Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone try acupuncture or reflectology for PF

Posted by Jane S on 11/09/01 at 21:58 (064566)

Since I'm soo close to surgery and am trying to avoid it at all cost.....these two things (acupuncture and relectology) were suggested to me. Just curious if anyone has given either of these two things a try. Thanks

Re: Anyone try acupuncture or reflectology for PF

BrianG on 11/10/01 at 18:19 (064630)

I had 5-6 accupuncture treatments, by a western style practioner. Wish I could have found someone from the Orient. Didn't help me at all. It has helped some people though. I'd try everyting before surgery, it is so final! Has your surgeon given you prior referances to talk with? I wouldn't do it again without finding out for myself if the doctor really is, who he says he is. Good luck

BCG

john h on 11/10/01 at 18:32 (064633)

Brian: I had 5 treatments of accupuncture. My doctor had an engineering degree from the U. of Pittsburg and a Doctorate in Oriental Medicine from Miami (I never knew they offered such a degree ). Alas, it did not cure me and my doctor was not from the orient. Now for the important part! My doctor was about 33, blonde, and drop dead gorgeous. This was all great but she also inflected much pain including putting those liitle burning cinders on you. Needles between my toes and she did not look nearly as gorgeous. I finally thought she must hate men the way she was inflicting pain on me and decided to make like Hank Snow 'I'm Moving On'.

Julie on 11/11/01 at 09:34 (064663)

Jane, I think acupuncture would certainly be worth trying, as long as you can find a properly trained practitioner. I'm less sure about reflexology. But before you go in for either: who have you seen, and what treatments have been suggested to you - and have you persevered with them? Rest is important, but the most important thing is to identify the cause of the problem and deal with it. A reputable podiatrist who has the patience to help you for as long as it takes, as well as the necessary skills, should be first on your agenda if you aren't already under the care of one.

BrianG on 11/10/01 at 18:19 (064630)

I had 5-6 accupuncture treatments, by a western style practioner. Wish I could have found someone from the Orient. Didn't help me at all. It has helped some people though. I'd try everyting before surgery, it is so final! Has your surgeon given you prior referances to talk with? I wouldn't do it again without finding out for myself if the doctor really is, who he says he is. Good luck

BCG

john h on 11/10/01 at 18:32 (064633)

Brian: I had 5 treatments of accupuncture. My doctor had an engineering degree from the U. of Pittsburg and a Doctorate in Oriental Medicine from Miami (I never knew they offered such a degree ). Alas, it did not cure me and my doctor was not from the orient. Now for the important part! My doctor was about 33, blonde, and drop dead gorgeous. This was all great but she also inflected much pain including putting those liitle burning cinders on you. Needles between my toes and she did not look nearly as gorgeous. I finally thought she must hate men the way she was inflicting pain on me and decided to make like Hank Snow 'I'm Moving On'.

Julie on 11/11/01 at 09:34 (064663)

Jane, I think acupuncture would certainly be worth trying, as long as you can find a properly trained practitioner. I'm less sure about reflexology. But before you go in for either: who have you seen, and what treatments have been suggested to you - and have you persevered with them? Rest is important, but the most important thing is to identify the cause of the problem and deal with it. A reputable podiatrist who has the patience to help you for as long as it takes, as well as the necessary skills, should be first on your agenda if you aren't already under the care of one.