actually, my feet are much improved since I started constantly wearing Birkenstock about 3 weeks ago. I've gone from an average pain of 4 or 5 to an average pain of 1 or 2. I still have bad days when it spikes to 3 or 4 but nothing like the 8-10 of a month ago.

Re: Brussels Sprouts

pam on 11/06/01 at 20:21 (064270)

I am sorry - thank you for trying it. I haven't had any in days, and unless I eat them almost everyday, I get a lot of pain.
Thank you again for listening and trying.

Pam

JoAnn Fl on 11/06/01 at 22:06 (064282)

I tried them last night also....YUCK! No change here either

pam on 11/07/01 at 12:06 (064308)

Too Bad. I love brussel sprouts, and when I try them it is in the day at lunch and that evening I notice a big differene. Maybe you didn't eat enough. I have a cereal bowl full with butter and salt. YUM! Oh well, to each his own, I guess. Thanks for at least trying it.
pam

john h on 11/07/01 at 15:14 (064318)

brussel sprouts-----yuk-----show me a man who likes brussel sprouts and i will show you a sissy man! Is there anything besides steak and potatoes that real men eat? We have 4 shelves in our frig. 2 for sissy food and 2 for 'real man' food.

Julie on 11/07/01 at 15:47 (064326)

My husband likes sprouts, John. We've just had some for supper. He likes quiche, too, but then all real men do, or didn't you know that?

Pam on 11/07/01 at 17:22 (064334)

I don't know, if someone told me drinking pee might help with my pain, I might try it, because I am REALLY in pain. I guess if you are not willing to try this, you are pretty closed minded, and kind of a baby.

john h on 11/07/01 at 18:07 (064339)

quiche!!! i just knew you would like quiche Julie. Mary likes quiche also and fixes it a lot. she of course, knows my feeling about quiche and i proceed to real man food when she prepares quiche. maybe a big cheeseburger.

Barbara TX on 11/07/01 at 19:27 (064345)

I am rolling on the floor. Seems to me that if you highly suspect ingesting your own waste products you are on the right track. Can we at least agree that somethings are just to silly to try? B.

Re: Quiche - and urine therapy

Julie on 11/08/01 at 06:11 (064378)

John, please monitor your intake of saturated fats! All those big cheeseburgers...when you could be enjoying Mary's lovely quiche...

Barb, Google list 174,000 websites on urine therapy. Check out

http://www.healthlibrary.com/reading/yod/april/urine.htm

for starters. I've not tried it myself, but it may not be as silly as it sounds.

BrianG on 11/08/01 at 08:36 (064386)

Back in another lifetime I used to live in Hawaii. Occasionally I would hunt goats, high on the sides of the volcano. This was above the tree line, where it very rarely ever rained, and there was no everyday supply of water. Yet the goats survived, guess how? Yep! Goat meat was too strong to eat straight up, I had to marinate all of it. That is where I came up the The Big Kahuna's Secret Teriyaki Marinade, yum !!

John, does this qualify me as a manley man, or a sicko :*)

BCG

Barbara TX on 11/08/01 at 11:58 (064407)

OH MY LORD this is really real? I can hardly believe it. I thought (seriously) that this was a joke. I really did. My apologies to all who legitimately drink their urine.

Bottoms up! B.

pam on 11/08/01 at 13:39 (064415)

Barbara,
When I said I'd drink my pee, if it would help with the pain, I was only kidding. Never heard of anyone doing for real.

Pam

john h on 11/08/01 at 13:53 (064416)

brian: i have been up on the volcano on the Big Island a couple of times. were you on the big island? i sure did not see any goats only a lot of black sand. i was living at the Kona Village. have you ever been there? if you were eating goats on the side of a volcano you certainly qualify as a manly man. no brussel sprouts for you bro.

john h on 11/09/01 at 09:09 (064487)

julie: the last time i checked a few month ago my total cholesterol was 161. Triglcirides were around 100. Does not quiche have eggse in it?

