Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sesimoiditis

Posted by Valerie Porter-Hanson on 11/14/01 at 07:13 (064767)

I was diagnost with sesimoiditis in June of this year. My doctor informed me that it will never heal, but only that the inflamation and discomfort will eventually go away. Thus far, I have been on anti-inflammatories, very low-impact(incumbent bike) and weight training, and I also had a cortizone injection(which caused intense pain for 2 days-decided he hit a nerve). I am now using essential oils and my foot is feeling a bit better. The discomfort comes and goes and I would love to go running or take an aerobic class. I have now had sesimoiditis for 6 months! Oh, I also have arch supports for my tennis shoes and the shoes I walk in the most.
Any other reccomendations or is their a reccomended Podiatrist in SD?

Frustrated in SD!

Re: Sesimoiditis

Richard, C.Ped on 11/14/01 at 08:42 (064773)

Hi Valerie,
In my office, I have seen many athletes with sesimoiditis. When we make an orthosis for them, we use a basic full length orthosis and off load the first met. We build up around the first met head to allow the sesimoids to sit in a 'pocket' if you will, and distribute the pressure away. Proper arch support helps as well.

It is very a very simple orthosis to make. I hope this helps.
Richard, C.Ped

Linda on 11/28/01 at 06:09 (065477)

Hello Valerie!

I had my sesmoid bone taken out back in 1986. I used to do high impact aerobics,but stopped from the pain. When i had cortizone shots...etc...and everything else failed, I got it removed and have been pain free!

Linda

Richard, C.Ped on 11/14/01 at 08:42 (064773)

Hi Valerie,
In my office, I have seen many athletes with sesimoiditis. When we make an orthosis for them, we use a basic full length orthosis and off load the first met. We build up around the first met head to allow the sesimoids to sit in a 'pocket' if you will, and distribute the pressure away. Proper arch support helps as well.

It is very a very simple orthosis to make. I hope this helps.
Richard, C.Ped

Linda on 11/28/01 at 06:09 (065477)

Hello Valerie!

I had my sesmoid bone taken out back in 1986. I used to do high impact aerobics,but stopped from the pain. When i had cortizone shots...etc...and everything else failed, I got it removed and have been pain free!

Linda