Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Docs and anyone tts and sciatic nerve pain

Posted by Kim on 11/07/01 at 16:22 (064331)

can you have sciatic nerve pain with tts. I had an unsuccessful release a year ago. i have tts in both feet. i only had the right one done. i also have pain up the outside of my foot . sometimes my little toe feels numb. i also have the pain in my ankle and up my arch. I was just put on 2400 mg of neurontin. is that safe. i have had two mri's on my back within three years and my back is fine. appreciate your response.

Re: sure you can have both

elliott on 11/07/01 at 16:43 (064332)

Several on these boards, including me, do have or have had both. Where you have to be careful is if the real cause of your TTS is your back, with possibly unnecessary foot surgery being performed.

There does seem to be a higher-than-random relationship between the two, possibly because if you alter, say, your gait due to foot pain, your back might take a beating, but evidence is scant. What symptoms do you have leading you to believe you have sciatica?

kim on 11/08/01 at 17:16 (064444)

i said sciatic pain because my hips hurt, but maybe it is because the tts goes up my legs, so that is making the muscles in my legs hurt and trying to walk with tts does put a strain on your back. i have had two mri's in the last two years and they show nothing. wouldn't it show on an mri. i go for another one tuesday. i think this is all in my feet because my ankles hurt and burn and up my arch. i also get it on the outside of my foot up to my little toe. has anyone ever had the outside of their foot get numb too. tell me how tts makes you feel. waiting to hear.

elliott on 11/08/01 at 19:52 (064454)

Hips are not the same as butt/hamstring or other pockets. The sciatic nerves descend from discs on each side of your back, run through each butt down the hamstring and into the lower leg. A bulging disc in the lower back can give sciatica (that would show up on an (lumbar spine) MRI of the lower back, but not on a foot/ankle MRI. Sciatica can also result from a tight piriformis muscle (that would not show up). It can also be exhibited as pockets of discomfort around the knee and lower leg. Balanced hips and strong back obviously are a good thing. You're not describing anything sounding obviously like sciatica.

Yes, you can have nervy problems on the lateral side too related to TTS (the lateral plantar nerve heads there); that would be in the forefoot and toes, but not near the lateral ankle (although other major nerves are there).

Re: Kim

CArmen H on 11/30/01 at 08:12 (065705)

Don't know if you'll see this but I am quite sure you CAN have Sciatic nerve pain with TTS.
Chart your pain...and see where it's coming from.
http://www.teleemg.com/Anatomy/QuickAnatomy/pnsqa.htm

elliott on 11/07/01 at 16:43 (064332)

Several on these boards, including me, do have or have had both. Where you have to be careful is if the real cause of your TTS is your back, with possibly unnecessary foot surgery being performed.

There does seem to be a higher-than-random relationship between the two, possibly because if you alter, say, your gait due to foot pain, your back might take a beating, but evidence is scant. What symptoms do you have leading you to believe you have sciatica?

kim on 11/08/01 at 17:16 (064444)

i said sciatic pain because my hips hurt, but maybe it is because the tts goes up my legs, so that is making the muscles in my legs hurt and trying to walk with tts does put a strain on your back. i have had two mri's in the last two years and they show nothing. wouldn't it show on an mri. i go for another one tuesday. i think this is all in my feet because my ankles hurt and burn and up my arch. i also get it on the outside of my foot up to my little toe. has anyone ever had the outside of their foot get numb too. tell me how tts makes you feel. waiting to hear.

elliott on 11/08/01 at 19:52 (064454)

Hips are not the same as butt/hamstring or other pockets. The sciatic nerves descend from discs on each side of your back, run through each butt down the hamstring and into the lower leg. A bulging disc in the lower back can give sciatica (that would show up on an (lumbar spine) MRI of the lower back, but not on a foot/ankle MRI. Sciatica can also result from a tight piriformis muscle (that would not show up). It can also be exhibited as pockets of discomfort around the knee and lower leg. Balanced hips and strong back obviously are a good thing. You're not describing anything sounding obviously like sciatica.

Yes, you can have nervy problems on the lateral side too related to TTS (the lateral plantar nerve heads there); that would be in the forefoot and toes, but not near the lateral ankle (although other major nerves are there).

Re: Kim

CArmen H on 11/30/01 at 08:12 (065705)

Don't know if you'll see this but I am quite sure you CAN have Sciatic nerve pain with TTS.
Chart your pain...and see where it's coming from.
http://www.teleemg.com/Anatomy/QuickAnatomy/pnsqa.htm