Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I am stil doing good!!

Posted by Rekha sharma on 11/15/01 at 11:47 (064827)

Hi everyone...I had eswt 4 times in the last year and a half, and it is the best decision I ever made in my life...My feet are doing very well...I hardly ever think about them anymore..I don't cringe when I get up in the morning..and take my first step.

I have my life back.....

e-mail me if you want to try this...(email removed)

Re: I am stil doing good!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/16/01 at 04:51 (064858)

Good to hear your feet are pain-free !!!

Peter T on 2/03/02 at 22:15 (072502)

I have Insertional Achilles Tendonitis. I am close to deciding to have surgery (take down achilles) but interested in alternative treatments.

I formerly ran 80 kms per week, and was a keen triathlete. I have not run seriously for 3 years due to heel pain. Cycling causes no problem.

In the absence of running I have a small awareness of the heel but no real pain.

I am 49 years old and have run competitively for 15 years.

Any thoughts you have would be most appreciated.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/04/02 at 15:23 (072548)

Hi

Another option would be ESWT. This is a non-invasive procedure that is very effection for insertional achilles tendonitis with or without spur formation. We have been using ESWT for over two years with very effective pain resolution

Jack W. on 2/04/02 at 17:57 (072569)

Hi Peter: I am also a runner and I also have Achilles Insertional Tendonitis (with Calcification). It has now been 5 years since I first developed this problem. Although I continued to maintain my mileage at around 35 to 40 miles per week during this time, I was only able to do long runs of up to 8 miles before the pain became too much. I read about ESWT on this site. After a visit to a prominent podiatrist in NJ my choices were simple. Surgery and up to a one year total recovery or ESWT. I chose to try ESWT and visited the now world famous Dr. Z for my first treatment on Sept. 8, 2001. I have now had a total of three treatments, the last was at the end of January. At this point I am NOT cured. My right foot (the bad foot) still feels different from the left foot. I still get occassional burning, aching and other sensations in my foot. The healing is now at a snails pace. But make no mistake, there has been a great deal of healing. At this point I am NOT considering surgery. I have bumped my mileage up to 40 plus per week. I am doing a tempo, interval and long run every week. There is a half marathon in my future (March 3, 2002) and possibly a marathon in May. There is no way I could even considered all of this if not for ESWT. If you would like to e-mail off of this board feel free to contact me at (email removed). Good luck.

john h on 2/05/02 at 10:26 (072631)

jack w as a former runner it seems to me that a complete and total rest from running would be in order. have you considered that? i know about the addiction to running because I had it for 15 years. i also continued to run and ran myself into PF hell. one of my running buddies (a doctor) had surgery on his achilles tendon and yes it stopped him from running for over a year. he is back now and seems ok. good luck and take a rest buddy.

Peter T on 2/05/02 at 15:46 (072659)

Complete rest from running is exactly where I have ended up, though it was more or less enforced. I could tolerate some running but it was affecting me day to day - couldnt even walk around the office without a limp. So now I just cycle and swim.

ESWT looks like the lowest risk option, with surgery still to be considered if not successful.

Permanent cesation of running is not an option for me.

Thanks for your thoughts.

John h on 2/05/02 at 18:22 (072685)

Peter without a question ESWT is one of your best options. What city do you live in? I am afraid you are like me in that you continued to run long after your body said 'quit!'.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/16/01 at 04:51 (064858)

Good to hear your feet are pain-free !!!

Peter T on 2/03/02 at 22:15 (072502)

I have Insertional Achilles Tendonitis. I am close to deciding to have surgery (take down achilles) but interested in alternative treatments.

I formerly ran 80 kms per week, and was a keen triathlete. I have not run seriously for 3 years due to heel pain. Cycling causes no problem.

In the absence of running I have a small awareness of the heel but no real pain.

I am 49 years old and have run competitively for 15 years.

Any thoughts you have would be most appreciated.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/04/02 at 15:23 (072548)

Hi

Another option would be ESWT. This is a non-invasive procedure that is very effection for insertional achilles tendonitis with or without spur formation. We have been using ESWT for over two years with very effective pain resolution

Jack W. on 2/04/02 at 17:57 (072569)

Hi Peter: I am also a runner and I also have Achilles Insertional Tendonitis (with Calcification). It has now been 5 years since I first developed this problem. Although I continued to maintain my mileage at around 35 to 40 miles per week during this time, I was only able to do long runs of up to 8 miles before the pain became too much. I read about ESWT on this site. After a visit to a prominent podiatrist in NJ my choices were simple. Surgery and up to a one year total recovery or ESWT. I chose to try ESWT and visited the now world famous Dr. Z for my first treatment on Sept. 8, 2001. I have now had a total of three treatments, the last was at the end of January. At this point I am NOT cured. My right foot (the bad foot) still feels different from the left foot. I still get occassional burning, aching and other sensations in my foot. The healing is now at a snails pace. But make no mistake, there has been a great deal of healing. At this point I am NOT considering surgery. I have bumped my mileage up to 40 plus per week. I am doing a tempo, interval and long run every week. There is a half marathon in my future (March 3, 2002) and possibly a marathon in May. There is no way I could even considered all of this if not for ESWT. If you would like to e-mail off of this board feel free to contact me at (email removed). Good luck.

john h on 2/05/02 at 10:26 (072631)

jack w as a former runner it seems to me that a complete and total rest from running would be in order. have you considered that? i know about the addiction to running because I had it for 15 years. i also continued to run and ran myself into PF hell. one of my running buddies (a doctor) had surgery on his achilles tendon and yes it stopped him from running for over a year. he is back now and seems ok. good luck and take a rest buddy.

Peter T on 2/05/02 at 15:46 (072659)

Complete rest from running is exactly where I have ended up, though it was more or less enforced. I could tolerate some running but it was affecting me day to day - couldnt even walk around the office without a limp. So now I just cycle and swim.

ESWT looks like the lowest risk option, with surgery still to be considered if not successful.

Permanent cesation of running is not an option for me.

Thanks for your thoughts.

John h on 2/05/02 at 18:22 (072685)

Peter without a question ESWT is one of your best options. What city do you live in? I am afraid you are like me in that you continued to run long after your body said 'quit!'.