Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How long have you suffered?

Posted by pam on 11/07/01 at 22:25 (064370)

I have had heel spurs on both feet since 1987, and for the last few years my whole right foot kills me. It hurts so bad I can hardly stand it, and it swells. I have tried everything over the years, and gave up on doctors (for my feet at least), 3 years ago.
The last thing my doctor did after operating on my foot (with no success), is to give me an MRI. Well, when I called for the results the nurse said 'all it is is heel spurs'. I was so upset because I know there has got to be more. He told the person giving the mri to concentrate on the heel, so that must have been all they looked at. I told the doctor over and over, that it was my whole foot, but they don't listen. Over the last 13 years, I had seen 3 orthopedists and the latter was a podiatrist. What should I do? I want a life!
Has any of you had heels spurs so long that now your whole foot kills you and swells?

Re: How long have you suffered?

BrianG on 11/08/01 at 08:22 (064383)

Hi Pam,

I kind of feel the same way you do. I have had PF (no spurs) for over 7 years, both feet. For the first 5 years I was convinced that I had to have something other than PF. I put my HMO through hell, looking for a different diagnosis. How can a simple case of PF turn into a diasabeling condition??? I had all types of blood and urine tests, x-rays, bone scan and MRI. Sorry, same diagnosis, simple PF. Now I have pain that seems to have taken over my whole foot, and lower legs. I have no burning, just a dull, deep pain. As if someone hits the bottom of my heels every morning with a 2x4'.

I'm sure if I went to a pain clinic, I would get a different diagnosis, like chronic regional pain syndrome, or something like that. In all these years I have only gotten relief from one thing, pain meds. If you'd lke to talk more about them, I'd be glad to share what I know. It's a big, every day commitment. Good luck

BCG

BrianJ on 11/08/01 at 08:52 (064388)

Hi BrianG --

I find your your foot history interesting and somewhat similar to mine. Would you give more detail about how your problem started, your general weight and foot type, and what treatments you've tried (ESWT, for example)? Also, when do you have the worst pain (first step in morning, standing, walking, etc.).

If you'd rather not get into all this on this board, please feel free to email me at wimerjobe@aol.com .

Thanks.

pam on 11/08/01 at 09:36 (064397)

Brian,

Oh Boy, this is a long one. I have always had a lot of pain as an adult, after standing for many hours doing retail and waitress work. Then in 1987, after gain quite a bit of weight, plus working on feet for hours at a time on concrete; I developing terrible painful heel spurs. This happened first in my right, then I'd shift my weight and it would be on the left, then my right. I had to continue to work to support myself while going to college and raising 2 kids. My feet were so bad I could hardly walk and it was unbearable! Went to doctor's and had orthotics made (no help, because they were always to hard), had shots of cortizone (this would usually help for a week and then, because I was on my feet so much; the pain came back fiercer than ever.
Finally, in 1991 (after working on my feet for 4 years), I got a job at the county as a typist and worked there for 8 years. I had to do some walking at work and it hurt to keep my right foot on the floor, so I usually propped it up with a box under my desk. However, I still had tons of work to do at home, and forget about ever going anywhere for enjoyment where walking is part of it. My house has gotten more messy over the years, because I just can't keep up, and if I even mow the lawn, for instance; my feet are right back to killing me for days/weeks, and the only way they ease up some, is if I do practically nothing on my feet and keep them up. No way to live, I know.
Yes, I am overweight and I know this contributes a great deal to my plight, but with all the stressors in my life, plus feeling overwhelmed and having insomnia for years; I just can't seem to get up the willpower to do it.
I could go on, but won't right now. I bet your are sorry you asked, but thanks for doing it.

Pam

D.Thomas on 11/08/01 at 10:09 (064398)

I can relate to what you are saying in many ways. I have had PF for 7 years but the pain level rose to 10 around April of this year. I had a pain level of 10 for about 6 months 24 hours a day. My feet would swell anytime I did not have them elevated. The pain never let up. It was very depressing and I was diagnosed with Depression and Generalized Anxiety. I never got any sleep for about 5 months which just made everything even worse. I have never gone through anything like this in my life and I'm a revovering addict and alcholic. I honestly had some really hard mornings getting up and starting the day becuase of the pain and seeing no relief in the future. And my family and wife had a real hard time understanding what was going on with me and didn't understand PF at all. I felt very alone and that no one could understand what I was going through until I came to this website. The things that really helped me was finding this board, finding a good Pod, and finding a good Psychologist. When you hit the pain level of 10 day after day it can have devistating effects on your outlook, emotions, and thoughts. They need help just as much as your feet. I would just like to say Pam that you are not alone here. Hang in there and take the steps you need to make yourself feel better. Don't let the PF monster rob your life.

BrianJ on 11/08/01 at 10:25 (064399)

Hello Pam --

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had to deal with this pain for so long. I feel rather sheepish -- as I was directing my questions to BrianG, who had responded to your original post. I would certainly never ask a woman about her weight, and I hope you were not offended.

Keep trying new treatments (as I am), and I hope you find something that provides relief. We all have to keep a sense of hope!

Barbara TX on 11/08/01 at 11:33 (064403)

Pam - I would go to the place that did your MRI and get the original films just to check to see if indeed they did a whole foot/ankle MRI. Now that you have additional pain you will need another. PF for so long can most certainly cause other problems. Sometimes you have to fight hard for good medical care. B.

pam on 11/08/01 at 11:52 (064405)

Thanks for making me feels welcome. everyone. Don't worry about asking about my weight, because I feel like if anyone is to get help, they can't hide the details. That's what's nice about posting on a board like this, I don't have anyones eyes staring at me, and I could be sitting here stark naked if I wanted to (but I'm not) - just my warped sense of humor ;-) and don't have to worry about it.
I can't believe that there is no help for us, I just think we haven't hit upon the right answers yet, and if we leave it all to the medical profession, we'll be waiting even longer. Afterall, they are not the ones with the pain - we are!
I don't know if any of you read my brussel sprouts suggestions, but if I notice a difference on any particular day, I try to analyze it, because you never know when answers are going to come.

pam

pam on 11/08/01 at 11:58 (064406)

Barbara,

No, There is no additional pain since the MRI. It was at a 10 then and it still is, that's how long it's been going on.
If I take it easy for a few days, with my feet up, then it gets better as long as I am not on my feet for more than 5 minutes at a time. But, If I have to go grocery shopping or something, I come back home in excrutiating pain. If on that day, I can put my feet up for hours, then I can get up the next morning and not feel too bad, but if I can't then it just gets worse and worse. If I have a major chore to do, like mowing lawn or cleaning a closet, then I don't feel any relief for sometimes weeks.

