Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

foot casted??

Posted by colleen on 11/09/01 at 08:06 (064476)

any one else hear ever ahve foot casted, today i got my foot put in a fiberglass leg cast from toes to just below my knee, she casted my foot at a slight angle pointed down. i must use crutches and this cast fopr 6 weeks. its driving me crazy already!! she left all my toes just hanging from the cast and it seems to alread y dig my little toe twice so far i have bumped my toes into stairs not to good keerping it up yet! she advised me to always wigggle my toes to keep circulation its driving me crazy tring to move foot and cast wont budge, at least its pretty purple color, need to get a pedicure or something to match my toes, any suggestions for a casted leg
thanks

Re: What is the casting for?

Carmen H on 11/09/01 at 08:17 (064478)

You didn't mention what you are casted for? PF? If so why did she cast you at an angle?

colleen on 11/09/01 at 08:37 (064484)

oh yes, im being treated for PF and she casted the foot to keep it immobile and the slight angle is to keep me off it:)

Andrea R. on 11/09/01 at 09:04 (064486)

Colleen,

I had a cast for PF for about five weeks. What I don't understand is why the toes are pointed down. Mine was cast at the same angle as a night splint would be with the knee slightly bent if my foot was flat on the floor. My ortho explained it allowed the PF to rest but to keep it in a slightly flexed position. I also had a 'shoe' for walking.

I found a great way to deal with the itching or sweating problem under the cast. I got a can of the computer dusting gas and a long piece of semi flexible tubing. The flexible tubing doesn't scratch you and case possible sores like a coat hanger would. You can feed the tubing under the cast but be sure you don't catch is on the liner or padding.

You need to be careful to keep the canned air upright and use only small bursts of air so you don't get frostbite.

Andrea

Did you go to an orthopedist or podiatrist?

Re: foot casted??

PatC on 11/09/01 at 12:46 (064522)

I was in a cast for five weeks, but it was a walking cast and I had a shoe to wear too. My big problem was that about the fourth week, I started experiencing swelling in my calf and foot. After cast was taked off, I continued to have swelling in my ankle. It has increasingly gotten better, but if I'm on my feet too long, I still have swelling. Try to keep your foot elevated as much as possible. Good luck!

Re: Agree with Andrea

Carmen H on 11/09/01 at 13:42 (064526)

Colleen I guess I would ask your doctor why she didn't flex your foot. As the foot being angled down shortens the Fascia which is exactly what you don't want. Your foot should be in a flexed position if you just have plain ol PF. Call your doctor immediately and ask her about the position of the foot.
Tell her you're a grown up (Aren't you? ;-))and can stay off the foot if you are supposed to...the angle makes NO sense to me.

Re: Agree with Andrea and Carman

Anthony P on 11/09/01 at 21:29 (064561)

I'm in a cast now due to surgery and I had another two monthes ago the foot
should be flexed ,be sure to keep foot elevated.

Jane S on 11/09/01 at 22:16 (064573)

My doctor told me this may be a possibility for me too....It's the only way I will get the 'needed rest'....in the healing process..

sandy h. on 11/09/01 at 23:40 (064583)

So did any of you benefit from the cast? It doesn't get high ratings according to the front page of this site but I'll give it a try if need be. I mean don't all the muscles atrophy making your whole foot even weaker afterwards. Doesn't the lack of blood flow slow the healing process? Is it something I should consider (into ninth month with PF now)

JudyS on 11/10/01 at 10:46 (064605)

Colleen - I'm just sort of following some of the others' thoughts here - I'm curious as to why your doc didn't set your cast with your foot in the neutral position? (Neutral is, more or less, your leg out straight with your FootFlexed towards the ceiling a bit). The reason for the cast is to primarily keep you off your foot but it is also used to keep your Planter flexed at the same time. You might want to phone her and just ask her, out of curiosity, if she considers your casted foot to be in that neutral position.

JudyS on 11/10/01 at 10:57 (064611)

Sandy, the cast is always worth a try. The trick is to actually keep your weight off it. Because we're human, we tend to go ahead and walk on the darn thing which tends to negate its purpose.

JeanM on 11/10/01 at 15:56 (064620)

I just want to say that is the most creative suggestion I have ever heard of for the itching. I have been in a cast since Tuesday, for Posterior Tibial Tendonitis, and boy does it itch!!!!! While I have considered the coat hanger, your idea sounds pretty good and much safer. This is the second time I have had it casted in the last eight months for this. The first time it did wonders and even felt pretty good for a awhile. Unfortunaly I am self employed and on my feet a lot so it came back. This time the cast is to get immediate relief and rest. Being rechecked on Monday and if its still as painful he will schedule an MRI. Hoping that won't be necessary so I am doing my best to stay off it although I do have permission to walk with one crutch if it feels ok. But thanks again for the suggestion for the itching, I think I'll give it a blow :)!

john h on 11/10/01 at 18:35 (064634)

sort of going with judy's thought here. you generally wear a night splint in the neutral or sligtly dorsiflexed position. This should be (i think) the same way you would cast the foot.

