Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: moving day came and went and i'm still alive!

Posted by Julie on 11/13/01 at 03:25 (064748)

Hello Nancy! I was away over the weekend and have just caught up with this thread. I am so happy for you! Congratulations on a Move Well Done. Take your time sorting out - you're going to live there for a long time, and there's no rush. If it were me, I'd be out there on the beach at least half of every day, just breathing...

I loved your description of the light from the ocean being there even when you're not outside. It sounds just wonderful.

Keep us posted. Oh - and get yourself a corner of that mattress and get some sleep.

Re: moving day came and went and i'm still alive! -- to julie and other buddies

nancy s. on 11/13/01 at 16:32 (064755)

thank you, julie! this move so far has made every day an adventure, and i'm enjoying every minute of it. this morning i woke up at 3 and was too excited to go back to sleep. a little after 6 i turned on the tv to watch the news and they were doing the weather, showing on the screen a panoramic view of the pre-sunrise 7-mile beach, all pink and orange and lilac colored. i thought 'wow, that's beautiful,' and then i realized Hey, i can walk for one minute and be on that beach and see that sunrise, scheduled for 6:32!
so that's what i did -- i went for my walk right then. it was almost low tide, and that's the most interesting time on the beach: some nice big multi-rock formations are standing handsomely above the water; many ducks and gulls and sandpipers are hanging out; shells are periscoping out from half under the sand. the sky was clear in some directions and full of wonderful cloud forms of every shape imaginable in other directions. and the colors....

i walked right along the water for about half an hour, and midway through, the sun peeked out over the horizon and very soon was fully out and washing me with golden light. it's the sunrise of my life that i'll remember more than any other -- because i was Walking as it happened and you know for so long i never thought i'd be able to, and also because i have a new life on the very edge of the continent, and both of these things thrilled me beyond words.

then i spent the rest of today at my favorite twice-monthly auction, talking and laughing with my old antiquing friends and making a few purchases for the store, which i hope to open before christmas. people in this neighborhood are so nice and friendly! yesterday my husband went out and picked up a woman -- jeannie, ninety years old, with her collie jj. he brought her home for a visit. she's about the tenth neighbor we've met, all of whom have been really welcoming and seem to look forward to having a neighborhood affordable antiques store where they're always welcome to just come look and visit.

i haven't been able to email much -- we are still living in happy chaos (and a little squalor, which we're working hard on!) -- so i've just posted here and there and sent off very short emails now and then.

today what little we had set up in the house is piled in a corner, because we're taking all the floors down to the original boards and cleaning like crazy, and then will be sealing and painting. in fact, i came home to find the computer completely disconnected, and i just strung it back together to post this. i owe emails and am thinking of each of you every day. however, the computer will be disconnected now for several days while we work on the house and have things piled up in a corner.

so i just wanted to thank you, julie, and say hi to all, and as soon as possible i'll be back online and read any emails that have come in and finally get down to writing some real ones myself.

talk to you later, and i'm sending inspirational vibes to all friends' feet!
nancy

Julie on 11/14/01 at 10:04 (064777)

Thanks, Nancy. I was right there with you on your wonderful sunrise walk. I think I'll let you get on with your floorboards etc without me, though! But I'll be thinking of you and looking forward to when you get your computer plugged in again

Keep smiling, and don't miss a sunrise.

Re: To Nancy S. regarding your move and..... antiques!

Necee on 11/14/01 at 12:42 (064780)