Pam

Beverly on 11/08/01 at 15:22 (064428)

Pam,

I'm sorry you have suffered for so long. I'm just past the 1.5 year mark with bilateral PF (and also tendonitis in ankles but that came a few months later). I try to keep my sense of perspective by remembering that I have periods of improvement even though I also get relaspses. (Currently in relaspe mode from doing too much.)

This is a good place to find friends who will understand your pain and frustration.

Take care,
Beverly

Laurie R on 11/08/01 at 15:37 (064432)

Dear Pam and welcome to the board. You will find some pretty wonderful people here that are always willing to help . I have gotten the best support her for my foot problems .

I am so sorry to hear of your terrible pain . I can relate to your pain . I am in pain 24/7 .

I started out with PF 2.5 years ago . I have not been able to work for over two years now . Now I have PF and TTS and tenosynivitis in my FHL tendon and a fibroma and RSD all in my right foot and ankle .

Your pain sounds like mine . If I go to the grocery store forget it , I am in so much pain when I am done . Sometimes I have to go . I have two children that have to eat. My life has changed so much since this all started .

Please if I can help you in any way , just ask .

My very best to you . Remember we understand what you are going through . We may all not have the same things wrong , but we are all in pain ....

Laurie R

pam on 11/08/01 at 15:43 (064433)

Thank you Beverly - can you tell me what PF is? I will be visiting here often.

Pam

pam on 11/08/01 at 15:47 (064434)

Thanks Laurie. How did you get such a through evaluation. There isn't many good doctors (if any) in my area. Good thing I have a head on my shoulders and can seek info myself.
I know, it is so hard. My house is such a wreck and I married a man a few years ago who is even more handicapped and I am. He wears braces on both legs and I have to help him with practically everything. He does work though, but that is getting harder. He was born with a birth defect. Even though I love him, I sometimes wonder if I bit off more than I could chew. Thanks again for making me feel welcome.

Pam

Suzanne D on 11/08/01 at 16:05 (064438)

Pam, I found this board the first week of August after being diagnosed with PF the first of June. It is hard to say which has been the most beneficial: the information gleaned here or the support from the board. Both are invaluable resources! Make sure and take the time to read the information on this site as well as the message boards. You will find many questions answered or at least enough information to know what questions to ask!

Best wishes to you!

JoAnn Fl on 11/08/01 at 16:40 (064441)

Hi Pam, sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Go to this website it will explain what PF is... plus more.
http://www.deroyal.com/shop/newarticlepage.asp?ArticleID=1&SectionID=1

Plantar Fasciitis on 11/09/01 at 01:31 (064464)

Pam, in answer to your question, PF is Plantar Fasciitis, an inflammation of or injury to the fascia, a ligamentous structure encapsulating the muscles that connect the heel to the ball of the foot. The fascia can tear at its insertion point with the heel bone. Many doctors still use the terms 'heel spurs' and 'plantar fasciitis' interchangeably, but heel spurs are rarely the cause of pain.

From your description in your first post, it really does sound as if you have a lot more going on in your foot than PF, which can, as Barb says, lead to other problems such as the various tendonitises - Achilles, Posterior Tibial, etc. This is not uncommon, since the same conditions that predisposed a person to PF (if that's what started it) also predispose to the others.

You say you've 'tried everything', but what does 'everything' include? I know you've seen lots of doctors, but has any of them tried to get at the cause of your problem? Has anyone evaluated your gait to determine whether you have faults, such as over-pronation which could be dealt with? If the answer to this is 'no', your next step is to give doctors another chance. Search for a top-notch podiatrist who has the knowledge, skills, patience, and equipment to conduct a full evaluation, and go from there.

If you post a question on the 'Ask the Foot Doctors' board saying where you live, one of the doctors who posts here may be able to recommend a podiatrist in your area.

Meanwhile, print out and read the heel pain book on this website - the best source of information about PF and related foot problems; and read the message boards for the benefit of the experience of others. You are not alone!

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

Julie on 11/09/01 at 01:33 (064465)

Sorry about that, Pam: the post was from me, not from Plantar Fasciitis! I seem to have forgotten how to post.

Another thought: why not keep eating sprouts, if they reduce your pain?

pam on 11/09/01 at 07:18 (064470)

Oh, PF! Yes, I had been diagnosed with that and heel spurs since the beggining. I just didn't put the initials together.
Thanks for your in depth description. I have had cortizone shots, 3 differents set of orthotics (over 9 year period), phsical therapy - 3 different times, I have a mens machine to use at home, & surgery. They have tested my foot nerves and the doctor said that was fine. I asked the doctor who did my nerve test what it could be, and he said maybe tendonitis.
After my surgery didn't take, my podiatrist sent me to a doctor who anzlyes your gait, etc. I went a few times, but he was very rude and obnoxious.
I am overweight and everyone keeps telling me to loose weight, but it is hard because I am under a lot of stress, and a chronic insomniac, so I can barely keep it together most of the time.
I probably left stuff out, because my memory is not too good either.
Sorry, this is so long.

pam

Re: each step squeezes inflammatory fluid // Scott R?

Max K on 11/09/01 at 08:30 (064481)

Hey JoAnn,

Thanks for that link, I have never read anything about inflammatory fluid, or its role in PF. Not even in The heel pain book.

That imagery of the inflammatory fluid seems to be very helpful in visualizing and understanding what happens in PF, and it also helps to remind me and motivate me to take certain precautions and procedures now that I understand better what's going on.

That link had many other excellent things to say. But that part about the inflammatory fluid, I think that should be included in every basic explanation of PF, and yet this is the first time I've read or heard of it.

http://www.deroyal.com/shop/newarticlepage.asp?ArticleID=1&SectionID=4

Re: Anxiety meds

BrianG on 11/09/01 at 10:08 (064493)

I noticed in this string that a lot of people here have insomnia. I know it will be hard to heal if you not getting enough sleep. Why not ask your doctors to prescibe you an anxiey med to take before bedtime. Some are very simple, like Diazapam (valium). Others are a little more complex and have stuff like 1/2 lifes, for people who don't want to wake up groggy. I used to have insomnia something fierce, until I sarted on Diazapam, about 4-5 years ago. I take a very low dose before bed and it still works fine. I have developed no tollerance issues, I'm still taking the small dose I was originally scripted. Give it a try, I look at it as just another weapon in our arsenal to beat this monster.

BCG

BrianG on 11/09/01 at 10:10 (064494)

Hey BrianJ, I'll e-mail you in the next day or two...

BCG

Re: Anxiety meds who do u ask?

