Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What should I expect?

Posted by Carol C on 11/17/01 at 22:11 (064917)

With all the concern I have about having TTS surgery this coming Monday, I forgot to ask my doctor...what should I expect as far as dressings on my foot when I come out of surgery? Can any of you advise?

Thanks

Re: What should I expect?

cindyp on 11/23/01 at 19:10 (065117)

My own experience was this. I changed the outer bandages because they got dirty i kept the foot clean and dry let it get air every couple of days. Didn't touch area around incision. Didn't have a cast or anything just lots of bandages.

Re: What should I expect?

cindyp on 11/23/01 at 19:10 (065117)

My own experience was this. I changed the outer bandages because they got dirty i kept the foot clean and dry let it get air every couple of days. Didn't touch area around incision. Didn't have a cast or anything just lots of bandages.

Re: What should I be doing

Elizabeth O on 4/29/03 at 15:34 (117361)

I had surgery on my ankle for split tendons, tarsal tunnel and bone spurs the 4th of December. I'm still finding walking difficult - at the most I can walk 3 blocks - slowly. I'm worried about balance issues and have lots of tingling on the right side of my foot where the l shaped incision is. Every thing is still difficult to do like stairs and I still have swelling . What should I be doing? What treatment should the doctor be ordering?

Sharon W on 4/29/03 at 16:15 (117367)

Elizabeth,

That was major surgery you had. (You must have been in TERRIBLE pain before your surgery!) You should share your concerns with your doctor and make sure you describe very clearly the pain you've been having and the limitations on your movement that you're still experiencing, just as you've done here.

It may very well be, however, that you are still having pain, swelling, etc. because you are still healing from your surgery. Recovering from foot surgery often takes a LOT of time and patience -- but if it is successful at the end, then it's all worth it.

Sharon

lauriel on 4/29/03 at 17:13 (117379)

Elizabeth, As you have probably seen from everyones posts, healing is very different for each individual It sounds like you are on the right track. I only had TTS surgery on December 6th and recovery has been fairly well. I was just able to start walking about 3 blocks about 4 weeks ago and up until about a month ago had a lot on and off swelling. I did physical therapy for 2 and a half months which helped a tremendously for the first month and 1/2 then not so very much after that. I still do a lot of contrasts baths hot-cold/hot cold that help me and I ice every time I am off my feet.Does your Dr have you on any kind of therapy program. When I would go for my check ups and asked questions about the healing process, he would refer me to my PT.
Laurie