Congratulations Nancy on your successful move. I loved reading about your early morning walk along the beach at sunrise. I visualized every detail you gave, it sounds so beautiful! Here in Texas we have a farm that sits high on a hill and I have a perfect view of the majestic sunsets. That is my favorite time of day and try to never miss watching that glorious sun go down.
As for antiques.....are you opening a store there? As you might know I love antiques especially American and also primitives. I work for an antique auction co and its so exciting to see what comes through from week to week. I'd love to know more about what type of antiques you like or collect so please post when you have the time. Good luck with your restoration project, I think its great that your taking something old and giving it life again! Thats something that my husband and I enjoy doing also. We salvage old building materials and make use of them. There's just something about old wood floors, fixtures, etc. Like the old saying goes, 'They don't make it like they use to.'
Anyway best of luck to you as you begin this new chapter in your life and lets keep in touch.
Happy trails,
Necee

nancy s. on 11/13/01 at 16:32 (064755)

thank you, julie! this move so far has made every day an adventure, and i'm enjoying every minute of it. this morning i woke up at 3 and was too excited to go back to sleep. a little after 6 i turned on the tv to watch the news and they were doing the weather, showing on the screen a panoramic view of the pre-sunrise 7-mile beach, all pink and orange and lilac colored. i thought 'wow, that's beautiful,' and then i realized Hey, i can walk for one minute and be on that beach and see that sunrise, scheduled for 6:32!
so that's what i did -- i went for my walk right then. it was almost low tide, and that's the most interesting time on the beach: some nice big multi-rock formations are standing handsomely above the water; many ducks and gulls and sandpipers are hanging out; shells are periscoping out from half under the sand. the sky was clear in some directions and full of wonderful cloud forms of every shape imaginable in other directions. and the colors....

i walked right along the water for about half an hour, and midway through, the sun peeked out over the horizon and very soon was fully out and washing me with golden light. it's the sunrise of my life that i'll remember more than any other -- because i was Walking as it happened and you know for so long i never thought i'd be able to, and also because i have a new life on the very edge of the continent, and both of these things thrilled me beyond words.

then i spent the rest of today at my favorite twice-monthly auction, talking and laughing with my old antiquing friends and making a few purchases for the store, which i hope to open before christmas. people in this neighborhood are so nice and friendly! yesterday my husband went out and picked up a woman -- jeannie, ninety years old, with her collie jj. he brought her home for a visit. she's about the tenth neighbor we've met, all of whom have been really welcoming and seem to look forward to having a neighborhood affordable antiques store where they're always welcome to just come look and visit.

i haven't been able to email much -- we are still living in happy chaos (and a little squalor, which we're working hard on!) -- so i've just posted here and there and sent off very short emails now and then.

today what little we had set up in the house is piled in a corner, because we're taking all the floors down to the original boards and cleaning like crazy, and then will be sealing and painting. in fact, i came home to find the computer completely disconnected, and i just strung it back together to post this. i owe emails and am thinking of each of you every day. however, the computer will be disconnected now for several days while we work on the house and have things piled up in a corner.

so i just wanted to thank you, julie, and say hi to all, and as soon as possible i'll be back online and read any emails that have come in and finally get down to writing some real ones myself.

talk to you later, and i'm sending inspirational vibes to all friends' feet!
nancy

Julie on 11/14/01 at 10:04 (064777)

Thanks, Nancy. I was right there with you on your wonderful sunrise walk. I think I'll let you get on with your floorboards etc without me, though! But I'll be thinking of you and looking forward to when you get your computer plugged in again

Keep smiling, and don't miss a sunrise.

Re: To Nancy S. regarding your move and..... antiques!

Necee on 11/14/01 at 12:42 (064780)

Congratulations Nancy on your successful move. I loved reading about your early morning walk along the beach at sunrise. I visualized every detail you gave, it sounds so beautiful! Here in Texas we have a farm that sits high on a hill and I have a perfect view of the majestic sunsets. That is my favorite time of day and try to never miss watching that glorious sun go down.
As for antiques.....are you opening a store there? As you might know I love antiques especially American and also primitives. I work for an antique auction co and its so exciting to see what comes through from week to week. I'd love to know more about what type of antiques you like or collect so please post when you have the time. Good luck with your restoration project, I think its great that your taking something old and giving it life again! Thats something that my husband and I enjoy doing also. We salvage old building materials and make use of them. There's just something about old wood floors, fixtures, etc. Like the old saying goes, 'They don't make it like they use to.'
Anyway best of luck to you as you begin this new chapter in your life and lets keep in touch.
Happy trails,
Necee