Tammie on 11/09/01 at 10:40 (064498)

Ok Brian, I know u have good answers , now how do u go about asking your dr. without making yourself sound as tho u are looking for a drug fix. Would one ask there pod for something to help them sleep ? Once I asked about pain meds or something to help sleep he asked me who my praimary dr. was, I told him I have none for myself only a gyn as I do not go to a dr. ever. He looked at me like I was crazy and I am not sure he believed me . I felt as tho he since then has been very hesitant to address pain or meds unless it was right after surgery and then was a min amount like 20 ultram or he gave me 10 darvecet. I am not a pill person but I would like some sleep myself on occasion. I have tryed the tylonol with the pm and added a benydril which works for a time, but wake up still with discomfort. Or sometimes with a heavy feeling and dry mouth. I worry what this can do if taken for long periods if system builds up to it or if has any unsavory effects.

Thinking maybe time to find one of thease primary dr. but must say I do not like dr.s very much sorry to those that are here no offense. Just I do not care to go ,funny as I never hesitate to take my kids or my husband. But in any case I may look into seeing the familys Dr. she seems very nice my kids love her and so does the hubby . I just feel funny about asking for any medications.And being new to a Dr. are they going to think I am crazy or a druggie? I am going to hit post before I chicken out as I have wrote this 3 times and each deleted lol i dont want anyone to think I am more of a nutcase then I am lol

Re: Sleeping med.

Andrea R. on 11/09/01 at 11:06 (064506)

Tammie,

There is a drug called Ambien which is a sleeping pill. It is suppose to help you get to sleep and not wake up groggy. You only take it for a week or two and they only give you that many pills.

My husband and step-mother both have used it without any problems. My husband didn't wake up with his leg pains and my step-mother said it helped when her knee pain was keeping her up.

I've tried valium or pain pills to help sleep but I find I have strange dreams or wake up numerous time during the night.

You might as well give it a try. You have nothing to lose but a lack of sleep.

Andrea

Laurie R on 11/09/01 at 11:14 (064509)

Dearest Tammie , NO ONE THINKS YOU ARE A NUTCASE .... My dear friend , you are in a lot of pain and you don' sleep . Now I can not take sleeping pills ,they made me feel so weird and one night I had the WORSE anxiety attack I had ever had in my life after taking a sleeping pill . I really thought I was going to die . I had my hubby so scared . He had to take me out of the bedroom , poor guy did not know what to do . So no more sleeping pills for Laurie . Plus I did not sleep very well with them . I would keep waking up every few hours.

As for anxiety meds. As you know I did talk to my Pod about the anxiety I am having . It was the best talk I had ever had with him. He listened and took me serious and gave me the much needed meds . I take Xanax now as needed . As you can remember I was so scared to even try them . So one day the anxiety was bad like it always has been and I had to take the pill. I did and in about 30 minutes I was fine ..

Now with Xanax I have heard all different kinds of things . At this point if I get hooked on it , oh well it is better then feeling like I am going to die . And you know you don't feel any different when you take it . I just feel calm and I don't feel like I am going to die anymore . They say it is very addicting , the only thing I can see someone getting addicited to is being calm . If it was not for the Xanax I would of never been be able to go to the hospital and have the spinal injections . I did fine . I was scared but it did not go into anxiety where I had to leave or that I thought I was going to die . So to me it is a God sent . And I only take it when I feel the anxiety coming on .

Maybe you can try it . I swear it has saved my life . I just wish I would of tried it a long time ago ....

My best to you as always sweet friend , Laurie R

Laurie R on 11/09/01 at 11:18 (064510)

Hi , I know everyone is different and how they work on you . This is the one I took Ambien . It was the worse for me . This is the sleeping pill I tried and I had the worse anxiety attack from it . I got rid of the rest of them. And I did take these for three nights , the first two nights I kept waking up every two hours . I did not like this at all.

I am glad they work for your hubby and your step mom . I guess we just have to try the different meds to see what works best for us .

My bes tto you Andrea , Laurie R

john h on 11/09/01 at 12:17 (064516)

tammie: there is an anti anxiety med that helps with sleep and pain. it is also used for many other problems including epilipsy. if taken in small doses like 1mg at bedtime it will help you with sleep and anxiety and not bother you with feeling spaced out during the day. one of very good friends has taken it for years as has a doctor friend of mine. It is called Clonazepam. My friend takes only 1mg at bedtime and has taken it for many years. He was having a problem with passing out and also could not sleep. This has completely controlled his problem. My doctor friend has generalized anxiety and he also has taken it for some years. I am not sure but this drug may also be an antidepressant. It seems depression and anxiety sort of go hand in hand.

The only med i ever found that helped my back is Ultram. Although the doctor prescribed a lot more I found that when my back was acting up that Ultram 10mg taking 2 at once did provide relief. When i have taken it i have never noticed any sleepiness or any other effect. From what I read it is not addictive or hurts your stomach. It is not an antiflamatory and is only used for pain.

john h on 11/09/01 at 12:30 (064520)

Laurie: I will say to you what I said to Tammie. Ask your doctor about Cloazepam for anxiety/sleep problems and it may also target pain.

Re: Anxiety meds who do u ask?Who do I ask for this

Tammie on 11/09/01 at 13:36 (064524)

Ok I got the courage to read this up now please tell me , Would my pod be able to help with this? Or is this something out of his help? At this point it is only him I see, this sleep loss and pain is related to my feet and leg bothering me . I suppose I also have other worries that may be adding to this in ways. I just am not sure how to go about this, as I dont want to come off sounding like I am telling them what to give me if I am to knowledgable sometimes that is a strike against u in itself! Alls I want and have been trying for months to get thru to anyone is a good night sleep without waking up several times with pain or discomfort keeping me awake not allowing me to go back to sleep with ease. Of course having a complete healing in this foot stuff would be a nice added bonus also lol!

If I try again talking with my pod about this and aske him again for something and he avoids it or makes it seem he does not want to hear it who would I talk with next? Thank u all as this is actually a relief to talk about this for me. I just keep feeling like a faliure that I want to resort to medications, I have always fought the use of medications. Thanks again

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/09/01 at 18:37 (064542)

Hi,

John H is really on a roll with great advice, lack of sleep, depression
and anxiety all are cousins of each other. Must be very careful with these drugs that once you start them have a doctor that will moniter the drugs and be very careful not to just stop them at once,. Can your podiatrist dispense this medications yes if he has the experience in treating these probem that go along with foot pain. If it were Dr. Z I would make an appointment with a board certified Psychiatrist. They use all of these
medications, they know the side effect and most important which medication is best for you. They are the experts in this area.Psychiatrist has a bad taste to some people because hey I must be crazy. No way again I repeat they really know which medications are best for your specific anxiety, sleep disorder and or depression. Skip the rest and go to the expert which is a board certified psychiatrist. I hope this is helpful to all who suffer from pain, anxiety, depression lack of sleep and plantar fasica pain

Laurie R on 11/09/01 at 18:48 (064547)

Dear Tammie , I don't think anyone really likes taking meds . I sure don't . But when my pain got so bad ,I did have to ask for pain meds . Then when the anxiety got so bad I did the same . What I did before I even talk to my Pod about was , I read all I could on anxeity and what meds work best for my type of anxiety . Then I read a lot of feed back from patients that take the meds . I wanted to see what meds were working the best. I was at the point that for me to even click on a anxiety sit made me have more anxiety .I took it really slow and now I love reading about it . I want it to get better and I knew I had to do whatever it was to help it get better.

