Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

First Orbasone treatment with Dr. Z

Posted by john a on 11/07/01 at 10:00 (064300)

I had my first Orbasone treatment with Dr. Z on 11/5. 3000 shocks beginning at 12 Kv and eventually increasing to 16 Kv directed at the inner calcaneal PF attachment point in my right heel. At the lower setting it didn't hurt at all, but as the Kv was increased, it did start to hurt, sometimes a lot. I didn't need the local anaesthetic, but I wouldn't exactly call it the most pleasurable treatment I've had :-) Also, the slightly awkward position the foot needed to be held in to receive the shocks was perhaps more uncomfortable than the shocks themselves. Also, the shocks seemed to vary greatly in intensity even at the same Kv setting, and the machine 'misfired' often, due to what I'm not sure. I walked out of the office with seemingly less pain than before treatment, but that was probably due to the mild anesthetizing effect of the shocks. Now, 40 hours later, it is still significantly tender to the touch - much more so than before - but I suppose that is to be expected, since the tissue _is_ being traumatized. No visible bruising or swelling. No burning or tingling when I'm off my feet. So far then, I am not better than before treatment, and in fact, due to the tenderness, slightly worse.

Dr Z. has a nice quaint little office in Woodbury, NJ., with a definite home town country doctor feel. Perhaps a little _too_ casual an atmosphere for a first impression, but I think I could get used to it with time :-) Dr Z himself is a pretty nice guy. It seems his generosity and big heart have been keeping him preternaturally young. My one small complaint about the visit was the hour delay in starting the treatment, which gave me far too much time to stew in my own anxiety and overactive imagination. But overall, I really have nothing to be unhappy about - after all, I _was_ the last luck winner of the ESWT lottery :-)

Eagerly awaiting some noticible improvement in my 2.5 year case of intractable PF.

John.

Re: First Orbasone treatment with Dr. Z

JudyS on 11/07/01 at 14:01 (064315)

John, it's such a shame you couldn't have joined the Heelspurs.com ESWT group back in Sept! We would have filled up that hour of yours in a heartbeat, taken your mind completely off the treatment (John h finds the most amazing treats at the neighbor grocer....)
and followed up with a swell dinner out! (Although TexBarb, NancyN and I probably would not have included you in our slumber party......).
What you found to be a somewhat relaxed feeling in the office was really just one of familiarity - the staff there has gotten quite used to Heelspurs.com patients so tend to treat us all like family. Like you, I had increased soreness for several days after the treatment but that was by no means unexpected. The difference,for me, between my Sept. treatment and the first one I had in June, was that I sensed overall improvement sooner - four weeks instead of eight.
Hope you're doing well - keep us posted!

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/07/01 at 16:20 (064330)

Sorry about the delay. We had a patient show up one hour early and then I tried to fit her in and started theie treatment, and then you showed up. I hate to have patients wait and it backfired sorry about that.

Steve P on 11/08/01 at 18:47 (064451)

John -- It's about time!

Glad you finally got your zaps. Be patient.... it'll probably take a while to feel better. But I'm glad you did it.

Best........Steve

JudyS on 11/07/01 at 14:01 (064315)

John, it's such a shame you couldn't have joined the Heelspurs.com ESWT group back in Sept! We would have filled up that hour of yours in a heartbeat, taken your mind completely off the treatment (John h finds the most amazing treats at the neighbor grocer....)
and followed up with a swell dinner out! (Although TexBarb, NancyN and I probably would not have included you in our slumber party......).
What you found to be a somewhat relaxed feeling in the office was really just one of familiarity - the staff there has gotten quite used to Heelspurs.com patients so tend to treat us all like family. Like you, I had increased soreness for several days after the treatment but that was by no means unexpected. The difference,for me, between my Sept. treatment and the first one I had in June, was that I sensed overall improvement sooner - four weeks instead of eight.
Hope you're doing well - keep us posted!

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/07/01 at 16:20 (064330)

Sorry about the delay. We had a patient show up one hour early and then I tried to fit her in and started theie treatment, and then you showed up. I hate to have patients wait and it backfired sorry about that.

Steve P on 11/08/01 at 18:47 (064451)

John -- It's about time!

Glad you finally got your zaps. Be patient.... it'll probably take a while to feel better. But I'm glad you did it.

Best........Steve