Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Four weeks after surgery

Posted by Sue D on 11/16/01 at 14:00 (064879)

Hi everyone. I thought I'd let you know how I'm doing four weeks after having my left heel spur removed. I am doing well. I now longer wrap my foot and can now wear my left orthotic again. So now I can wear my regular New Balance shoes as well as my work boots. I have minimal pain now, mostly my foot just tells me when it's time to give it a rest. I don't feel comfortable just standing still yet so I make sure I can sit somewhere. I feel the operation was a definite success especially since I'm getting better everyday. It was great seeing the before and after xrays of my left foot. No more nasty heel spur! I realize I may have a higher pain tolerance than some. But I knew having the operation was the only way I was going to get my life back to some semblance of normal. And since I can work more normally now my right foot and knee are feeling better. I still have some days when my foot gets more tired but I feel that's normal for this stage in my healing process.

I wish the same success for the rest of you who are possibly facing heel spur removal surgery. There certainly are a lot of us out there with heel spur problems...Sue

Re: Hi Sue!

Paula G. on 11/17/01 at 16:17 (064914)

Howdy Sue. I have been wondering how you are doing. I am so glad you are doing well. Good for you..

Sue D. on 11/18/01 at 16:32 (064957)

Thanks, Paula. Hi hope you are doing well also. Are you still planning on having your other foot done? I'm assuming it won't have any nerve entrapment.

Re: Four weeks after surgery

Maureen S. on 11/18/01 at 23:50 (064975)

Hi Sue,
It is so nice for everyone to hear such wonderful news,I am so happy for you!!! I am also post-op, but Iam 5 wks from having TTS and Pf surg and all is going very well for me too at this point.
Take care and keep us informed.
Love and friendship,
Maureen

Paula on 11/25/01 at 18:57 (065240)

Hi Sue, I have had problems accessing this board and just read your message. YES, I am having the other foot done in the summer. I have my up and down days. Some days, nothing feels different to me and I get discouraged. Other days are better. Time, time and then some more time. I felt good that I went to church today without the crutches! Usually if I do any walking like that I need them. How are you doing with that?

Sue D on 11/26/01 at 13:51 (065309)

Hi Maureen, glad to hear you are doing well. People need to hear from those of us who are doing well. Everyday I hear of more people who have heel spurs. They need to know that surgery can be a success. I hope you continue to do well...Sue

Sue D on 11/26/01 at 13:54 (065310)

Hang in there Paula. Your incision was much more involved than mine. But it does sound like you are doing better. Your next surgery will be a breeze compared to this one especially since you will know what to expect. Keep us posted on how you are doing...Sue

Ami P. on 11/26/01 at 21:41 (065355)

Hi Sue! I am very happy that your recovery is going very well. My surgery has gone just as wonderful. I was prepared for the worst, and so far, my surgery and recovery have been much better than I anticipated. My Dr. did find nerve problems when he got in, but we had discussed the probability of that beforehand and he took care of it. I am about 5 1/2 weeks out from surgery and my Dr. wants me to wear this 'boot' (I forgot the official name) every moment of the day, except when showering. I put my orthotic in it, but I haven't graduated to a shoe yet. I occassionally do take a pain pill (Darvocet) if I over-do it during the day. I've done that on a few occassions. But overall, I have about three more weeks in the boot and then I guess I get to wear a shoe. But overall, I have been extremely pleased with my current condition and the prognosis. I Dr. has also expressed his delight in my healing. But I give that glory to God!
Again, I very happy for you. I hope all continues to go well.

Paula G. on 11/17/01 at 16:17 (064914)

Howdy Sue. I have been wondering how you are doing. I am so glad you are doing well. Good for you..

Sue D. on 11/18/01 at 16:32 (064957)

Thanks, Paula. Hi hope you are doing well also. Are you still planning on having your other foot done? I'm assuming it won't have any nerve entrapment.

Maureen S. on 11/18/01 at 23:50 (064975)

Hi Sue,
It is so nice for everyone to hear such wonderful news,I am so happy for you!!! I am also post-op, but Iam 5 wks from having TTS and Pf surg and all is going very well for me too at this point.
Take care and keep us informed.
Love and friendship,
Maureen

Paula on 11/25/01 at 18:57 (065240)

Hi Sue, I have had problems accessing this board and just read your message. YES, I am having the other foot done in the summer. I have my up and down days. Some days, nothing feels different to me and I get discouraged. Other days are better. Time, time and then some more time. I felt good that I went to church today without the crutches! Usually if I do any walking like that I need them. How are you doing with that?

Sue D on 11/26/01 at 13:51 (065309)

Hi Maureen, glad to hear you are doing well. People need to hear from those of us who are doing well. Everyday I hear of more people who have heel spurs. They need to know that surgery can be a success. I hope you continue to do well...Sue

Sue D on 11/26/01 at 13:54 (065310)

Hang in there Paula. Your incision was much more involved than mine. But it does sound like you are doing better. Your next surgery will be a breeze compared to this one especially since you will know what to expect. Keep us posted on how you are doing...Sue

Ami P. on 11/26/01 at 21:41 (065355)

Hi Sue! I am very happy that your recovery is going very well. My surgery has gone just as wonderful. I was prepared for the worst, and so far, my surgery and recovery have been much better than I anticipated. My Dr. did find nerve problems when he got in, but we had discussed the probability of that beforehand and he took care of it. I am about 5 1/2 weeks out from surgery and my Dr. wants me to wear this 'boot' (I forgot the official name) every moment of the day, except when showering. I put my orthotic in it, but I haven't graduated to a shoe yet. I occassionally do take a pain pill (Darvocet) if I over-do it during the day. I've done that on a few occassions. But overall, I have about three more weeks in the boot and then I guess I get to wear a shoe. But overall, I have been extremely pleased with my current condition and the prognosis. I Dr. has also expressed his delight in my healing. But I give that glory to God!
Again, I very happy for you. I hope all continues to go well.