Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shock Wave Works !!!

Posted by Lis E. on 11/09/01 at 03:03 (064469)

I live in Rome, Italy. Shock Wave is used more frequently in Europe. I was a virutal cripple for one entire year with PF until I found out about shock wave treatments. I discovered there is are different machines. One produces very strong shocks and is done in one treatment and in the USA they use anesthesia while in Erupe they often don't. I did not want any needles into my already damaged tendon.
I opted for the smaller machine and had one treatment per week for 5 weeks - without anesthesia - I listened to loud music. The sessions lasted about a half hour (2700 clicks - you control it yourself). It is fairly painful. The more it is perfectly centered at the injury the more painful it is but you are only cheating yourself if you don't have the doctor align it 'dead center'. My foot would get a little reddened and a little swollen but the after effects were no noticeable otherwise.
With every treatment I got better. It can take up to two months after treatments stop in order to heal completely. I am now at the 7th week and I am very much improved. I don't have that horrible pain walking after getting out of bed. The pain I do still have is much more diffuse and not acute. I can stay out walking a lot longer than before. I am most definitely on the mend. In September I was almost at the point of getting crutches or using a wheel chair for excursions. I had gained weight from inactivity and my entire life was ruined because I could not walk further than from the car to sit down in a restaurant (and even that was sometimes too much pain to endure).
It works. The way it actually works is that the shock wave machine is actually causing minor damage at the injury site and this minor injury is causing the healing process to be stimulated.
Do not have surgery!!! It does not work and causes more damage to the site. Shock wave is non invasive and although somewhat painful for 30 minutes, after every session you will feel more and more free of pain.
It works !!!
Lis (loiserskine@tin.it)

Re: Shock Wave Works !!!

Jane S on 11/09/01 at 21:48 (064564)

My doctor told me about this but the closest facility for this treatment is 6 hours away from me.....option for surgery is getting to be more of a reality for me....but still trying at all costs to avoid it. Thanks for your information.

BrianG on 11/10/01 at 18:43 (064636)

Hi Lis, you are so right about the US being behind Europe with the shock wave treatments. We have the govt. (FDA) looking out for us. Trials, trials, amd more trials. What type of machine did you use? And what were the total costs? Maybe I could get the Concorde to give me a freebie flight. Or maybe John h could set it up. hahahaaa. Thanks for the info

BCG

Necee on 11/14/01 at 12:53 (064781)

Congratulations Lis! I love to read success stories. I haven't had ESWT but would love the opportunity. I have a painful heelspur and life is rough with foot pain as you very well know.
Thanks for telling us your story and I hope that you continue to improve and can get on with your life without foot pain. I agree with you about surgery, unless theres no other option and all other treatments have been exhausted I would never have it or recommend it.
All the best to you,
Necee in Texas

Jane S on 11/09/01 at 21:48 (064564)

My doctor told me about this but the closest facility for this treatment is 6 hours away from me.....option for surgery is getting to be more of a reality for me....but still trying at all costs to avoid it. Thanks for your information.

BrianG on 11/10/01 at 18:43 (064636)

Hi Lis, you are so right about the US being behind Europe with the shock wave treatments. We have the govt. (FDA) looking out for us. Trials, trials, amd more trials. What type of machine did you use? And what were the total costs? Maybe I could get the Concorde to give me a freebie flight. Or maybe John h could set it up. hahahaaa. Thanks for the info

BCG

Necee on 11/14/01 at 12:53 (064781)

Congratulations Lis! I love to read success stories. I haven't had ESWT but would love the opportunity. I have a painful heelspur and life is rough with foot pain as you very well know.
Thanks for telling us your story and I hope that you continue to improve and can get on with your life without foot pain. I agree with you about surgery, unless theres no other option and all other treatments have been exhausted I would never have it or recommend it.
All the best to you,
Necee in Texas