Re: Kona, home of the BEST sunsets on earth :*)

BrianG on 11/09/01 at 10:22 (064497)

Hi John,

The volcano was a smaller one, just above Kailua-Kona on the Big Island. Yes, I know exactly where the Kona Village is, and I too have been to the top of Mauna Kea, the largest mountain on earth !!! Thats right 13,000' above sea level, 26,000' feet below sea level. When were you there? I was there in the 70's, living in a coffee shack above the City of Refuge. I just thank god I was able to have my 'retirement' early, before my PF. I would never enjoy it now :*(

BCG

Barbara TX on 11/09/01 at 11:07 (064507)

Here's a puzzle for you: On Atkins I eat primarily fats and animal protein, and only about 20-40 grams of carbs a day (if I am good). I eat eggs every day in some form.

My cholesterol is 119.

Que? B.

john h on 11/09/01 at 12:04 (064514)

brian i was there in 69 and then again around 78. i think many people would be supprised at what the big island looks like. I had a picnic on the side of a mountain and could have been in wyoming except i could see the beautiful ocean. very open where the lava has run to the sea. I stayed at the Mona Kea one time. what a place that was. a couple of my close friends moved back there after they retired from military as they were fortunate enough to have been stationed there and kept their homes. how did you happen to settle in Hawaii and how could you afford it? It was not the time of the year for the big waves which i wanted to experience. I am not a surf board dude but would have given it a go. I bet California Judy is a surfboard dudess!

john h on 11/09/01 at 12:27 (064519)

Barb: 119????? i do not know that i have ever met anyone with that low a cholesterol. your artires must be like teflon. do you drink a lot of booze?

nancy s. on 11/09/01 at 13:21 (064523)

like barb, i ate low-carb for a long time (almost a year) and my cholesterol dropped to 151 from about 225. except for pf, ptt, and at, i never felt better physically in my life.
i'm about to go back to that way of eating. didn't hurt at all, no hunger, felt very healthy, and lost 30 pounds.

Barbara TX on 11/09/01 at 18:16 (064538)

I finally had time to check out the urine therapy link, now that I have become officially unhinged. Here is my favorite line:

'Urine therapy is good not only for making you beautiful and rejuvenating you, but it affects your personality too. It makes you cheerful. Many of you may wonder whether there is really such a wonderful thing in this world. Well as the proverb goes, 'Seeing is believing.' Drink it and find out for yourself.' B.

Re: Nancy

Barbara TX on 11/09/01 at 18:34 (064541)

Wow! That is inspiring. A huge cholesterol drop. You really cannot equate eating fat with the fat that builds up in your arteries. But, people can't believe that low carb eating can do this. Too contrary to current medical orthodoxies. However, doctors who treat patients with glycemic disorders like diabetes are catching on. The only different way that I feel is that I don't ever get sleepy during the day. B.

john h on 11/09/01 at 18:46 (064546)

barb: if you are into this thearpy then no welcome kisses for you babe the next time we meet. what does scott think of this thearpy?

Barbara TX on 11/10/01 at 10:36 (064602)

I haven't even told him - he wouldn't believe me. I have a hard time with the general principle behind it, that you would purposefully put back in what the body worked to get OUT.

And if UT would deprive me of any affection heading in my direction, that is the greatest black mark against it!

Would you believe this conversation???????? B.

JudyS on 11/10/01 at 10:50 (064607)

I am NOT a surfboard dudette - I figured out very early that the ocean is much stronger than me :)
But I HAVE jogged across the top of the big volcano on Kona. And stayed at the Mona Kea too.
The top of that volcano was still warm from an eruption that had occured several months prior.

BrianG on 11/10/01 at 17:59 (064628)

I couldn't afford to live there, thats why I was living in a coffee shack. The big deal for the day was, how am I getting to the ocean today? I lived about 2-3 miles up on the side of the volcano. Of course it was always a combination of hitch hiking, and walking. I was pretty much listening to my good buddy back then 'Turn on, tune in, drop out' or something like that. Thank you Timothy Leary. Ken Keasy just died. He wrote 'The electric kool aid acid test' and 'One flew over the coo-coo's nest'. But the BIG DEAL was Jerry Garcia and the Dead, yeehaaaa!!! They are all gone now. Some say Jane Fonda sold out to the Cong, but I don't know, wasn't there. I think she was like a modern day Jessie Jackson. OK, I'm rambling now, maybe a flashback too (not in this decade) :*)

Spare change anyone?
BCG

john h on 11/10/01 at 18:11 (064629)

judy: i thought i saw you out by the pool at the Mona Kea. I did not jog any on that trip. You sort of look like a surboard dudette and look like you could hang ten with the best of them.