So I wrote down a few names of drugs for anxiety that I had read about . of course all meds can have side affects. So I talked to my Pod and he was so wonderful about it all . He listened to me and said any of the meds I wrote down would help. So he gave me a script of Xanax to try . Ok I will be honest here , I was so scared to even try them. So I kept them for over a month . I thought about it everyday . My hubby wanted me to try them so bad. I even joked with him one night , I told him I would try that night . He asked me how I felt , I said on so good I am calm. He was so happy , then I had to tell him I did not take the pills . He was so disappointed in me . He has seen me in a full blown anxiety attack many times . He just wanted me to feel better.

So I had went back to see my Pod and he asked how the xanax was working . I had to tell him the truth that I did not try it yet. He said fine . So one day I was getting major anxiety and I tried it . I was fine with it . I do take it when I need it now . It has helped me so much . I can't understand why I waited so long to try it .Also my Pod only gave me the lowest doseage . I still thought on my God how about if I take this and it makes the anxiety worse , even tho I read ove rand over again it is for anxeity .

Our minds play mean tricks on us sometimes.

I understand how you feel about talking to your doctor . Even though I think the world of my Pod I still was so nervous to talk to him aobut it . I just did not want him to think I was crazy . That was all in my head ,he has never thought that .

Tammie your Pod can give you anxiety meds or sleeping aids or any type of med he feels you need.

Please understand ,their is meds to help you , but you have to talk to your doctor about them. On the other hand I think I know how you feel , you said your doctor does not really believe in meds to much right ? So I could understand why you feel bad for asking him , you don't feel comfortable right ?

All you can do is try . But make sure you explain why you are asking so he will understand . Sleep aids and anxiety meds are not pain pills so maybe your Pod will understand ....

YOu are not a failure for asking for help when you need it .

I am glad you feel comfortable to talk about it . I went years where I did not want to talk about it . I just did not want people to think I was crazy or that I just wanted to take pills . If I had a choice I wish I did not have anxiety or pain and not have to take anything . I do get blood tests to check to make sure my liver is ok .

Much love sweet friend ,Laurie R

PS I so understand where you are coming from ..:)

Diane R on 11/10/01 at 17:27 (064624)

Taking medication for anxiety or depression is no different than taking medication for any other disorder including antiinflammatories for PF. Anxiety and depression are usually caused by chemical imbalances in the brain. The medication fixes the imbalance.

I take Prozac and Buspar. Without them I am irritable and can't sleep (among other things). With them I am calm and sleep like a baby. My husband takes Prozac and Xanax. Without them he is a wreck: major anxiety attacks, alcoholism, terrible temper. With them he is funny and kind and calm. One of my sons takes Paxil. Without it he is suicidal. With it he successfully holds a job and is happy.

Noone wants to take medicine if it is not needed. If it is needed you will benefit from it. And remember, antidepressants have no effect on you if you are not depressed since there is no imbalance to fix.

Re: Pain management doc

BrianG on 11/10/01 at 17:34 (064625)

Hi Tammy,

Lots of good advice here. Myself, I would look up what I was thinking I might need on the net. I'd then make photo copies of the information for my doctor. I'd tell him that I knew of other people taking these meds, whould he think about helping me out. Your Pod is obviously afraid to prescribe meds, so I think you are going to have to find another doctor. Do you know that my family doc told me he had only 1/2 day of pain management in med school! Boy, that is an injustice.

I would start with your family doctor. It's time for you to develop a relationship with a doctor that can help you with a variety of ailments. If the famly doc does't feel comfertable prescribing meds, I would advise a pain management specialist. These are real doctors, whose specialty is helping people with all types of pain issues. You can usually get a referral from yor own doc, or a local hospital.

I just would like to say a couple things about addiction. I read that word too much on this forum. We have to realize that people in legitamate pain will not become addicted, less that 1% does. Addicts live for the buzz. Pain sufferes will not even feel a buzz when they take the pain meds. We don't crave them, it's just another pill to take. If, and when its time to get off them, it is a very simple process to taper dowm. Every day, or week, however the doctor decides, you will take a little less. In might take anywhere from a couple of weeks, to a couple of months. In most cases the side effects are hardly even noticed.

There are many, many people out there that are being helped with pain, anxiety, and depression meds. There is absolutely no reason to be afraid to ask for them if you need them. Any doctor with a little compassion and smarts can weed out the drug seekers from the legitimate pain sufferers. Do not let a few bad apples keep you from asking for help.

OK, I'm off the soap box again :*)
BCG

Re: Anxiety meds who do u ask?Who do I ask for thisRE Diane

Laurie R on 11/11/01 at 11:29 (064671)

Dear Diane , Thank you so much for your post. I am so happy to hear that these meds are helping you and your family. I have had panic disorder for years , I just got the nerve up to talk to my Pod about it a few months ago. He understood very well and did not think I was crazy , even tho I thought I was crazy . Then with my foot just getting worse all the time , the anxiety went nuts. So I have been taking a very low dose of Xanax and WOW what a difference . I can not tell you how much this has helped me with my once out of control anxiety . I am not depressed at all , I think I deal with the pain pretty well, it was the anxiety I could not control.

I just wish I would of asked for something a long time ago. No one likes to take meds , but their are meds out there to help us ....

I am a calm person now , what a difference .....

Thank you again for your wonderful post , also thank you Brian for your post , I agree with you ....

Laurie R

Tammie on 11/12/01 at 19:10 (064743)

Well I just had time to read thease posts and they are all full of information! I thank each of u for taking the time to share a bit ! I have a Brother in law who is a psychiatrist,I guess that alone leaves a sour taste as tho he is most likly a good dr. I just dont care for some things I have observed. I feel like this is not the route I want to go. I have learned alot and am ready to take some actions as I want some sleep and more then a couple of hours here and there and want my feet to not hurt so much that all I focus on is will I be able to move or not or will I feel the nervy stuff or will I have a burning throbbing foot forever! Thank u all and will think about things now! Hugs to u!

john h on 11/13/01 at 11:17 (064751)

Tammie: I would not hesitate to talk to my 'brother in law' about anxiety medications as this condition is very treatable with medications and in many instances is the fastest method of relief. My uncle is a Psychaitrist and I lived with him for some years. It is amazing how quickly some people can find rapid relief from very severe anxiety. As Dr Zuckerman has pointed out Psycharatrist are the specialist in these medications although many family doctors do dispense them. You should not needlessly suffer when help is as close as your brother in law.

