Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain after ESWT

Posted by Elise J on 11/16/01 at 22:23 (064895)

I really appreciated this board. I had my ESWT 5 weeks ago, I took three weeks off and now after two weeks back at work the pain is not good. Granted I am on my feet for 8 hours and that is probably slowing my progress. I have pain pills that help alot. I can say this for the foot pain, it is definitely different than before my procedure. I was told no ice, wear shoes with arch support, and do not go bare foot except for a shower, and no anti-inflamatories or asperines. I do the stretching exercises. Is there any thing else I can do to ease the pain. Most of the time my ankle hurts, and the whole foot sort of throbs and aches. Any suggestions out there. FYI, I have Cigna, and they refused so this is all out-of-pocket. Thanks

Re: Pain after ESWT

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/17/01 at 07:20 (064901)

An ankle elastic support could help you. I believe that nsaid can be used by you check with your treating doctor. Wear shower shoes Sometime a boot cast may be needed if you are really on your feet

kellys on 11/29/01 at 20:28 (065689)

I realize every case responds a little differently to ESWT, but my feet are responding reasonably well to the treatment. I have found it particularly interesting that my improvement has happened in stages, some immediate relief, then a plateau, then more at 4 weeks, again a plateau then even some worsening of the symptoms before the biggest pain breakthrough at 8-9 weeks. I am not pain free yet, but I can generally go about my daily routine with very little pain, and am even working up to some time on an elliptical trainer, a bike, and a treadmill with the proper shoes and orthotics. This is a dramatic improvement, but it did NOT seem quite this dramatic until the 2-month mark. I'd encourage you to be patient and communicate with your doctor regarding his or her recovery protocol. I have tried not to increase my activity level too quickly, stretched several times a day, and been very careful about my footwear (never barefoot). We are waiting a few more weeks to see if I'll need a second treatment, but meanwhile I am relishing every moment of the additional mobility I've gained since the ESWT.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/17/01 at 07:20 (064901)

An ankle elastic support could help you. I believe that nsaid can be used by you check with your treating doctor. Wear shower shoes Sometime a boot cast may be needed if you are really on your feet

kellys on 11/29/01 at 20:28 (065689)

I realize every case responds a little differently to ESWT, but my feet are responding reasonably well to the treatment. I have found it particularly interesting that my improvement has happened in stages, some immediate relief, then a plateau, then more at 4 weeks, again a plateau then even some worsening of the symptoms before the biggest pain breakthrough at 8-9 weeks. I am not pain free yet, but I can generally go about my daily routine with very little pain, and am even working up to some time on an elliptical trainer, a bike, and a treadmill with the proper shoes and orthotics. This is a dramatic improvement, but it did NOT seem quite this dramatic until the 2-month mark. I'd encourage you to be patient and communicate with your doctor regarding his or her recovery protocol. I have tried not to increase my activity level too quickly, stretched several times a day, and been very careful about my footwear (never barefoot). We are waiting a few more weeks to see if I'll need a second treatment, but meanwhile I am relishing every moment of the additional mobility I've gained since the ESWT.

Sharon F. on 10/21/02 at 08:03 (098006)

Hi Elise- I just came upon your very dated message; it interested me because you were 5 wks post eswt when you wrote it, which is where I am now. Sounds like your doc gave the same instructions as mine for post eswt- no ice, no meds. He did not tell me to stay off my feet for 3 weeks like you did, though. This has all been so long ago for you now, maybe you don't even remember, but I, too,am hurting much like you described in your posting. I wonder how you are doing now so many months later. I get discouraged and feel like surgery is inevitable for me, even though they say give eswt 12 weeks to do its thing. Hope to hear from you. Sharon F.

Sharon F. on 10/21/02 at 08:10 (098009)

Kelly, I'm wondering how you are doing today after eswt a few months ago? I'm 5 wks out from it. You sound like a committed exercise person, me too, and PF for 3 yrs now is choking a big part of my life but I am fighting it all the way. Please give encouragement if you can!! Sharon F.

Sharon F. on 10/21/02 at 08:03 (098006)

Hi Elise- I just came upon your very dated message; it interested me because you were 5 wks post eswt when you wrote it, which is where I am now. Sounds like your doc gave the same instructions as mine for post eswt- no ice, no meds. He did not tell me to stay off my feet for 3 weeks like you did, though. This has all been so long ago for you now, maybe you don't even remember, but I, too,am hurting much like you described in your posting. I wonder how you are doing now so many months later. I get discouraged and feel like surgery is inevitable for me, even though they say give eswt 12 weeks to do its thing. Hope to hear from you. Sharon F.

Sharon F. on 10/21/02 at 08:10 (098009)

Kelly, I'm wondering how you are doing today after eswt a few months ago? I'm 5 wks out from it. You sound like a committed exercise person, me too, and PF for 3 yrs now is choking a big part of my life but I am fighting it all the way. Please give encouragement if you can!! Sharon F.