Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. Ed and Z

Posted by Carmen H on 11/18/01 at 09:14 (064937)

Hello! Me again....still pushing forward looking for a DX of my problems. REcently found out my Somato Sensory test came back with slightly abnormal Tibial Nerve activity. Which I had asked two of the docs about months ago and was told 'Noooooo you have PF.' Anyway..still pursuing my own research as it has been most effective so far in getting the proper and most effective and serious tests done so far I am wondering if you can help with something. I work at a computer allll day. I have a history (I am sure you may recall since I have repeated my self and begged your help so many times which you always so kindly respond to) hamstring, calf, sciatic nerve, and lower back strains and pains. One thing I do a lot of is thinking and journaling and noticing that this alllll started about a year after I started working at a desk job. I started really paying attention in the last week or two since the doctor is trying to diagnose me and testing for MS that when I sit at the desk about one hour into my day my legs go numb, my feet start to tingle, my baby toe goes numb, my sciatica acts up, my glutes burn (nerve pain) and my hips ache. To me this signals bad circulation to the lower extremities which if I am not mistaken can cause the nerves (tibial and otherwise) to react in pain to poor blood flow.
Am I way off here? On the weekend after I am not at the desk all day I experience some relief of everything except the foot burning pain (I am on them more on the weekend) but everything else takes a break. Tingling slows, burning isn't as severe in the glutes and back, numb toes goes away etc. My chair could be causing the circulation to cut off by hitting my legs wrong as well....? What do you think? Honestly you're the only doctors that have repeatedly had input that makes sense and is thought about and not just a quick answer.
I appreciate you so much.

Carmen

Re: Dr. Ed and Z

Julie on 11/18/01 at 16:32 (064956)

Carmen, I'm butting in here, not because I think I have the answer to your whole trying complex of dilemmas, but because anyone, ANYONE, who works at a computer all day has got to get up and move around - often, whether they have foot problems, nerve problems, back problems, or no problems at all. The fittest, healthiest body in the world needs to MOVE, because that's what the body is made to do. If your numbness, tingling and burning start after you've been sitting for an hour, that means that you need to get up and move around before it happens. Do something else for awhile. Take a break.

And there are lots of exercises you can do sitting at your desk. I've written a whole book about them, out of my own experience of 30 years at a desk. I still spend too much time at a computer, and don't always take my own advice, but if you take it I'm sure you will find it a help, if not the solution to your problems.

Now I'll shut up and leave it to the doctors to dig into the problems.

Take care.

Re: Julie

Carmen H on 11/18/01 at 18:52 (064963)

You can always butt in!!! Of course! But I do get up every 10-15 minutes...have been for about a year now and do stretching and stuff on the floor or take the dog out to get blood flowing.
It's the whole picture I am trying to put together.....
You better keep giving me advice..I look for it. ;-)

Re: Dr. Ed and Z

Julie on 11/18/01 at 16:32 (064956)

Carmen, I'm butting in here, not because I think I have the answer to your whole trying complex of dilemmas, but because anyone, ANYONE, who works at a computer all day has got to get up and move around - often, whether they have foot problems, nerve problems, back problems, or no problems at all. The fittest, healthiest body in the world needs to MOVE, because that's what the body is made to do. If your numbness, tingling and burning start after you've been sitting for an hour, that means that you need to get up and move around before it happens. Do something else for awhile. Take a break.

And there are lots of exercises you can do sitting at your desk. I've written a whole book about them, out of my own experience of 30 years at a desk. I still spend too much time at a computer, and don't always take my own advice, but if you take it I'm sure you will find it a help, if not the solution to your problems.

Now I'll shut up and leave it to the doctors to dig into the problems.

Take care.

Re: Julie

Carmen H on 11/18/01 at 18:52 (064963)

You can always butt in!!! Of course! But I do get up every 10-15 minutes...have been for about a year now and do stretching and stuff on the floor or take the dog out to get blood flowing.
It's the whole picture I am trying to put together.....
You better keep giving me advice..I look for it. ;-)