BrianG on 11/08/01 at 08:22 (064383)

Hi Pam,

I kind of feel the same way you do. I have had PF (no spurs) for over 7 years, both feet. For the first 5 years I was convinced that I had to have something other than PF. I put my HMO through hell, looking for a different diagnosis. How can a simple case of PF turn into a diasabeling condition??? I had all types of blood and urine tests, x-rays, bone scan and MRI. Sorry, same diagnosis, simple PF. Now I have pain that seems to have taken over my whole foot, and lower legs. I have no burning, just a dull, deep pain. As if someone hits the bottom of my heels every morning with a 2x4'.

I'm sure if I went to a pain clinic, I would get a different diagnosis, like chronic regional pain syndrome, or something like that. In all these years I have only gotten relief from one thing, pain meds. If you'd lke to talk more about them, I'd be glad to share what I know. It's a big, every day commitment. Good luck

BCG

BrianJ on 11/08/01 at 08:52 (064388)

Hi BrianG --

I find your your foot history interesting and somewhat similar to mine. Would you give more detail about how your problem started, your general weight and foot type, and what treatments you've tried (ESWT, for example)? Also, when do you have the worst pain (first step in morning, standing, walking, etc.).

If you'd rather not get into all this on this board, please feel free to email me at wimerjobe@aol.com .

Thanks.

pam on 11/08/01 at 09:36 (064397)

Brian,

Oh Boy, this is a long one. I have always had a lot of pain as an adult, after standing for many hours doing retail and waitress work. Then in 1987, after gain quite a bit of weight, plus working on feet for hours at a time on concrete; I developing terrible painful heel spurs. This happened first in my right, then I'd shift my weight and it would be on the left, then my right. I had to continue to work to support myself while going to college and raising 2 kids. My feet were so bad I could hardly walk and it was unbearable! Went to doctor's and had orthotics made (no help, because they were always to hard), had shots of cortizone (this would usually help for a week and then, because I was on my feet so much; the pain came back fiercer than ever.
Finally, in 1991 (after working on my feet for 4 years), I got a job at the county as a typist and worked there for 8 years. I had to do some walking at work and it hurt to keep my right foot on the floor, so I usually propped it up with a box under my desk. However, I still had tons of work to do at home, and forget about ever going anywhere for enjoyment where walking is part of it. My house has gotten more messy over the years, because I just can't keep up, and if I even mow the lawn, for instance; my feet are right back to killing me for days/weeks, and the only way they ease up some, is if I do practically nothing on my feet and keep them up. No way to live, I know.
Yes, I am overweight and I know this contributes a great deal to my plight, but with all the stressors in my life, plus feeling overwhelmed and having insomnia for years; I just can't seem to get up the willpower to do it.
I could go on, but won't right now. I bet your are sorry you asked, but thanks for doing it.

Pam

D.Thomas on 11/08/01 at 10:09 (064398)

I can relate to what you are saying in many ways. I have had PF for 7 years but the pain level rose to 10 around April of this year. I had a pain level of 10 for about 6 months 24 hours a day. My feet would swell anytime I did not have them elevated. The pain never let up. It was very depressing and I was diagnosed with Depression and Generalized Anxiety. I never got any sleep for about 5 months which just made everything even worse. I have never gone through anything like this in my life and I'm a revovering addict and alcholic. I honestly had some really hard mornings getting up and starting the day becuase of the pain and seeing no relief in the future. And my family and wife had a real hard time understanding what was going on with me and didn't understand PF at all. I felt very alone and that no one could understand what I was going through until I came to this website. The things that really helped me was finding this board, finding a good Pod, and finding a good Psychologist. When you hit the pain level of 10 day after day it can have devistating effects on your outlook, emotions, and thoughts. They need help just as much as your feet. I would just like to say Pam that you are not alone here. Hang in there and take the steps you need to make yourself feel better. Don't let the PF monster rob your life.

BrianJ on 11/08/01 at 10:25 (064399)

Hello Pam --

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had to deal with this pain for so long. I feel rather sheepish -- as I was directing my questions to BrianG, who had responded to your original post. I would certainly never ask a woman about her weight, and I hope you were not offended.

Keep trying new treatments (as I am), and I hope you find something that provides relief. We all have to keep a sense of hope!

Barbara TX on 11/08/01 at 11:33 (064403)

Pam - I would go to the place that did your MRI and get the original films just to check to see if indeed they did a whole foot/ankle MRI. Now that you have additional pain you will need another. PF for so long can most certainly cause other problems. Sometimes you have to fight hard for good medical care. B.

pam on 11/08/01 at 11:52 (064405)

Thanks for making me feels welcome. everyone. Don't worry about asking about my weight, because I feel like if anyone is to get help, they can't hide the details. That's what's nice about posting on a board like this, I don't have anyones eyes staring at me, and I could be sitting here stark naked if I wanted to (but I'm not) - just my warped sense of humor ;-) and don't have to worry about it.
I can't believe that there is no help for us, I just think we haven't hit upon the right answers yet, and if we leave it all to the medical profession, we'll be waiting even longer. Afterall, they are not the ones with the pain - we are!
I don't know if any of you read my brussel sprouts suggestions, but if I notice a difference on any particular day, I try to analyze it, because you never know when answers are going to come.

pam

pam on 11/08/01 at 11:58 (064406)

Barbara,

No, There is no additional pain since the MRI. It was at a 10 then and it still is, that's how long it's been going on.
If I take it easy for a few days, with my feet up, then it gets better as long as I am not on my feet for more than 5 minutes at a time. But, If I have to go grocery shopping or something, I come back home in excrutiating pain. If on that day, I can put my feet up for hours, then I can get up the next morning and not feel too bad, but if I can't then it just gets worse and worse. If I have a major chore to do, like mowing lawn or cleaning a closet, then I don't feel any relief for sometimes weeks.

Pam

Beverly on 11/08/01 at 15:22 (064428)

Pam,

I'm sorry you have suffered for so long. I'm just past the 1.5 year mark with bilateral PF (and also tendonitis in ankles but that came a few months later). I try to keep my sense of perspective by remembering that I have periods of improvement even though I also get relaspses. (Currently in relaspe mode from doing too much.)