JudyS on 11/11/01 at 10:35 (064667)

John dear, the only 'ten' I hang are my ten toes off the end of the bed while sleeping on my tummy at night!

pam on 11/06/01 at 20:21 (064270)

I am sorry - thank you for trying it. I haven't had any in days, and unless I eat them almost everyday, I get a lot of pain.
Thank you again for listening and trying.

Pam

JoAnn Fl on 11/06/01 at 22:06 (064282)

I tried them last night also....YUCK! No change here either

pam on 11/07/01 at 12:06 (064308)

Too Bad. I love brussel sprouts, and when I try them it is in the day at lunch and that evening I notice a big differene. Maybe you didn't eat enough. I have a cereal bowl full with butter and salt. YUM! Oh well, to each his own, I guess. Thanks for at least trying it.
pam

john h on 11/07/01 at 15:14 (064318)

brussel sprouts-----yuk-----show me a man who likes brussel sprouts and i will show you a sissy man! Is there anything besides steak and potatoes that real men eat? We have 4 shelves in our frig. 2 for sissy food and 2 for 'real man' food.

Julie on 11/07/01 at 15:47 (064326)

My husband likes sprouts, John. We've just had some for supper. He likes quiche, too, but then all real men do, or didn't you know that?

Pam on 11/07/01 at 17:22 (064334)

I don't know, if someone told me drinking pee might help with my pain, I might try it, because I am REALLY in pain. I guess if you are not willing to try this, you are pretty closed minded, and kind of a baby.

john h on 11/07/01 at 18:07 (064339)

quiche!!! i just knew you would like quiche Julie. Mary likes quiche also and fixes it a lot. she of course, knows my feeling about quiche and i proceed to real man food when she prepares quiche. maybe a big cheeseburger.

Barbara TX on 11/07/01 at 19:27 (064345)

I am rolling on the floor. Seems to me that if you highly suspect ingesting your own waste products you are on the right track. Can we at least agree that somethings are just to silly to try? B.

Julie on 11/08/01 at 06:11 (064378)

John, please monitor your intake of saturated fats! All those big cheeseburgers...when you could be enjoying Mary's lovely quiche...

Barb, Google list 174,000 websites on urine therapy. Check out

http://www.healthlibrary.com/reading/yod/april/urine.htm

for starters. I've not tried it myself, but it may not be as silly as it sounds.

BrianG on 11/08/01 at 08:36 (064386)

Back in another lifetime I used to live in Hawaii. Occasionally I would hunt goats, high on the sides of the volcano. This was above the tree line, where it very rarely ever rained, and there was no everyday supply of water. Yet the goats survived, guess how? Yep! Goat meat was too strong to eat straight up, I had to marinate all of it. That is where I came up the The Big Kahuna's Secret Teriyaki Marinade, yum !!

John, does this qualify me as a manley man, or a sicko :*)

BCG

Barbara TX on 11/08/01 at 11:58 (064407)

OH MY LORD this is really real? I can hardly believe it. I thought (seriously) that this was a joke. I really did. My apologies to all who legitimately drink their urine.

Bottoms up! B.

pam on 11/08/01 at 13:39 (064415)

Barbara,
When I said I'd drink my pee, if it would help with the pain, I was only kidding. Never heard of anyone doing for real.

Pam

john h on 11/08/01 at 13:53 (064416)

brian: i have been up on the volcano on the Big Island a couple of times. were you on the big island? i sure did not see any goats only a lot of black sand. i was living at the Kona Village. have you ever been there? if you were eating goats on the side of a volcano you certainly qualify as a manly man. no brussel sprouts for you bro.

john h on 11/09/01 at 09:09 (064487)

julie: the last time i checked a few month ago my total cholesterol was 161. Triglcirides were around 100. Does not quiche have eggse in it?

BrianG on 11/09/01 at 10:22 (064497)

Hi John,

The volcano was a smaller one, just above Kailua-Kona on the Big Island. Yes, I know exactly where the Kona Village is, and I too have been to the top of Mauna Kea, the largest mountain on earth !!! Thats right 13,000' above sea level, 26,000' feet below sea level. When were you there? I was there in the 70's, living in a coffee shack above the City of Refuge. I just thank god I was able to have my 'retirement' early, before my PF. I would never enjoy it now :*(

BCG

Barbara TX on 11/09/01 at 11:07 (064507)

Here's a puzzle for you: On Atkins I eat primarily fats and animal protein, and only about 20-40 grams of carbs a day (if I am good). I eat eggs every day in some form.

