Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

back of heel pain

Posted by DaveP on 11/10/01 at 10:54 (064608)

I started having pain in the back of my left heel, about 1 inch from the bottom of my foot. There is a very tender spot, but little if any swelling or color. I started taking up hiking, and was up to 30-40 miles/week; and about 50lbs overweight. The pain is worse first thing in the morning, gets better during the day. I have good, comfortable shoes with good insoles; but just about any shoe bothers me/rubs the back of my heel. Currently I'm icing the area, taking ibuprofin. Am I treating this injury correctly, and how soon could I begin to get better? Any suggestions?

Re: back of heel pain

Diane R on 11/10/01 at 17:35 (064626)

This one I know about! That is achilles tendinitis. Icing and gentle non-weight bearing stretching combined with as much rest as you can will help. I was prescribed an orthotic that raised the heel to take stress off the tendon. Don't go higher than half an inch, though or you'll make it worse. Good luck!

DaveP on 11/11/01 at 07:39 (064655)

Thanks Diane; do you know what causes this? How long did it take for your foot to heal?

Diane R on 11/11/01 at 10:22 (064665)

I had a bout with it 3 or 4 years ago when I tried running. It was a short experiment since I developed not only achilles tendinitis but also shin splints. It cleared up fairly quickly, a couple of months if I remember rightly. Then summer of 2000 I sprained my ankle badly in a fall and it came back with gusto. I just finished PT for it which I don't think helped much. I still have stiffness and some pain. My PF developed last winter from the AT: the tight achilles tendon affected my gait and stretched the bottom of my foot. That caused me to limp which put more stress on the other foot so that one developed the same problems. Thankfully, rest and Birkenstock have reduced things to tolerable as long as I don't get crazy. I'm even starting to walk for exercise again so things are definitely looking up. Good luck.

JAM on 11/12/01 at 09:25 (064713)

The back of my heels are in so much pain too. I went to the doc. and I have a spur on both feet on the back of my heels.
I am now wearing heel lifts and doing a lot of streaching but I am still in so much pain.

Diane R on 11/10/01 at 17:35 (064626)

This one I know about! That is achilles tendinitis. Icing and gentle non-weight bearing stretching combined with as much rest as you can will help. I was prescribed an orthotic that raised the heel to take stress off the tendon. Don't go higher than half an inch, though or you'll make it worse. Good luck!

DaveP on 11/11/01 at 07:39 (064655)

Thanks Diane; do you know what causes this? How long did it take for your foot to heal?

Diane R on 11/11/01 at 10:22 (064665)

I had a bout with it 3 or 4 years ago when I tried running. It was a short experiment since I developed not only achilles tendinitis but also shin splints. It cleared up fairly quickly, a couple of months if I remember rightly. Then summer of 2000 I sprained my ankle badly in a fall and it came back with gusto. I just finished PT for it which I don't think helped much. I still have stiffness and some pain. My PF developed last winter from the AT: the tight achilles tendon affected my gait and stretched the bottom of my foot. That caused me to limp which put more stress on the other foot so that one developed the same problems. Thankfully, rest and Birkenstock have reduced things to tolerable as long as I don't get crazy. I'm even starting to walk for exercise again so things are definitely looking up. Good luck.

JAM on 11/12/01 at 09:25 (064713)

The back of my heels are in so much pain too. I went to the doc. and I have a spur on both feet on the back of my heels.
I am now wearing heel lifts and doing a lot of streaching but I am still in so much pain.