Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is there anyway to get rid of PF?

Posted by ScottW on 11/16/01 at 08:29 (064863)

I am a 30 year old civil engineer with a desk job (for which I am extremely grateful) and my feet began hurting at the end of winter this past year (2001). I was playing basketball twice a week for about 2 hours each time. My feet gradually got worse and worse and yet I have played basketball for years without any foot problems except for a few ankle sprains. They got so bad that I could hardly stand to put any pressure on them at all. I gave up basketball entirely hoping that rest would heal them. Well, It has been 7 to 8 months and I feel very little improvement. My feet hurt over the entire bottom of the foot. They are just really sore and tired feet after having been on them for any length of time. I can only be on them for about 5 to 10 minutes before I have to sit down somewhere. Walking/standing on concrete floors is the worst, while walking/standing on grass and plush carpet are the best. I have seen a podiatrist, a sports medicine doctor, physical therapists, and an orthopedic doctor. I have tried stretching, taping, icing, night splints, 2 sets of custom orthotics, and anti-inflammatory drugs. Nothing has worked. This web site has been the best source of information but it is still hard to find anyone with similar symptoms to myself (i.e. pain/burning in both the heel and ball of both feet). The icing does take the immediate pain/burning away though. The only way my feet don't hurt is by staying off of them and keeping them propped up on a stool of some sort. I have taken up swimming for exercise but I sure do miss playing basketball and tennis. I can still golf as long as I get a golf cart and sit a lot while golfing. Is this ever going to get better, and if so how long can I expect this to last? Is there anything else that I should do to help my feet heal?

Re: Is there anyway to get rid of PF?

Pauline on 11/16/01 at 16:54 (064882)

Scott, there is light at the end of the tunnel. My experience is that P.F.
seems to take it's own time to go away. The only control we have, is to
try the various treatment options available to us. After having it 3 times
I've come to the conclusion of all the treatments I've tried 'REST' is the most important. My bouts lasted from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years each and I think I tried just about everything out there to cure it except ESWT and surgery.

P.F. is one of those diseases and I don't know if disease is the correct term that you really have to devote time to and be very faithful and consistant in following your doctors orders about rest, icing, anti-inflammatories, splints, stretches, exercises, physical therapy taping and all the other things that they tell you to do.

Fortunately for me I was able to spend a great deal of time off my feet. I didn't have to work and I made up my mind to give up some of my regular 'fun' things like golf etc. I devoted the last 18 months of my life to my feet. What a devotion---there are certainly better things to do with ones life, but it paid off for me. My feet have been touched, massaged and pampered like they were made of 24K gold.

I also used and still do use Dr. Reynolds Jade Cream. Out of all the medications I tried this one helped me with pain and inflammation. You need to know that not all people that tried the cream had the same results, but I swear by the stuff.

If my pain had not gone away, I would have considered ESWt well before having any surgery, because the risk for complication is much less. The results again are not equal in all patients, but many who have had ESWT have been very satisfied with their treatment results. I believe the original 10 pioneers who went to Canada and had the Ossatron all reported
good results. You can easily check with them.

P.F. isn't one of those diseases that you can really put a time frame on.
It's different with every person. Some it's only months, others a couple of years and then there are the people who never seem to have it go away.

Physicians will tell you if you could stay off your feet eventually P.F. would go away by itself. They don't get too excited about it, but those of us who suffer with it daily, get depressed because of it, lose our jobs our families and friends would say it's not such a benign desease and the doctors that think so are nuts.

To us it's hell, but recently since experiencing an eye problem I can tell you I'd take PF over an serious eye problem any day. The same is true with Cancer or many other diseases. Everything is a matter of degree it's only when your going through it, you really realize how much it affects you mentally and physically be it P.F. or Cancer, or Eye problems.

No one wants any of these things and everyone wants a cure, but until that day arrives it's support sites like this that keep you sane, focused and encouraged. We laugh with you, cry with you, and keep your spirits up. You do the same for us and maybe for today although not being what we desperately want it's all that we get. But neverlose faith for tomorrow is new day and brings with it new hope.

I wish you a speedy recovery along with strength, hope and faith until that day arrives.

Re: Is there anyway to get rid of PF?

Pauline on 11/16/01 at 16:54 (064882)

Scott, there is light at the end of the tunnel. My experience is that P.F.
seems to take it's own time to go away. The only control we have, is to
try the various treatment options available to us. After having it 3 times
I've come to the conclusion of all the treatments I've tried 'REST' is the most important. My bouts lasted from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years each and I think I tried just about everything out there to cure it except ESWT and surgery.

P.F. is one of those diseases and I don't know if disease is the correct term that you really have to devote time to and be very faithful and consistant in following your doctors orders about rest, icing, anti-inflammatories, splints, stretches, exercises, physical therapy taping and all the other things that they tell you to do.

Fortunately for me I was able to spend a great deal of time off my feet. I didn't have to work and I made up my mind to give up some of my regular 'fun' things like golf etc. I devoted the last 18 months of my life to my feet. What a devotion---there are certainly better things to do with ones life, but it paid off for me. My feet have been touched, massaged and pampered like they were made of 24K gold.

I also used and still do use Dr. Reynolds Jade Cream. Out of all the medications I tried this one helped me with pain and inflammation. You need to know that not all people that tried the cream had the same results, but I swear by the stuff.

If my pain had not gone away, I would have considered ESWt well before having any surgery, because the risk for complication is much less. The results again are not equal in all patients, but many who have had ESWT have been very satisfied with their treatment results. I believe the original 10 pioneers who went to Canada and had the Ossatron all reported
good results. You can easily check with them.

P.F. isn't one of those diseases that you can really put a time frame on.
It's different with every person. Some it's only months, others a couple of years and then there are the people who never seem to have it go away.

Physicians will tell you if you could stay off your feet eventually P.F. would go away by itself. They don't get too excited about it, but those of us who suffer with it daily, get depressed because of it, lose our jobs our families and friends would say it's not such a benign desease and the doctors that think so are nuts.

To us it's hell, but recently since experiencing an eye problem I can tell you I'd take PF over an serious eye problem any day. The same is true with Cancer or many other diseases. Everything is a matter of degree it's only when your going through it, you really realize how much it affects you mentally and physically be it P.F. or Cancer, or Eye problems.

No one wants any of these things and everyone wants a cure, but until that day arrives it's support sites like this that keep you sane, focused and encouraged. We laugh with you, cry with you, and keep your spirits up. You do the same for us and maybe for today although not being what we desperately want it's all that we get. But neverlose faith for tomorrow is new day and brings with it new hope.

I wish you a speedy recovery along with strength, hope and faith until that day arrives.