Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Pain... "Ouch!" (general questions from an athlete)

Posted by Lars S. on 11/10/01 at 22:18 (064647)

About 3 months ago I started experiencing pain in my left foot, mostly emanating from the sole near the heel. I am a runner, but this is the first time something like this ever happened to me. Thinking maybe I just pulled something, I stopped exercising for a good month, but the pain hasn't abated. Could this be PF? I am making a doctor's appt., but haven't seen anyone yet.

If this is PF, can I continue to exercise? Albeit with pain, it has been difficult to do NOTHING... am too used to working out. How have other athletic types fared? And does PF eventually go away, or is there a cure beyond surgery? Has anyone had luck with orthotics? My feet are fairly flat... maybe those would help.

Specifically for runners: How do you deal with this?

Thank you all for your help. I'm a little worried and appreciate your input.

Re: Heel Pain... "Ouch!" (general questions from an athlete)

john h on 11/11/01 at 08:52 (064661)

you beging by not running until the pain abates. start by reading scott's book. many of us 'were' runners and we continued to run into PF Hell.

RACHAEL T. on 11/11/01 at 23:28 (064707)

Yes, this unfortunately, is how my PF began......& then, it got worse - as I thought it was just a stone bruise or something minor. I am a prof. horse trainer - using my irons got to be extremely painful with posting. I would ice, stretch, tape, read Scott's book at this site, & take anti-inflam. pills; I would not run till I was seen by a doctor & well on my way to a recovery. I had several cort. injections & they helped; but not long term. Although, some people seem to be helped a great deal by them. I hope you are one of them!

john h on 11/11/01 at 08:52 (064661)

you beging by not running until the pain abates. start by reading scott's book. many of us 'were' runners and we continued to run into PF Hell.

RACHAEL T. on 11/11/01 at 23:28 (064707)

Yes, this unfortunately, is how my PF began......& then, it got worse - as I thought it was just a stone bruise or something minor. I am a prof. horse trainer - using my irons got to be extremely painful with posting. I would ice, stretch, tape, read Scott's book at this site, & take anti-inflam. pills; I would not run till I was seen by a doctor & well on my way to a recovery. I had several cort. injections & they helped; but not long term. Although, some people seem to be helped a great deal by them. I hope you are one of them!