Carmen H on 11/09/01 at 08:17 (064478)

You didn't mention what you are casted for? PF? If so why did she cast you at an angle?

colleen on 11/09/01 at 08:37 (064484)

oh yes, im being treated for PF and she casted the foot to keep it immobile and the slight angle is to keep me off it:)

Andrea R. on 11/09/01 at 09:04 (064486)

Colleen,

I had a cast for PF for about five weeks. What I don't understand is why the toes are pointed down. Mine was cast at the same angle as a night splint would be with the knee slightly bent if my foot was flat on the floor. My ortho explained it allowed the PF to rest but to keep it in a slightly flexed position. I also had a 'shoe' for walking.

I found a great way to deal with the itching or sweating problem under the cast. I got a can of the computer dusting gas and a long piece of semi flexible tubing. The flexible tubing doesn't scratch you and case possible sores like a coat hanger would. You can feed the tubing under the cast but be sure you don't catch is on the liner or padding.

You need to be careful to keep the canned air upright and use only small bursts of air so you don't get frostbite.

Andrea

Did you go to an orthopedist or podiatrist?

PatC on 11/09/01 at 12:46 (064522)

I was in a cast for five weeks, but it was a walking cast and I had a shoe to wear too. My big problem was that about the fourth week, I started experiencing swelling in my calf and foot. After cast was taked off, I continued to have swelling in my ankle. It has increasingly gotten better, but if I'm on my feet too long, I still have swelling. Try to keep your foot elevated as much as possible. Good luck!

Re: Agree with Andrea

Carmen H on 11/09/01 at 13:42 (064526)

Colleen I guess I would ask your doctor why she didn't flex your foot. As the foot being angled down shortens the Fascia which is exactly what you don't want. Your foot should be in a flexed position if you just have plain ol PF. Call your doctor immediately and ask her about the position of the foot.
Tell her you're a grown up (Aren't you? ;-))and can stay off the foot if you are supposed to...the angle makes NO sense to me.

Re: Agree with Andrea and Carman

Anthony P on 11/09/01 at 21:29 (064561)

I'm in a cast now due to surgery and I had another two monthes ago the foot
should be flexed ,be sure to keep foot elevated.

Jane S on 11/09/01 at 22:16 (064573)

My doctor told me this may be a possibility for me too....It's the only way I will get the 'needed rest'....in the healing process..

sandy h. on 11/09/01 at 23:40 (064583)

So did any of you benefit from the cast? It doesn't get high ratings according to the front page of this site but I'll give it a try if need be. I mean don't all the muscles atrophy making your whole foot even weaker afterwards. Doesn't the lack of blood flow slow the healing process? Is it something I should consider (into ninth month with PF now)

JudyS on 11/10/01 at 10:46 (064605)

Colleen - I'm just sort of following some of the others' thoughts here - I'm curious as to why your doc didn't set your cast with your foot in the neutral position? (Neutral is, more or less, your leg out straight with your FootFlexed towards the ceiling a bit). The reason for the cast is to primarily keep you off your foot but it is also used to keep your Planter flexed at the same time. You might want to phone her and just ask her, out of curiosity, if she considers your casted foot to be in that neutral position.

JudyS on 11/10/01 at 10:57 (064611)

Sandy, the cast is always worth a try. The trick is to actually keep your weight off it. Because we're human, we tend to go ahead and walk on the darn thing which tends to negate its purpose.

JeanM on 11/10/01 at 15:56 (064620)

I just want to say that is the most creative suggestion I have ever heard of for the itching. I have been in a cast since Tuesday, for Posterior Tibial Tendonitis, and boy does it itch!!!!! While I have considered the coat hanger, your idea sounds pretty good and much safer. This is the second time I have had it casted in the last eight months for this. The first time it did wonders and even felt pretty good for a awhile. Unfortunaly I am self employed and on my feet a lot so it came back. This time the cast is to get immediate relief and rest. Being rechecked on Monday and if its still as painful he will schedule an MRI. Hoping that won't be necessary so I am doing my best to stay off it although I do have permission to walk with one crutch if it feels ok. But thanks again for the suggestion for the itching, I think I'll give it a blow :)!

john h on 11/10/01 at 18:35 (064634)

sort of going with judy's thought here. you generally wear a night splint in the neutral or sligtly dorsiflexed position. This should be (i think) the same way you would cast the foot.