Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Arch pain with a lump

Posted by Wendy K on 11/14/01 at 18:58 (064799)

I am in good shape, not overweight and always been a runner. About a year ago, I severely sprained my left ankle. I didn't see a doctor for this as I have sprained the ankle countless times. About a month after the sprain, I developed a pain in my arch and a soft bump/lump on the arch of my foot. This eventually went away and I started running again. Over the past 6 months, I have been training for my first marathon. As soon as I increased my mileage, I developed a severe arch pain and the lump came back (the lump comes and goes). I saw a GP for the arch pain and without any X-rays or tests, he diagnosed me with PF and told me to get over the counter orthotics, which have done NOTHING. I don't have any heel pain. I have an appt. with a podiatrist next week, but was curious if anyone else here has similar symptoms and were also diagnosed with PF? Thanks for your input.

Re: Arch pain with a lump

Carole C on 11/15/01 at 12:03 (064829)

Do you think that the lump might be a muscle spasm in your arch? That thought occurred to me since it seems to come and go, happened when you were increasing your mileage, and since it was accompanied by pain. Did the pain lessen when the lump went away?

Wendy K on 11/16/01 at 11:21 (064872)

I did think about muscle spasm, but the lump isn't hard like you would normally feel with a cramp. It is very soft and pliable, like there is a lot of fluid/swelling in one isolated spot (about 1' in diameter). And, no, the pain doesn't lessen when the lump isn't there, but the pain is very isolated. It also doesn't seem to be any better or worse during the day, although it is usually a little better in the morning after I have rested my foot for the night (which isn't symptomatic of PF).

Carole C on 11/16/01 at 19:51 (064894)

From what I've read about PF, you are right...... it doesn't sound like PF. Maybe you should get a consulting opinion!

Carole

Carole C on 11/15/01 at 12:03 (064829)

Do you think that the lump might be a muscle spasm in your arch? That thought occurred to me since it seems to come and go, happened when you were increasing your mileage, and since it was accompanied by pain. Did the pain lessen when the lump went away?

Wendy K on 11/16/01 at 11:21 (064872)

I did think about muscle spasm, but the lump isn't hard like you would normally feel with a cramp. It is very soft and pliable, like there is a lot of fluid/swelling in one isolated spot (about 1' in diameter). And, no, the pain doesn't lessen when the lump isn't there, but the pain is very isolated. It also doesn't seem to be any better or worse during the day, although it is usually a little better in the morning after I have rested my foot for the night (which isn't symptomatic of PF).

Carole C on 11/16/01 at 19:51 (064894)

From what I've read about PF, you are right...... it doesn't sound like PF. Maybe you should get a consulting opinion!

Carole