This is a good place to find friends who will understand your pain and frustration.

Take care,
Beverly

Laurie R on 11/08/01 at 15:37 (064432)

Dear Pam and welcome to the board. You will find some pretty wonderful people here that are always willing to help . I have gotten the best support her for my foot problems .

I am so sorry to hear of your terrible pain . I can relate to your pain . I am in pain 24/7 .

I started out with PF 2.5 years ago . I have not been able to work for over two years now . Now I have PF and TTS and tenosynivitis in my FHL tendon and a fibroma and RSD all in my right foot and ankle .

Your pain sounds like mine . If I go to the grocery store forget it , I am in so much pain when I am done . Sometimes I have to go . I have two children that have to eat. My life has changed so much since this all started .

Please if I can help you in any way , just ask .

My very best to you . Remember we understand what you are going through . We may all not have the same things wrong , but we are all in pain ....

Laurie R

pam on 11/08/01 at 15:43 (064433)

Thank you Beverly - can you tell me what PF is? I will be visiting here often.

Pam

pam on 11/08/01 at 15:47 (064434)

Thanks Laurie. How did you get such a through evaluation. There isn't many good doctors (if any) in my area. Good thing I have a head on my shoulders and can seek info myself.
I know, it is so hard. My house is such a wreck and I married a man a few years ago who is even more handicapped and I am. He wears braces on both legs and I have to help him with practically everything. He does work though, but that is getting harder. He was born with a birth defect. Even though I love him, I sometimes wonder if I bit off more than I could chew. Thanks again for making me feel welcome.

Pam

Suzanne D on 11/08/01 at 16:05 (064438)

Pam, I found this board the first week of August after being diagnosed with PF the first of June. It is hard to say which has been the most beneficial: the information gleaned here or the support from the board. Both are invaluable resources! Make sure and take the time to read the information on this site as well as the message boards. You will find many questions answered or at least enough information to know what questions to ask!

Best wishes to you!

JoAnn Fl on 11/08/01 at 16:40 (064441)

Hi Pam, sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Go to this website it will explain what PF is... plus more.
http://www.deroyal.com/shop/newarticlepage.asp?ArticleID=1&SectionID=1

Plantar Fasciitis on 11/09/01 at 01:31 (064464)

Pam, in answer to your question, PF is Plantar Fasciitis, an inflammation of or injury to the fascia, a ligamentous structure encapsulating the muscles that connect the heel to the ball of the foot. The fascia can tear at its insertion point with the heel bone. Many doctors still use the terms 'heel spurs' and 'plantar fasciitis' interchangeably, but heel spurs are rarely the cause of pain.

From your description in your first post, it really does sound as if you have a lot more going on in your foot than PF, which can, as Barb says, lead to other problems such as the various tendonitises - Achilles, Posterior Tibial, etc. This is not uncommon, since the same conditions that predisposed a person to PF (if that's what started it) also predispose to the others.

You say you've 'tried everything', but what does 'everything' include? I know you've seen lots of doctors, but has any of them tried to get at the cause of your problem? Has anyone evaluated your gait to determine whether you have faults, such as over-pronation which could be dealt with? If the answer to this is 'no', your next step is to give doctors another chance. Search for a top-notch podiatrist who has the knowledge, skills, patience, and equipment to conduct a full evaluation, and go from there.

If you post a question on the 'Ask the Foot Doctors' board saying where you live, one of the doctors who posts here may be able to recommend a podiatrist in your area.

Meanwhile, print out and read the heel pain book on this website - the best source of information about PF and related foot problems; and read the message boards for the benefit of the experience of others. You are not alone!

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

Julie on 11/09/01 at 01:33 (064465)

Sorry about that, Pam: the post was from me, not from Plantar Fasciitis! I seem to have forgotten how to post.

Another thought: why not keep eating sprouts, if they reduce your pain?

pam on 11/09/01 at 07:18 (064470)

Oh, PF! Yes, I had been diagnosed with that and heel spurs since the beggining. I just didn't put the initials together.
Thanks for your in depth description. I have had cortizone shots, 3 differents set of orthotics (over 9 year period), phsical therapy - 3 different times, I have a mens machine to use at home, & surgery. They have tested my foot nerves and the doctor said that was fine. I asked the doctor who did my nerve test what it could be, and he said maybe tendonitis.
After my surgery didn't take, my podiatrist sent me to a doctor who anzlyes your gait, etc. I went a few times, but he was very rude and obnoxious.
I am overweight and everyone keeps telling me to loose weight, but it is hard because I am under a lot of stress, and a chronic insomniac, so I can barely keep it together most of the time.
I probably left stuff out, because my memory is not too good either.
Sorry, this is so long.

pam

Re: each step squeezes inflammatory fluid // Scott R?

Max K on 11/09/01 at 08:30 (064481)

Hey JoAnn,

Thanks for that link, I have never read anything about inflammatory fluid, or its role in PF. Not even in The heel pain book.

That imagery of the inflammatory fluid seems to be very helpful in visualizing and understanding what happens in PF, and it also helps to remind me and motivate me to take certain precautions and procedures now that I understand better what's going on.

That link had many other excellent things to say. But that part about the inflammatory fluid, I think that should be included in every basic explanation of PF, and yet this is the first time I've read or heard of it.

http://www.deroyal.com/shop/newarticlepage.asp?ArticleID=1&SectionID=4

Re: Anxiety meds

BrianG on 11/09/01 at 10:08 (064493)

I noticed in this string that a lot of people here have insomnia. I know it will be hard to heal if you not getting enough sleep. Why not ask your doctors to prescibe you an anxiey med to take before bedtime. Some are very simple, like Diazapam (valium). Others are a little more complex and have stuff like 1/2 lifes, for people who don't want to wake up groggy. I used to have insomnia something fierce, until I sarted on Diazapam, about 4-5 years ago. I take a very low dose before bed and it still works fine. I have developed no tollerance issues, I'm still taking the small dose I was originally scripted. Give it a try, I look at it as just another weapon in our arsenal to beat this monster.

BCG

BrianG on 11/09/01 at 10:10 (064494)

Hey BrianJ, I'll e-mail you in the next day or two...

BCG

Tammie on 11/09/01 at 10:40 (064498)

Ok Brian, I know u have good answers , now how do u go about asking your dr. without making yourself sound as tho u are looking for a drug fix. Would one ask there pod for something to help them sleep ? Once I asked about pain meds or something to help sleep he asked me who my praimary dr. was, I told him I have none for myself only a gyn as I do not go to a dr. ever. He looked at me like I was crazy and I am not sure he believed me . I felt as tho he since then has been very hesitant to address pain or meds unless it was right after surgery and then was a min amount like 20 ultram or he gave me 10 darvecet. I am not a pill person but I would like some sleep myself on occasion. I have tryed the tylonol with the pm and added a benydril which works for a time, but wake up still with discomfort. Or sometimes with a heavy feeling and dry mouth. I worry what this can do if taken for long periods if system builds up to it or if has any unsavory effects.

