Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need advice re orthotics

Posted by Joann A on 11/13/01 at 19:06 (064757)

Stumbled across this site a few days ago to find out what I have been experiencing the last 3 months on one of my feet and have gotten lots of good tips that seem to help temporarily. Today, I decided to see a podiatrist. Had x rays taken, a cortisone shot and taping and an appointment to get orthotics. Price quoted was$800. is that about right?? Seems high to me and from what I've read on this board, it doesn't seem to be very effective. Need advice from those who have had past experience with this device. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Re: Need advice re orthotics

scott r on 11/13/01 at 19:28 (064759)

If you're being charged $400 for orthotics, I would say you're being ripped off. I would call $800 'rape'.

BrianG on 11/13/01 at 21:39 (064764)

Hi Joann,

I had two pairs of hard, rgid, orthotics I could not wear. I then got a pair of Sporthotics, from
http://www.langerbiomechanics.com
They are semi-rigid and quite comfertable. They haven't cured me, but at least they feel good to wear. A Podiatrist, or other professional, will have to cast your feet for them, and they are not all that cheap, at $375 a pair. Good luck

BCG

D.Thomas on 11/14/01 at 08:32 (064769)

I would say in my experience that custom orthotics average cost would be about $260 - $300. I would say $800 is a complete joke. Find another doctor who is not trying to rip off his patients.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/14/01 at 08:35 (064770)

Was the $800 for all that you had done including the orthosis? Or for the orthosis alone?

If it is for the orthosis alone, I would say it is to much. The national average for a pair of custom orthotics is around $400.

What is your diagnosis? Are you in super mega pain, or is the pain 'tolerable'? This matters in material choice as well as how the orthosis should be made.

If I were you, I would get a second opinion. You may even want to consider seeing a pedorthist. Only use a board certified pedorthist. There are others out there that think they know what they are doing, but are not certified. Pedorthists are trained in foot diseases and mechanics and know how to treat conditions diagnosed by a physician. Basically, we are pharmacists for the feet. We fill orthosis prescriptions.

You can find a pedorthist, or C.Ped in your area by going to the message board home, and clicking 'index' for the orthotics board. Click on my name and it will take you to my web site. Scroll down and you will find a link titled 'locate a c.ped', the go from there.

Where are you located? That way, I can look it up for you if you have trouble.
Richard Graham, C.Ped

D.Thomas on 11/14/01 at 08:38 (064771)

And if he try's to give you a reason they are expenisve becuase they are advanced or special that you can't get anywhere else, don't buy it for one second. I have been down that path before. Some of them are like used car salesman. Check with Richard on this site, his business is orthotics.

D.Thomas on 11/14/01 at 08:41 (064772)

Hehe. As I write, you already responded. What a crack up.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/14/01 at 09:49 (064774)

Ha ha...I noticed that we resoponded at the same time.. :-)
Richard

Dawn on 11/16/01 at 00:22 (064855)

You can get custom orthotics for $130 at http://www.customshoeinserts.com , my heel pain is 80% better with them. Exactly like what I paid $350 for from my Podiatrist 3 years ago.

Re: is dawn a spammer?

scott r on 11/16/01 at 01:17 (064857)

Dawn, we don't look kindly upon advertisers pretending to be patients. It's called fraud. You would have had better luck getting sales if you had told us you were affiliated with the custom insert company.

BG CPed on 11/18/01 at 12:34 (064947)

Nice vieled spam. They may be just like what you paid 350 from your posiatrist because thay are both plastic. Doing this at home without an eval and either self molding or taking an impression of yourself is like saying you gave yourself a back massage and it cost alot less than the therapist charges.

My suggestion would be that you also have a on line form that the pt can fill out and you can have a Doc at your lab diagnose and treat you without seeing you. Maybe call it Miss Cleo's Psychic Foot Clinic/Orthotic Lab

SHIRLEY K on 2/14/02 at 18:55 (073734)

dAWN,

How can they be custom if mail ordered?
Just curious.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/14/02 at 20:21 (073747)

Shirley,

Some companies send you the foam impression kit and you take an impression of your foot and mail it back to them, and then they make the orthotic. I have no idea how well this would work, but I know I'm enough of a klutz that I would never attempt it personally.

