Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

acupuntura as a treatment for plantar fasciitis

Posted by paul c on 11/14/01 at 07:17 (064768)

I have plantar fasciitis and despite 20 sessions of fisiotherapy,3 times daily application of ice packs, stretching exercises and inumerous anti inflamatory pills I still have not had any relief. At least five people have suggested that I try acupuntura ( none of the five has had plantar fasciitis but have had back, neck and other such pains for which they found relief).
Should I try acupuntura for my condition?
Thank you for your advice
Paul Crean

Re: acupuntura as a treatment for plantar fasciitis

susanm on 11/14/01 at 15:55 (064796)

Paul,

I have had acupuncture for severe foot pain and it has helped more than any thing else I have tried. My pain all started with a neuroma about two years ago. Nothing helped and I think I may have aggravated all sorts of nerves, muscles, tendons, etc. by simply hobbling aroung on two very painful feet. The last doctor I saw wanted to do surgery for tarsel tunnel syndrome. That's when I started researching. People on this message board convinced me that I probably don't have tts, and I think they are correct. My acupuncturist recommended 6 treatments then a reevaluation. By the sixth treatment, my improvement was amazing. I am not pain free, but many days I do not think about foot pain at all.

Find a good acupuncturist and give it a whirl. It's analgesic only (but that meant a lot to me). Also, statistics indicate that about 80% of patients respond well to acupuncture. But 20% reap no benefit at all.

Re: acupunture as a treatment for plantar fasciitis

Julie on 11/15/01 at 03:19 (064811)

I agree with Susan that you should consider trying acupuncture treatment, Paul. Pain relief is only one of its attributes. It works by stimulating points along the meridians, the channels through which energy flows, eliminating the blockages to the flow of energy. Both circulation and energy flow to the affected area are improved - so it isn't simply analgesic. Other treatments for PF - ESWT, ultrasound - work by stimulating blood flow to the fascia and thus kick-starting the natural healing process, so it isn't surprising that acupuncture can be effective.

I've had a good deal of success with acupuncture (not for PF) and I do think that if you can find a good practitioner you could well find it helpful. Of course there are no guarantees, and you do have to give it time - it isn't a magic bullet - but it's certainly worth considering.

Re: acupuntura as a treatment for plantar fasciitis

susanm on 11/14/01 at 15:55 (064796)

Paul,

I have had acupuncture for severe foot pain and it has helped more than any thing else I have tried. My pain all started with a neuroma about two years ago. Nothing helped and I think I may have aggravated all sorts of nerves, muscles, tendons, etc. by simply hobbling aroung on two very painful feet. The last doctor I saw wanted to do surgery for tarsel tunnel syndrome. That's when I started researching. People on this message board convinced me that I probably don't have tts, and I think they are correct. My acupuncturist recommended 6 treatments then a reevaluation. By the sixth treatment, my improvement was amazing. I am not pain free, but many days I do not think about foot pain at all.

Find a good acupuncturist and give it a whirl. It's analgesic only (but that meant a lot to me). Also, statistics indicate that about 80% of patients respond well to acupuncture. But 20% reap no benefit at all.

Re: acupunture as a treatment for plantar fasciitis

Julie on 11/15/01 at 03:19 (064811)

I agree with Susan that you should consider trying acupuncture treatment, Paul. Pain relief is only one of its attributes. It works by stimulating points along the meridians, the channels through which energy flows, eliminating the blockages to the flow of energy. Both circulation and energy flow to the affected area are improved - so it isn't simply analgesic. Other treatments for PF - ESWT, ultrasound - work by stimulating blood flow to the fascia and thus kick-starting the natural healing process, so it isn't surprising that acupuncture can be effective.

I've had a good deal of success with acupuncture (not for PF) and I do think that if you can find a good practitioner you could well find it helpful. Of course there are no guarantees, and you do have to give it time - it isn't a magic bullet - but it's certainly worth considering.