My cholesterol is 119.

Que? B.

john h on 11/09/01 at 12:04 (064514)

brian i was there in 69 and then again around 78. i think many people would be supprised at what the big island looks like. I had a picnic on the side of a mountain and could have been in wyoming except i could see the beautiful ocean. very open where the lava has run to the sea. I stayed at the Mona Kea one time. what a place that was. a couple of my close friends moved back there after they retired from military as they were fortunate enough to have been stationed there and kept their homes. how did you happen to settle in Hawaii and how could you afford it? It was not the time of the year for the big waves which i wanted to experience. I am not a surf board dude but would have given it a go. I bet California Judy is a surfboard dudess!

john h on 11/09/01 at 12:27 (064519)

Barb: 119????? i do not know that i have ever met anyone with that low a cholesterol. your artires must be like teflon. do you drink a lot of booze?

nancy s. on 11/09/01 at 13:21 (064523)

like barb, i ate low-carb for a long time (almost a year) and my cholesterol dropped to 151 from about 225. except for pf, ptt, and at, i never felt better physically in my life.
i'm about to go back to that way of eating. didn't hurt at all, no hunger, felt very healthy, and lost 30 pounds.

Barbara TX on 11/09/01 at 18:16 (064538)

I finally had time to check out the urine therapy link, now that I have become officially unhinged. Here is my favorite line:

'Urine therapy is good not only for making you beautiful and rejuvenating you, but it affects your personality too. It makes you cheerful. Many of you may wonder whether there is really such a wonderful thing in this world. Well as the proverb goes, 'Seeing is believing.' Drink it and find out for yourself.' B.

Re: Nancy

Barbara TX on 11/09/01 at 18:34 (064541)

Wow! That is inspiring. A huge cholesterol drop. You really cannot equate eating fat with the fat that builds up in your arteries. But, people can't believe that low carb eating can do this. Too contrary to current medical orthodoxies. However, doctors who treat patients with glycemic disorders like diabetes are catching on. The only different way that I feel is that I don't ever get sleepy during the day. B.

john h on 11/09/01 at 18:46 (064546)

barb: if you are into this thearpy then no welcome kisses for you babe the next time we meet. what does scott think of this thearpy?

Barbara TX on 11/10/01 at 10:36 (064602)

I haven't even told him - he wouldn't believe me. I have a hard time with the general principle behind it, that you would purposefully put back in what the body worked to get OUT.

And if UT would deprive me of any affection heading in my direction, that is the greatest black mark against it!

Would you believe this conversation???????? B.

JudyS on 11/10/01 at 10:50 (064607)

I am NOT a surfboard dudette - I figured out very early that the ocean is much stronger than me :)
But I HAVE jogged across the top of the big volcano on Kona. And stayed at the Mona Kea too.
The top of that volcano was still warm from an eruption that had occured several months prior.

BrianG on 11/10/01 at 17:59 (064628)

I couldn't afford to live there, thats why I was living in a coffee shack. The big deal for the day was, how am I getting to the ocean today? I lived about 2-3 miles up on the side of the volcano. Of course it was always a combination of hitch hiking, and walking. I was pretty much listening to my good buddy back then 'Turn on, tune in, drop out' or something like that. Thank you Timothy Leary. Ken Keasy just died. He wrote 'The electric kool aid acid test' and 'One flew over the coo-coo's nest'. But the BIG DEAL was Jerry Garcia and the Dead, yeehaaaa!!! They are all gone now. Some say Jane Fonda sold out to the Cong, but I don't know, wasn't there. I think she was like a modern day Jessie Jackson. OK, I'm rambling now, maybe a flashback too (not in this decade) :*)

Spare change anyone?
BCG

john h on 11/10/01 at 18:11 (064629)

judy: i thought i saw you out by the pool at the Mona Kea. I did not jog any on that trip. You sort of look like a surboard dudette and look like you could hang ten with the best of them.

JudyS on 11/11/01 at 10:35 (064667)

John dear, the only 'ten' I hang are my ten toes off the end of the bed while sleeping on my tummy at night!