Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

john h

Posted by adam p on 11/16/01 at 09:28 (064865)

John, would you please post more about the down-lineman
who suffered a complete tear. I'd like to lean more
about his story.

Thanks in advance,

AP

P.S. Thanks, also for contributing a lot here through your posts.
Your just about the dean of the posters here who are patients.

Re: john h

john h on 11/16/01 at 17:07 (064883)

Adam it was early this year that I read about one of the NFL players who completly tore his fascia loose from his heel. I think he was a downlineman from Kansas City but cannot rembember for sure. I will relate another story much closer to home. One of my doctors is an orthopedic foot an ankle surgeon at the University of Arkansas Medical Center in Little Rock.A large teaching hospital She does a lot of rigorus things like swimming with the sharks in south america, etc. She told me she had been having a bad case of PF for some time and during one of her activities she completely tore her fasia loose from the heel. She said since that time she has no more heel pain and that has been many years ago. I see her routinely at our health club.

wallyh on 11/18/01 at 09:55 (064938)

John,

Happened to a friend of mine too. She had p/f for ages and was playing softball, heard a pop, went to the doctor the next day. The doctor told her she had torn torn the fascia from her heel. She had little or no pain and went on to recovery completely. Go figure.

Wally

Re: wallyh

john h on 11/20/01 at 09:19 (064990)

i have read about several athletes who tore the fascia completely loose from the heel. the paper said the nfl lineman was expected to miss 6 weeks. that is amazing since even after surgery with a PF release of only 60-80% of plantar fascia the recovery can take up to a year. i think that clearly the medical profession does not have a clear grasp of this disease. What we call PF is probably many different diseases or injuries that produce similar symptoms. Many people have heelspurs with no pain but any person who has a heelspur and pain is almost always automatically diagnosed with PF. No one can authoratively say what the pain generator is in PF. Well respected doctors in this field have different theories. Dr Baxter thinks the pain in PF comes from the Baxter Nerve under the fascia. Many others think it is from inflamation of the fascia, and so forth. The truth is it probably like cancer in that there are many types of PF that will respond differently to various treatments.

john h on 11/16/01 at 17:07 (064883)

Adam it was early this year that I read about one of the NFL players who completly tore his fascia loose from his heel. I think he was a downlineman from Kansas City but cannot rembember for sure. I will relate another story much closer to home. One of my doctors is an orthopedic foot an ankle surgeon at the University of Arkansas Medical Center in Little Rock.A large teaching hospital She does a lot of rigorus things like swimming with the sharks in south america, etc. She told me she had been having a bad case of PF for some time and during one of her activities she completely tore her fasia loose from the heel. She said since that time she has no more heel pain and that has been many years ago. I see her routinely at our health club.

wallyh on 11/18/01 at 09:55 (064938)

John,

Happened to a friend of mine too. She had p/f for ages and was playing softball, heard a pop, went to the doctor the next day. The doctor told her she had torn torn the fascia from her heel. She had little or no pain and went on to recovery completely. Go figure.

Wally

Re: wallyh

john h on 11/20/01 at 09:19 (064990)

i have read about several athletes who tore the fascia completely loose from the heel. the paper said the nfl lineman was expected to miss 6 weeks. that is amazing since even after surgery with a PF release of only 60-80% of plantar fascia the recovery can take up to a year. i think that clearly the medical profession does not have a clear grasp of this disease. What we call PF is probably many different diseases or injuries that produce similar symptoms. Many people have heelspurs with no pain but any person who has a heelspur and pain is almost always automatically diagnosed with PF. No one can authoratively say what the pain generator is in PF. Well respected doctors in this field have different theories. Dr Baxter thinks the pain in PF comes from the Baxter Nerve under the fascia. Many others think it is from inflamation of the fascia, and so forth. The truth is it probably like cancer in that there are many types of PF that will respond differently to various treatments.