Thinking maybe time to find one of thease primary dr. but must say I do not like dr.s very much sorry to those that are here no offense. Just I do not care to go ,funny as I never hesitate to take my kids or my husband. But in any case I may look into seeing the familys Dr. she seems very nice my kids love her and so does the hubby . I just feel funny about asking for any medications.And being new to a Dr. are they going to think I am crazy or a druggie? I am going to hit post before I chicken out as I have wrote this 3 times and each deleted lol i dont want anyone to think I am more of a nutcase then I am lol

Andrea R. on 11/09/01 at 11:06 (064506)

Tammie,

There is a drug called Ambien which is a sleeping pill. It is suppose to help you get to sleep and not wake up groggy. You only take it for a week or two and they only give you that many pills.

My husband and step-mother both have used it without any problems. My husband didn't wake up with his leg pains and my step-mother said it helped when her knee pain was keeping her up.

I've tried valium or pain pills to help sleep but I find I have strange dreams or wake up numerous time during the night.

You might as well give it a try. You have nothing to lose but a lack of sleep.

Andrea

Laurie R on 11/09/01 at 11:14 (064509)

Dearest Tammie , NO ONE THINKS YOU ARE A NUTCASE .... My dear friend , you are in a lot of pain and you don' sleep . Now I can not take sleeping pills ,they made me feel so weird and one night I had the WORSE anxiety attack I had ever had in my life after taking a sleeping pill . I really thought I was going to die . I had my hubby so scared . He had to take me out of the bedroom , poor guy did not know what to do . So no more sleeping pills for Laurie . Plus I did not sleep very well with them . I would keep waking up every few hours.

As for anxiety meds. As you know I did talk to my Pod about the anxiety I am having . It was the best talk I had ever had with him. He listened and took me serious and gave me the much needed meds . I take Xanax now as needed . As you can remember I was so scared to even try them . So one day the anxiety was bad like it always has been and I had to take the pill. I did and in about 30 minutes I was fine ..

Now with Xanax I have heard all different kinds of things . At this point if I get hooked on it , oh well it is better then feeling like I am going to die . And you know you don't feel any different when you take it . I just feel calm and I don't feel like I am going to die anymore . They say it is very addicting , the only thing I can see someone getting addicited to is being calm . If it was not for the Xanax I would of never been be able to go to the hospital and have the spinal injections . I did fine . I was scared but it did not go into anxiety where I had to leave or that I thought I was going to die . So to me it is a God sent . And I only take it when I feel the anxiety coming on .

Maybe you can try it . I swear it has saved my life . I just wish I would of tried it a long time ago ....

My best to you as always sweet friend , Laurie R

Laurie R on 11/09/01 at 11:18 (064510)

Hi , I know everyone is different and how they work on you . This is the one I took Ambien . It was the worse for me . This is the sleeping pill I tried and I had the worse anxiety attack from it . I got rid of the rest of them. And I did take these for three nights , the first two nights I kept waking up every two hours . I did not like this at all.

I am glad they work for your hubby and your step mom . I guess we just have to try the different meds to see what works best for us .

My bes tto you Andrea , Laurie R

john h on 11/09/01 at 12:17 (064516)

tammie: there is an anti anxiety med that helps with sleep and pain. it is also used for many other problems including epilipsy. if taken in small doses like 1mg at bedtime it will help you with sleep and anxiety and not bother you with feeling spaced out during the day. one of very good friends has taken it for years as has a doctor friend of mine. It is called Clonazepam. My friend takes only 1mg at bedtime and has taken it for many years. He was having a problem with passing out and also could not sleep. This has completely controlled his problem. My doctor friend has generalized anxiety and he also has taken it for some years. I am not sure but this drug may also be an antidepressant. It seems depression and anxiety sort of go hand in hand.

The only med i ever found that helped my back is Ultram. Although the doctor prescribed a lot more I found that when my back was acting up that Ultram 10mg taking 2 at once did provide relief. When i have taken it i have never noticed any sleepiness or any other effect. From what I read it is not addictive or hurts your stomach. It is not an antiflamatory and is only used for pain.

john h on 11/09/01 at 12:30 (064520)

Laurie: I will say to you what I said to Tammie. Ask your doctor about Cloazepam for anxiety/sleep problems and it may also target pain.

Tammie on 11/09/01 at 13:36 (064524)

Ok I got the courage to read this up now please tell me , Would my pod be able to help with this? Or is this something out of his help? At this point it is only him I see, this sleep loss and pain is related to my feet and leg bothering me . I suppose I also have other worries that may be adding to this in ways. I just am not sure how to go about this, as I dont want to come off sounding like I am telling them what to give me if I am to knowledgable sometimes that is a strike against u in itself! Alls I want and have been trying for months to get thru to anyone is a good night sleep without waking up several times with pain or discomfort keeping me awake not allowing me to go back to sleep with ease. Of course having a complete healing in this foot stuff would be a nice added bonus also lol!

If I try again talking with my pod about this and aske him again for something and he avoids it or makes it seem he does not want to hear it who would I talk with next? Thank u all as this is actually a relief to talk about this for me. I just keep feeling like a faliure that I want to resort to medications, I have always fought the use of medications. Thanks again

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/09/01 at 18:37 (064542)

Hi,

John H is really on a roll with great advice, lack of sleep, depression
and anxiety all are cousins of each other. Must be very careful with these drugs that once you start them have a doctor that will moniter the drugs and be very careful not to just stop them at once,. Can your podiatrist dispense this medications yes if he has the experience in treating these probem that go along with foot pain. If it were Dr. Z I would make an appointment with a board certified Psychiatrist. They use all of these
medications, they know the side effect and most important which medication is best for you. They are the experts in this area.Psychiatrist has a bad taste to some people because hey I must be crazy. No way again I repeat they really know which medications are best for your specific anxiety, sleep disorder and or depression. Skip the rest and go to the expert which is a board certified psychiatrist. I hope this is helpful to all who suffer from pain, anxiety, depression lack of sleep and plantar fasica pain

Laurie R on 11/09/01 at 18:48 (064547)

Dear Tammie , I don't think anyone really likes taking meds . I sure don't . But when my pain got so bad ,I did have to ask for pain meds . Then when the anxiety got so bad I did the same . What I did before I even talk to my Pod about was , I read all I could on anxeity and what meds work best for my type of anxiety . Then I read a lot of feed back from patients that take the meds . I wanted to see what meds were working the best. I was at the point that for me to even click on a anxiety sit made me have more anxiety .I took it really slow and now I love reading about it . I want it to get better and I knew I had to do whatever it was to help it get better.

