Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Achilles Tendonitis question

Posted by Beverly on 11/07/01 at 13:57 (064314)

I have PF, PTT, and AT... all for many months. PF came first, then PTT, then AT. I'm happy to report that thanks to a good set of orthodics, my PTT is remarkably improved. The PF has good days and bad days. But the AT is a persistant bugger. It calms down and starts to get better, but as soon as I increase activities to semi-normal, I'm back on what I call 'house arrest.'

Is there anything I'm not doing for the AT that I might be doing.
Here is what I'm doing:
* MRI done... was completely normal
*wear orthodics at all times (custom soft)... never go barefooted
*tried wearing a brace... wore it a month, but it increased swelling
*get a massage 2x a week
*do light stretching... all nonweightbearing... learned them in PT and have continued doing them although I stop when my ankle is really bad.
* Like anyone with PF, I've run the gamut on shoes and only wear athletic shoes or quality orthopedic style shoes like Drew/Ambulator.
* ice/heat regularly
* use Vioxx off and on... not sure if it does any good
* had orthodist increase the heel height on my Drew and Ambulator shoes so I have at least a one inch heel

I know far less about AT than I do PF, and have found far less about it on the internet. I work at home. I am not on my feet alot. I was told I am not a good candidate for EWST on my feet because my pain is diffused across too broad an area of the foot. However, the AT pain is pretty site specific. When ankles become commonplace with EWST in my area, I want to try that, but whatabout in the meantime? I see the improvement of the PTT as a very good sign. Now, if I could only get the AT under control, I think my foot would follow along.

Thank you,
Beverly

Re: Achilles Tendonitis question

Anthony P on 11/09/01 at 21:12 (064559)

Hi, I can relate to the Achilles Tendonitis problems I just had surgery
Nov 7th for Achilles, plantar fasica release and ankle surgery.
There are many braces on the market that may help if yours didnt help
I also tryed a hard cast for a time , EWST and lots of physical thearapy But surgery should be the last thing it was for me.

Laurie R on 11/09/01 at 22:46 (064580)

Hi Anthony , How are you feeling ? You said you just had surgery on Nov 7 th? How long did your doctor say it would take you to recover ? How long do you have to be non weight bearing ?

I hope you are not in to much pain .. Laurie R

PS I wish you a speedy recovery .

Re: Sorry Anthony , I read this board first , I just saw your update on the surgery board. Thanks

Laurie R on 11/09/01 at 22:49 (064581)

EOM

Re: Hi Laurie

Anthony P on 11/10/01 at 08:25 (064589)

The pain is not as bad today I'm in a non weight bearing cast for six weeks
I'm looking at six to 12 monthes rehab .
How are you feeling these days ? thanks Anthony

Re: Re:anthony

Laurie R on 11/10/01 at 09:46 (064595)

Hi Anthony , I am so happy to hear you are not in real bad pain . I know we all have pain , but pain after surgery can get really painful for a while. You had a lot of surgery done . At least you are being real about the recovery time . Six to 12 months sounds about right .

I think I read you have a one year old daughter ? How wonderful , now at least you will be home for her . I have two daughters , 1 is going to be 14 and my baby is 8 . Their is one good thing that came our of my foot pain , I do stay home with my girls now. I used to work nights and my kids hated it .

Hang in there anthony , and you know we are here. Enjoy your beautiful daughter and I wish you pain free days ......Laurie R

I'm so sorry I just noticed you asked how i was feeing . I am in pain 24/7 . I have PF and tts and tenosynivitis in my FHL tendon and RSD and a fibroma . This is all in my right foot . This all started 2 and half yrears ago . I have tried most treatments and tests.

Right now I am being treated by my Pod and a PM doctor . I had one spinal injection and I will have my second one next Thursday . This is for the RSD . They have to get it under control before I have surgery .

I wish you only the best .

Anthony P on 11/09/01 at 21:12 (064559)

Hi, I can relate to the Achilles Tendonitis problems I just had surgery
Nov 7th for Achilles, plantar fasica release and ankle surgery.
There are many braces on the market that may help if yours didnt help
I also tryed a hard cast for a time , EWST and lots of physical thearapy But surgery should be the last thing it was for me.

Laurie R on 11/09/01 at 22:46 (064580)

Hi Anthony , How are you feeling ? You said you just had surgery on Nov 7 th? How long did your doctor say it would take you to recover ? How long do you have to be non weight bearing ?

I hope you are not in to much pain .. Laurie R

PS I wish you a speedy recovery .

Re: Sorry Anthony , I read this board first , I just saw your update on the surgery board. Thanks

Laurie R on 11/09/01 at 22:49 (064581)

EOM

Re: Hi Laurie

Anthony P on 11/10/01 at 08:25 (064589)

The pain is not as bad today I'm in a non weight bearing cast for six weeks
I'm looking at six to 12 monthes rehab .
How are you feeling these days ? thanks Anthony

Re: Re:anthony

Laurie R on 11/10/01 at 09:46 (064595)

Hi Anthony , I am so happy to hear you are not in real bad pain . I know we all have pain , but pain after surgery can get really painful for a while. You had a lot of surgery done . At least you are being real about the recovery time . Six to 12 months sounds about right .

I think I read you have a one year old daughter ? How wonderful , now at least you will be home for her . I have two daughters , 1 is going to be 14 and my baby is 8 . Their is one good thing that came our of my foot pain , I do stay home with my girls now. I used to work nights and my kids hated it .

Hang in there anthony , and you know we are here. Enjoy your beautiful daughter and I wish you pain free days ......Laurie R

I'm so sorry I just noticed you asked how i was feeing . I am in pain 24/7 . I have PF and tts and tenosynivitis in my FHL tendon and RSD and a fibroma . This is all in my right foot . This all started 2 and half yrears ago . I have tried most treatments and tests.

Right now I am being treated by my Pod and a PM doctor . I had one spinal injection and I will have my second one next Thursday . This is for the RSD . They have to get it under control before I have surgery .

I wish you only the best .