Next time you see a topic several pages back like this, feel free to start it again at the top of the message board. More people might see it there. :)

Carole C

scott r on 11/13/01 at 19:28 (064759)

If you're being charged $400 for orthotics, I would say you're being ripped off. I would call $800 'rape'.

BrianG on 11/13/01 at 21:39 (064764)

Hi Joann,

I had two pairs of hard, rgid, orthotics I could not wear. I then got a pair of Sporthotics, from
http://www.langerbiomechanics.com
They are semi-rigid and quite comfertable. They haven't cured me, but at least they feel good to wear. A Podiatrist, or other professional, will have to cast your feet for them, and they are not all that cheap, at $375 a pair. Good luck

BCG

D.Thomas on 11/14/01 at 08:32 (064769)

I would say in my experience that custom orthotics average cost would be about $260 - $300. I would say $800 is a complete joke. Find another doctor who is not trying to rip off his patients.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/14/01 at 08:35 (064770)

Was the $800 for all that you had done including the orthosis? Or for the orthosis alone?

If it is for the orthosis alone, I would say it is to much. The national average for a pair of custom orthotics is around $400.

What is your diagnosis? Are you in super mega pain, or is the pain 'tolerable'? This matters in material choice as well as how the orthosis should be made.

If I were you, I would get a second opinion. You may even want to consider seeing a pedorthist. Only use a board certified pedorthist. There are others out there that think they know what they are doing, but are not certified. Pedorthists are trained in foot diseases and mechanics and know how to treat conditions diagnosed by a physician. Basically, we are pharmacists for the feet. We fill orthosis prescriptions.

You can find a pedorthist, or C.Ped in your area by going to the message board home, and clicking 'index' for the orthotics board. Click on my name and it will take you to my web site. Scroll down and you will find a link titled 'locate a c.ped', the go from there.

Where are you located? That way, I can look it up for you if you have trouble.
Richard Graham, C.Ped

D.Thomas on 11/14/01 at 08:38 (064771)

And if he try's to give you a reason they are expenisve becuase they are advanced or special that you can't get anywhere else, don't buy it for one second. I have been down that path before. Some of them are like used car salesman. Check with Richard on this site, his business is orthotics.

D.Thomas on 11/14/01 at 08:41 (064772)

Hehe. As I write, you already responded. What a crack up.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/14/01 at 09:49 (064774)

Ha ha...I noticed that we resoponded at the same time.. :-)
Richard

Dawn on 11/16/01 at 00:22 (064855)

You can get custom orthotics for $130 at http://www.customshoeinserts.com , my heel pain is 80% better with them. Exactly like what I paid $350 for from my Podiatrist 3 years ago.

Re: is dawn a spammer?

scott r on 11/16/01 at 01:17 (064857)

Dawn, we don't look kindly upon advertisers pretending to be patients. It's called fraud. You would have had better luck getting sales if you had told us you were affiliated with the custom insert company.

BG CPed on 11/18/01 at 12:34 (064947)

Nice vieled spam. They may be just like what you paid 350 from your posiatrist because thay are both plastic. Doing this at home without an eval and either self molding or taking an impression of yourself is like saying you gave yourself a back massage and it cost alot less than the therapist charges.

My suggestion would be that you also have a on line form that the pt can fill out and you can have a Doc at your lab diagnose and treat you without seeing you. Maybe call it Miss Cleo's Psychic Foot Clinic/Orthotic Lab

SHIRLEY K on 2/14/02 at 18:55 (073734)

dAWN,

How can they be custom if mail ordered?
Just curious.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/14/02 at 20:21 (073747)

Shirley,

Some companies send you the foam impression kit and you take an impression of your foot and mail it back to them, and then they make the orthotic. I have no idea how well this would work, but I know I'm enough of a klutz that I would never attempt it personally.

Next time you see a topic several pages back like this, feel free to start it again at the top of the message board. More people might see it there. :)

Carole C