So I wrote down a few names of drugs for anxiety that I had read about . of course all meds can have side affects. So I talked to my Pod and he was so wonderful about it all . He listened to me and said any of the meds I wrote down would help. So he gave me a script of Xanax to try . Ok I will be honest here , I was so scared to even try them. So I kept them for over a month . I thought about it everyday . My hubby wanted me to try them so bad. I even joked with him one night , I told him I would try that night . He asked me how I felt , I said on so good I am calm. He was so happy , then I had to tell him I did not take the pills . He was so disappointed in me . He has seen me in a full blown anxiety attack many times . He just wanted me to feel better.

So I had went back to see my Pod and he asked how the xanax was working . I had to tell him the truth that I did not try it yet. He said fine . So one day I was getting major anxiety and I tried it . I was fine with it . I do take it when I need it now . It has helped me so much . I can't understand why I waited so long to try it .Also my Pod only gave me the lowest doseage . I still thought on my God how about if I take this and it makes the anxiety worse , even tho I read ove rand over again it is for anxeity .

Our minds play mean tricks on us sometimes.

I understand how you feel about talking to your doctor . Even though I think the world of my Pod I still was so nervous to talk to him aobut it . I just did not want him to think I was crazy . That was all in my head ,he has never thought that .

Tammie your Pod can give you anxiety meds or sleeping aids or any type of med he feels you need.

Please understand ,their is meds to help you , but you have to talk to your doctor about them. On the other hand I think I know how you feel , you said your doctor does not really believe in meds to much right ? So I could understand why you feel bad for asking him , you don't feel comfortable right ?

All you can do is try . But make sure you explain why you are asking so he will understand . Sleep aids and anxiety meds are not pain pills so maybe your Pod will understand ....

YOu are not a failure for asking for help when you need it .

I am glad you feel comfortable to talk about it . I went years where I did not want to talk about it . I just did not want people to think I was crazy or that I just wanted to take pills . If I had a choice I wish I did not have anxiety or pain and not have to take anything . I do get blood tests to check to make sure my liver is ok .

Much love sweet friend ,Laurie R

PS I so understand where you are coming from ..:)

Diane R on 11/10/01 at 17:27 (064624)

Taking medication for anxiety or depression is no different than taking medication for any other disorder including antiinflammatories for PF. Anxiety and depression are usually caused by chemical imbalances in the brain. The medication fixes the imbalance.

I take Prozac and Buspar. Without them I am irritable and can't sleep (among other things). With them I am calm and sleep like a baby. My husband takes Prozac and Xanax. Without them he is a wreck: major anxiety attacks, alcoholism, terrible temper. With them he is funny and kind and calm. One of my sons takes Paxil. Without it he is suicidal. With it he successfully holds a job and is happy.

Noone wants to take medicine if it is not needed. If it is needed you will benefit from it. And remember, antidepressants have no effect on you if you are not depressed since there is no imbalance to fix.

Re: Pain management doc

BrianG on 11/10/01 at 17:34 (064625)

Hi Tammy,

Lots of good advice here. Myself, I would look up what I was thinking I might need on the net. I'd then make photo copies of the information for my doctor. I'd tell him that I knew of other people taking these meds, whould he think about helping me out. Your Pod is obviously afraid to prescribe meds, so I think you are going to have to find another doctor. Do you know that my family doc told me he had only 1/2 day of pain management in med school! Boy, that is an injustice.

I would start with your family doctor. It's time for you to develop a relationship with a doctor that can help you with a variety of ailments. If the famly doc does't feel comfertable prescribing meds, I would advise a pain management specialist. These are real doctors, whose specialty is helping people with all types of pain issues. You can usually get a referral from yor own doc, or a local hospital.

I just would like to say a couple things about addiction. I read that word too much on this forum. We have to realize that people in legitamate pain will not become addicted, less that 1% does. Addicts live for the buzz. Pain sufferes will not even feel a buzz when they take the pain meds. We don't crave them, it's just another pill to take. If, and when its time to get off them, it is a very simple process to taper dowm. Every day, or week, however the doctor decides, you will take a little less. In might take anywhere from a couple of weeks, to a couple of months. In most cases the side effects are hardly even noticed.

There are many, many people out there that are being helped with pain, anxiety, and depression meds. There is absolutely no reason to be afraid to ask for them if you need them. Any doctor with a little compassion and smarts can weed out the drug seekers from the legitimate pain sufferers. Do not let a few bad apples keep you from asking for help.

OK, I'm off the soap box again :*)
BCG

Laurie R on 11/11/01 at 11:29 (064671)

Dear Diane , Thank you so much for your post. I am so happy to hear that these meds are helping you and your family. I have had panic disorder for years , I just got the nerve up to talk to my Pod about it a few months ago. He understood very well and did not think I was crazy , even tho I thought I was crazy . Then with my foot just getting worse all the time , the anxiety went nuts. So I have been taking a very low dose of Xanax and WOW what a difference . I can not tell you how much this has helped me with my once out of control anxiety . I am not depressed at all , I think I deal with the pain pretty well, it was the anxiety I could not control.

I just wish I would of asked for something a long time ago. No one likes to take meds , but their are meds out there to help us ....

I am a calm person now , what a difference .....

Thank you again for your wonderful post , also thank you Brian for your post , I agree with you ....

Laurie R

Tammie on 11/12/01 at 19:10 (064743)

Well I just had time to read thease posts and they are all full of information! I thank each of u for taking the time to share a bit ! I have a Brother in law who is a psychiatrist,I guess that alone leaves a sour taste as tho he is most likly a good dr. I just dont care for some things I have observed. I feel like this is not the route I want to go. I have learned alot and am ready to take some actions as I want some sleep and more then a couple of hours here and there and want my feet to not hurt so much that all I focus on is will I be able to move or not or will I feel the nervy stuff or will I have a burning throbbing foot forever! Thank u all and will think about things now! Hugs to u!

john h on 11/13/01 at 11:17 (064751)

Tammie: I would not hesitate to talk to my 'brother in law' about anxiety medications as this condition is very treatable with medications and in many instances is the fastest method of relief. My uncle is a Psychaitrist and I lived with him for some years. It is amazing how quickly some people can find rapid relief from very severe anxiety. As Dr Zuckerman has pointed out Psycharatrist are the specialist in these medications although many family doctors do dispense them. You should not needlessly suffer when help is as close as your brother in law.