Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Taking a pain killer before emg

Posted by Meg on 11/20/01 at 18:50 (065016)

Can anyone tell me if taking a prescription pain killer before having the emg test done would interfer with the test? I was told the test would take 1 1/2 hours. Do they normally test both feet and legs for this even if there are no symptoms in the other one?

Re: Taking a pain killer before emg

wendyn on 11/20/01 at 21:08 (065028)

Meg, I doubt that taking a Tylenol would interfere - call the office ahead of time to be sure. As far as I know, they usually test both legs to compare the two.

Meg on 11/21/01 at 09:16 (065046)

I'm talking about a presription pain killer, not Tylenol. But thanks for the reply anyway.

Laurie R on 11/21/01 at 11:00 (065050)

Hi , I think Wendyn is right , they would do both feet and legs to compare the two . When I had mine done it was on both . I only have problems with one foot.

Also call your doctor and ask if it is ok if oyu take the pain pill first.. I don't think it will help , unless it is nerve meds like Nuerontin or something like that . Laurie R

PS If I remember right , when I had my done I took a Vicoden and it did not help .....

Megan C on 11/21/01 at 18:29 (065067)

Meg, I had an emg about a year ago. mine took no where near an hour and a half. they have to test both feet so they have something to compare the injured foot to. Don't worry about the pain. I was so nervous about it, but it ended up being not so bad. I hope this eased your fear a little, I am a big baby when it comes to thiings like that, but don't worry about it.

Megan

wendyn on 11/21/01 at 23:41 (065076)

Meg, since you didn't specifiy - I assumed a simple over the counter med.

If you're thinking of taking anything check with the clinic or your doctor first.

wendyn on 11/20/01 at 21:08 (065028)

Meg, I doubt that taking a Tylenol would interfere - call the office ahead of time to be sure. As far as I know, they usually test both legs to compare the two.

Meg on 11/21/01 at 09:16 (065046)

I'm talking about a presription pain killer, not Tylenol. But thanks for the reply anyway.

Laurie R on 11/21/01 at 11:00 (065050)

Hi , I think Wendyn is right , they would do both feet and legs to compare the two . When I had mine done it was on both . I only have problems with one foot.

Also call your doctor and ask if it is ok if oyu take the pain pill first.. I don't think it will help , unless it is nerve meds like Nuerontin or something like that . Laurie R

PS If I remember right , when I had my done I took a Vicoden and it did not help .....

Megan C on 11/21/01 at 18:29 (065067)

Meg, I had an emg about a year ago. mine took no where near an hour and a half. they have to test both feet so they have something to compare the injured foot to. Don't worry about the pain. I was so nervous about it, but it ended up being not so bad. I hope this eased your fear a little, I am a big baby when it comes to thiings like that, but don't worry about it.

Megan

wendyn on 11/21/01 at 23:41 (065076)

Meg, since you didn't specifiy - I assumed a simple over the counter med.

If you're thinking of taking anything check with the clinic or your doctor first.