Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

post op...24hrs.

Posted by wallyh on 11/16/01 at 07:28 (064860)

Hi there,

I had EPF procedure about 24 hours ago. I'll have to say I was quite happy with the treatment and care I got at the surgery center, from the staff and all the docs. The procedure took about an hour. I was given a local and a sedative, 'twilight', I believe. The twilight experience was wonderful, in fact when I was in the recovery room if I could just go back in for some more 'twilight therapy.' The doctor, of course declined. I have been doing all the post op stuff suggested, and I'm experiencing little if any pain, which concerned me. I called my pod last night as my toes are still numb and tingly and he told me that he had injected a fair amount of 'block' so I wouldn't probably experience the pain until today. Has anyone had this experience of tingly, numb, toes after surgery. Any feedback would be helpful, and thanks for your support now, and in the past.

Wally

Re: post op...24hrs.

BrianG on 11/16/01 at 11:00 (064870)

Hi Wally,

I believe your doc has been straight with you. It's faily easy to numb your foor for 24 hours. If your anything like me, you'll have big pain when the local finally wears off later today. Did your doc prescribe any pain meds for you? If not, I'd think about calling him back and getting a script. It'll be much easier to do it today, then on Saturday. Keep your foot elevated, ice it alot, and walk on it as little as possible. Good luck

BCG

wallyh on 11/16/01 at 11:43 (064873)

To BCG,
Thanks. My doc wrote me out a scrip two weeks before the surgery. I called this morning again just to check in, and they said it can actually stay numb for 48 hrs, and not to worry, so I'm not. They had me do a circulation check and everything was fine. This afternoon my foot is starting to feel like a foot rather than a club and there is some pain, but it is not excruciating, but I'l take your advice and start bracing for tonight. If I could only find that anesthesiolgist.

Thanks,
Wally

Laurie R on 11/17/01 at 00:27 (064899)

Hi Wally , I think it is wonderful you have no pain . I have had blocks before ,not for surgery , just to numb my foot due to pain . Mine would last for about 12 hours . I do know they have longer acting ones. Let's hope you continue to be pain free . If you do feel the pain to start take your pain meds. Don't wait till the pain is bad , then the meds won't work every well. Keep us posted . I wish you only the best......Laurie R

Re: post op...24hrs. laurie

wallyh on 11/17/01 at 11:11 (064910)

Laurie,

Yes Laurie the blocks can last up to 48 hrs., and last night I began to feel pain but very lttle. I took a Vicoden, which worked great for the pain, except it gave mea little problem with sleep. (I'm one of those who gets an opposite reaction.) This morning I was a little afraid to get out of bed, but I put my faux -Teva- velcro -removable cast on and again I am feeling just a little pain in the heel area, but none in the rest of my foot and there is no swelling. I suspect that by this evening it may hurt a little more. I am resting as best as I can, and just getting up to do little things...go to the kitchen etc. I feel very lucky I can get around and I don't feel plowed over by this thing. I was in very good physical shape pre-op, thanks to the fact that I could still bike...just couldn't walk, and I'm suspecting that may have something to do with this. My doc was also very pleased with cut he made. Said it was one of the cleanest he had ever done. Guess it was my lucky day. So thanks for your input, and others too. I appreciate being able to chat.

Thanks,
Wally

BrianG on 11/18/01 at 11:11 (064945)

Hey Wally, how ya doing? About the Vicodan, it is codeine based and can keep many people awake at night. If your still in pain, you may want to ask your doc for a morphine based med, as they are usally more sedating. One name I can think of is, Hydromrphone. Not quite sure of the spelling, but your doc will know. So, how is the pain these days? Good luck

BCG

wallyh on 11/18/01 at 16:43 (064959)

BCG,

Thanks for asking. I'm going great! Pain is minimal, a little rougher towards the end of the night. One thing...I threw my damn neck out from walking around, as my gait had changed. I think my neck hurts more than my foot. I'm using the meds more effectively now, lower doses, spaced evenly instead of bombing my self. I slept fine last night. Not a bit of swelling. I see the doc tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Things are going so much better than I would have expected.

Wally

BrianG on 11/16/01 at 11:00 (064870)

Hi Wally,

I believe your doc has been straight with you. It's faily easy to numb your foor for 24 hours. If your anything like me, you'll have big pain when the local finally wears off later today. Did your doc prescribe any pain meds for you? If not, I'd think about calling him back and getting a script. It'll be much easier to do it today, then on Saturday. Keep your foot elevated, ice it alot, and walk on it as little as possible. Good luck

BCG

wallyh on 11/16/01 at 11:43 (064873)

To BCG,
Thanks. My doc wrote me out a scrip two weeks before the surgery. I called this morning again just to check in, and they said it can actually stay numb for 48 hrs, and not to worry, so I'm not. They had me do a circulation check and everything was fine. This afternoon my foot is starting to feel like a foot rather than a club and there is some pain, but it is not excruciating, but I'l take your advice and start bracing for tonight. If I could only find that anesthesiolgist.

Thanks,
Wally

Laurie R on 11/17/01 at 00:27 (064899)

Hi Wally , I think it is wonderful you have no pain . I have had blocks before ,not for surgery , just to numb my foot due to pain . Mine would last for about 12 hours . I do know they have longer acting ones. Let's hope you continue to be pain free . If you do feel the pain to start take your pain meds. Don't wait till the pain is bad , then the meds won't work every well. Keep us posted . I wish you only the best......Laurie R

wallyh on 11/17/01 at 11:11 (064910)

Laurie,

Yes Laurie the blocks can last up to 48 hrs., and last night I began to feel pain but very lttle. I took a Vicoden, which worked great for the pain, except it gave mea little problem with sleep. (I'm one of those who gets an opposite reaction.) This morning I was a little afraid to get out of bed, but I put my faux -Teva- velcro -removable cast on and again I am feeling just a little pain in the heel area, but none in the rest of my foot and there is no swelling. I suspect that by this evening it may hurt a little more. I am resting as best as I can, and just getting up to do little things...go to the kitchen etc. I feel very lucky I can get around and I don't feel plowed over by this thing. I was in very good physical shape pre-op, thanks to the fact that I could still bike...just couldn't walk, and I'm suspecting that may have something to do with this. My doc was also very pleased with cut he made. Said it was one of the cleanest he had ever done. Guess it was my lucky day. So thanks for your input, and others too. I appreciate being able to chat.

Thanks,
Wally

BrianG on 11/18/01 at 11:11 (064945)

Hey Wally, how ya doing? About the Vicodan, it is codeine based and can keep many people awake at night. If your still in pain, you may want to ask your doc for a morphine based med, as they are usally more sedating. One name I can think of is, Hydromrphone. Not quite sure of the spelling, but your doc will know. So, how is the pain these days? Good luck

BCG

wallyh on 11/18/01 at 16:43 (064959)

BCG,

Thanks for asking. I'm going great! Pain is minimal, a little rougher towards the end of the night. One thing...I threw my damn neck out from walking around, as my gait had changed. I think my neck hurts more than my foot. I'm using the meds more effectively now, lower doses, spaced evenly instead of bombing my self. I slept fine last night. Not a bit of swelling. I see the doc tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Things are going so much better than I would have expected.

Wally